Mysterious streaky spray tan?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carlz30

Reaction score
Was hoping for some advice from all those experienced spray tanners out there.

I have a friend that I regularly spray tan. SHe also happens to be a spray tanner herself too.

Three differnt ocassions that I've sprayed her, (each time using a completely different product) She's washed her tan off for the first time, after the tan development.....and underneath it looked all streaky?? particularly down the sides of her stomach. A previous time, it was just all over her, back and down her legs!! Before her first shower...the tan was completely even. SO you can imagine the shock. There are also weird dark grey patches in some spots?

WE have no idea why this keeps happening to her and It's very frustrating!!!! This has never happened to anyone else I've sprayed.

The first time two times this happened, we decided to put it down to very hot weather. It was extremely hot....so we thought that it must have been sweat causing the problem.

MInd you... I have sprayed her many times and it has turned out ok. ALthough, she did admit that she usually has at least one or two lines on her stomach or down her sides - every time!

So I'm stumped.

the last time I sprayed her (last night) it was not hot at all.

SO here are some of the reasons I can think of that may causing the problem.

1. residue from conditioner or shower gels on her skin that is stopping the tan from developing - althought we do not think that this is the culprit!

2. sweat! - It was not a hot night (as its almost winter here in Australia) However, maybe she is a night sweater?? could that explain why most of the streaks are down her sides.

3. rubbing/friction on the skin while the tan is developing? however, you would think that this would just occur in one place. Not everywhere.

Can anyone shed some light on this? or have experienced something like this with a particular client. Streaky lines keep re-occuring just on this person only?

I shook the solution well before spraying too.

thanks everyone :)

Providing you are putting the solution on in a fine mist so it's not too wet, are you allowing it to completely dry before she gets dressed? Is she wearing loose clothing? Is she sitting or driving too soon after as this can cause friction in certain areas? Has she exfoliated completely the day before and used a moisturiser to prevent any dry skin patches? Maybe you can try it earlier in the day when she can wear loose clothing and shower it off before bed time to see if it is a night time problem. If its still a problem, order a couple of different samples to see if something else is suitable.

Has Your client Exfoliated ? dried before redressing ? and wore loose clothing ? firstly if the answer to all the above is yes then this could be due to either naturally oily skin preventing the solution penetrating the Horny layer of the skin as oily skin will just sit the solution on top as it gives a water retaining layer on the skin and then just wash off, This could also be caused if your client is on certain medication, Hormone changes can also affect the take of the tan (is your client currently on monthly cycle ) Hope this helps :)
regards Alex

Thanks for all your ideas :)

The answer is yes to all those questions above!! She has properly prepared, exfoliated etc. I spray a very fine mist... No excess in any areas. She tried completely before putting on loose clothing Etc....

This has happened with three different solution/brands, that I use regularly on all my clients. This problem just seems to be happening to her only. I don't think it has anything to do with the solution.

Good idea- we can try putting it on her earlier so she doesn't has to sleep it in.

We had a similar situation in work, a girl came in streaky... And slightly green! We washed her back with a flannel and the streaks came off, the tan guide hadn't been washed off properly. Ive also seen someone after a red hot powerful shower have the same streaky effect. Xx

I used to get this when I spray tanned myself. Always down the right side of my body and leg. Took me ages to work out what was causing it. Turns out it was residue from my conditioner still on my skin. I now wash and totally rinse my hair, THEN exfoliate to ensure nothing is left on my skin. I never have this problem now. Xx

Steph- very interesting. I'll get her to check again after her next shower to see if the steaks and patches have gone away. Maybe she just needed to rinse and use a cloth to get the last stubborn bits of the guide colour off? Thanks

Let us spray - I suggested to her that it might be conditioner residue. However, she insisted that she hasn't washed her hair in the last two days- and had a couple of showers and exfoliated In between. Maybe it's soap residue?

i use to find this would happen to a few people as well, i realised that all the clients that it happened to were afternoon or late night clients and they would end up leaving it on overnight to develop. when they went to bed they were getting hot or sweaty and it would leave impressions of the sheets on their sides. so we stopped doing tans in the afternoon so they had time to develop and time to wash it off before they went to bed. no more complaints after that, and no more complaining about stained sheets either lol.

Thanks serenity spa! Yep I think the next couple of tans we will be doing early on in the day :)

Latest posts

Back