Nail biter ..problems..arghhhhhhh why did i do it!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MINKUS

Gel Junkie
Reaction score
Hi all - i need some help !!!

I found out the hard way, that my personal policy is NOT TO TOUCH severe nail biters.

A week and a half ago, I had a lovely lady - lives in the next village - call and book for extensions and gel on toes.

Arrives - shock horror - 1/2 cm of nail plate to work with.

so i get the toes out of the way.......meanwhile stressing to the client that in my experience, my experience with nail biters is not good !! Trying to talk her round to weekly manicures to get a bit of length/strength etc until they are a bit longer to apply extensions.

She was soooooooooooooo disheartened - but she knew i didnt want to do it!

She persuaded me to do them (i am still kicking myself for saying yes) ....so i did her a set of extensions with Brisa.....had to do a mix to mask the tip that was showing through....she was happy with the end result - i wasnt but i thought hey at least they are covered up so she cant nibble at them.....nearly a week passed - i was going to courtesy call her to see how she was doing - too late she rang me lost 2...when she arrived that night 5 off (confessed to nibbling them off) Obviously i charged her but got a text last night she's lost another (bet that will turn into at least 4 tonight) !!

What do it do ? she thinks is ACE she 's 'found' me and i am only down the road?????? For me i can see this being my WORST nightmare !!!!!!
icon_redface.gif

Any help mucho's appreciated!!

Sorry its sooooooooooo long

Amb xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Ahh bless you hun, you did your best and you warned her of the consequences,. But if she is willing to pay for the full set i cant see what you can do unless yu bring her back every 4/5 days.

Sorry i know that wasnt much help but hoepfully if you do that she may be able to get a bit of length on them or try an overlay on her nail and then add the tip and she has double bubble to bit through. There was a thread recently about applying a tip in this way.

x

hey hun ....you proved you could do a nail biter.........a week later and she had only started losing them that sounds pretty good to me and she admitted to nibbling them!!
I think you have made your self quite clear to her so she understands that it is'nt just plain sailing with nail biters......
Get her booked in weekly and you will notice the difference at each appointment.......if it helps this is what i do.....i take a piccie of the nail biters nails at every appointment from start to finish (whn they look like a proper nail) you would'nt believe what it does for your confidence......i show people those pictures and they are amazed!!
One of my regular weekly nail biters was dancing around the room a couple of weeks ago because her own nails had grown so much!!
Keep at it hun you can do it!!

Well giving enhancements to someone with such severe biting is not good, BUT, this lady thinks you are the bees knees, so she is obviously very pleased with what you are doing for her. To our eyes, the enhancements look anything but perfect, but to her they are wonderful because she has only ever had canibalised nails. She does not complain, is willing to pay for replacements when she nibbles them off, knows and admits she is the culprit.......none of that silly, it just pinged off stuff. So where is the problem. Whilst you are treating her nails with enhancements, her own must be growing slightly underneath, who knows, one day she might actually have produced a lovely set of natural nails which you can perform manicures on.

This lady sounds really nice, she appreciated what you do for her and that many other nail techs would not touch her with a 6 foot pole. So keep up the good work and you may have a life long client here.

I totally agree Diesel',

If this lady is determined to have her nails done, she is obviously prepared to pay you to sort them out , so yes get her in weekly.
a)Your getting the experience of awkward nails(you can only get better!)
b)Your client is pleased with your work
c)Its extra work but extra money
And when you finally do sort them out , boy you'll have such a sense of acheivement!
Well done so far, though. GO FOR IT YOU CAN DO IT!:)
diesel1978 said:
hey hun ....you proved you could do a nail biter.........a week later and she had only started losing them that sounds pretty good to me and she admitted to nibbling them!!
I think you have made your self quite clear to her so she understands that it is'nt just plain sailing with nail biters......
Get her booked in weekly and you will notice the difference at each appointment.......if it helps this is what i do.....i take a piccie of the nail biters nails at every appointment from start to finish (whn they look like a proper nail) you would'nt believe what it does for your confidence......i show people those pictures and they are amazed!!
One of my regular weekly nail biters was dancing around the room a couple of weeks ago because her own nails had grown so much!!
Keep at it hun you can do it!!

Well done for doing a nail biter and as Valburt said she only started losing them a week later. She sounds over the moon with what you have done for her.

Would sculpting them be better than tips - the reason I ask is that my daughter is a nibbler and if I tip her I can guarantee that she will lose some within a couple of weeks and then when she gets round to having a nibble she will lose some more - I sculpted hers 2 1/2 weeks ago and she is having her infills tonight - she still has got all 10 on and says they feel better than the tips. They are obviously much stronger. Just a thought :biggrin:

things should gradually ease as she gets a bit more length.until then as long as she's not moaning that they are not lasting, just do your best for her. :biggrin:

Well done babes, Nails biters are tricky...i have done a few now, and each time i do them i get more confident...but i always tell them like you did that they may have problems to start with. You gave it your best and she was happy so RESULT.... yes she may drive you round the bend for a while with her calls and repairs, but hey if shes paying and understands why they are breaking (her nibbling) then i would say grin it, bear it and bank it..

At least now i know where to send my nail biters now,,,he he he

xxxxxx

Hi amber

Try not to be disheartened you just need to work with her. It can take a long time but you find that nail biters can be your most loyal and longstanding clients. :Love:

You are totally right to charge her for replacements and you have to respect her for her honesty in admitting to nibbling at least she didn't say the old "oh they just fell off" tune. :(

Have confidence in your ability and coax and bribe her you will get great satisfaction when she has lovely nails. Retail her some solar oil, so when she feels like biting tell her to rub that in instead, it will smooth the skin around her nails and make them look much nicer. So by the time she has rubbed it in and admired her nails she may be able to resist. Plus its a great retail opportunity for you too :wink2: . Why don't you do some before and after pictures of her too, so when you do progress with her you can show her and yourself just how far you have come. It can be a long slog with them but its worth it! :hug:

I like the picture idea !! will defo do that!!!

Ange - you can keep your nail biters!!!

Thanks for all the kind words peeps.

Prob is she came sat 12th for a full set charged £30
then fri 18th 5 replacements £15
tonight was going to do it FOC

I feel bad keep taking the cash !!!

My normal repair charge is £3

Do you think i should keep charging???

Also as i am mixing a touch of white gel with the pink..........i can see them being all different shades of opaque !!! SHould i just paint them??????

Headache !!!!!!!!!!! I have had nail biters in the past and sculpted with bio sculpture - but there is no way i could get a form round her nails as i say i am not joking about 1/2 cm of nail.

I have sculpted with 'silk' and bio gel in the past but not 100% happy with results !!!!

I will try and post some piccys

Thanks again guys !!!

Amb xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hiya xx

I use the brisa mix on my nails, and i dont have any colour/shade probs. did you do a pot of it or just enough for her set ? i wouldnt worry about that, mine match.

pics please....xxx

Hi Amb,

Headache !!!!!!!!!!! I have had nail biters in the past and sculpted with bio sculpture - but there is no way i could get a form round her nails as i say i am not joking about 1/2 cm of nail.

What I do with biters is apply a small bead of L&p or Gel
Lay a small ball of L&P or Gel on the end of the finger and tip of the freeedge. Pat it flat so that it’s almost the same thickness as the natural nail and so that it spreads from sidewall to sidewall. After the L&P dries,use a small pusher or an orangewood stick to pull the client’s skin away from the hardened L&P .Then put the form underneath the L&P and continue with the sculpt. Sculpt the white tip onto the new free-edge and continue as normal.
Hths

Hi

Amber Charge her!! :eek: if you dont she will do it more beleive me start as you mean to go on hun! :biggrin:

Clients are very good at taking advantage of our good natures. If your worried about your mix mix some in a pot and keep it with her name on, or paint them foc for her to encourage her not to nibble! :|

:hug:

http://groups.msn.com/BeautyPro/sculptingbittennailswithgel.msnw

Latest posts

Back