Nail Business Advice...Help!!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cerries

Reaction score
Hi guys!

I really could do with some advice - apologies for the long post, but I'd be really grateful if you could give me some honest feedback!

Right...I work in a building society at the minute (full time) and for a while have been itching to start my own business, and would love to become a full time nail tech. So...as I live in the back of beyond, I decided to buy a home learning course, which I have bought through Stonebridge College (nail tech diploma). I am half way through that at the moment.

Then, I met someone in the town where I live who has just opened a new shop, and the floors above her shop have two beauty rooms which she is wanting to rent out to freelance beauticians. I jokingly said I would be interested in hiring the room, and, to my surprise, she said she would hold it for me until I have completed my training. With this opportunity now on my doorstep, I decided to enrol on to an acrylic extension course 100 miles away, which I have now successfully completed.

I have practised on 11 'clients' now, and have bought a Nail Trainer, which I practise on every day. I don't know anyone else that I can get to be a model, so it's not like I can keep practising on real clients.

Anyway...the lady who owns the shop is keen for me to get started as soon as possible. I'm not worried too much about starting up my business, as have a little experience of business start-ups, however I am a bit nervous that I don't have a huge amount of experience, and am so new to the industry. The shop owner is aware of this, and she has suggested charging perhaps £20 for a full set (the going rate is £30) stating that the rate is reduced as I am newly qualified.

I could, of course, walk away from this opportunity and wait until I am more experienced, however I live in a very small country town and opportunities like this come round once in a blue moon!!!

If you've made it this far thanks so much for reading! Thanks in advance for anyone who can offer any thoughts...C xxx

If you can afford to give up your day job, and survive a year or so on little money while you build up, then I would say grab the opportunity with both hands.

Hi Persian...I was thinking of hiring the space weekends first, then in a couple of months going part time at my current job - then if things really took off I would hand my notice in xxx

Riiight....
Are you only going to be charged for one day a week? If so, then fine, but can you really build a worthwhile business from a Saturday job?
I'm sorry if that sounds negative, but reading the threads on here, people giving their all to their businesses are in for a struggle, I don't really think that dunking your toe in one day a week, as newly qualified would give you the experience, speed or client numbers needed to build a business.

No hun it doesn't sound negative at all...I think the same thing myself! I am only going to be charged for a weekend at first. In an ideal world, I would LOVE to hand in my notice at my current job and through myself in whole heartedly - I am quite impulsive like this, and quite determined when I set my mind to something. However, as my husband points out, I'd be buggered if it didn't take off, as jobs are few and far between in my town...??? xx

My best and most honest advice would be to save up some cash, do it on a sat for a little while, and when you have enough saved, then go for it in a wholehearted way.
People that "play" at beauty/hair never acheive the levels of success that those of us that do it for a living do.
Always remember that there are an awful lot of us earning very good livings at this, usually because we have done it a long time.

If it was up to me hun I would take the risk...I take the view that if you're gonna do something, do it properly! I really can see myself doing this full time and working hard to perfect what I do...it's good to know that a living can be made from doing this. Are you a full time nail tech? x

No, I own a salon chain. Hair and beauty. I tend to see the industry through commercial eyes!

Aaaah...sounds fab! I guess I have a lot to learn :0)

Everyone starts out! I started out 25 years ago, as green as grass, and pretty clueless!
If you never start out, you never arrive. x

Latest posts

Back