Nail polishing

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bubbabinks

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm new to this site but think it's fab. I have only recently just got into nails.
I am taking the NVQ2 in nails evening course, so I'm not quite into all the nail jargon yet. We've done manicures and next week we're doing pedicures. I'm quite confident other then the polishing, I just go all shakie and have no confidence. I dont think I will ever get onto nail art because I cant master the polish, especially french. I have to say my husband looks lovely with pink nails, bless him. Any tips?

Thanks

P.S. Any books that you would recommend?

Hi and a big WELCOME to the site.......hope you have had a good look about and found the search facility as that will be very useful to you....

Also the tutorials......Geeg has a great Tutorial on here all about polish application you should DEFINITELY read this.....also all the tutorials on here have been turned into book form called Nailclass by Gigi Rouse....it is available through the site if you go to Geekmart.....I thoroughly recommend it.

There have been several threads & posts all about the dreaded French manicure with some excellent tips...too numerous to mention here...so do a search and happy reading.......

I hope you realise how addictive this site is!!!!

Hi Welcome to the Nail Geek site where there is lots of useful information and helpful people.
Good to hear that you are enjoying your course.
I think that polishing skills are perfected with lots of practise and will fall into place with time. Its always best to use a good brand of nail varnish, very thin rather than thick coats and allow them to dry between coats.
Its best to be in very comfortable position before you start off as well. Not hanging off the edge of the dining table for example!
Here's a link to a brilliant Tutorial written by a Gigi Rouse, who you will see on the site from time to time...Just click on the link...
Hope this helps.
http://www.thenailgeek.com/finishin...-polishing.html?highlight=precision+polishing

Thanks. Someone has recommeded OPI nail polish what do you think?

bubbabinks said:
Thanks. Someone has recommeded OPI nail polish what do you think?

Probably best for you to try a few of the professional brands and decide for yourself which you would feel comfy using.
Orly
Creative
OPI
Jessica are a few of the professional brands.

Hi and welcome!! all I can say is that polishing gets better with practise.

A tip I had from a trainer is to draw nail shapes on a piece of paper and practise polishing that, after a little time practising, when you try it on a nail, it is so much easier. try it x x x

when mastering french i found this method helped me alot
hold the finger then when you apply your white smile instead of painting with your brush..hold the brush at the tip of the nail and with you other hand roll the finger underneath the brush (ie..keep your brush still and just roll the finger underneath) that way you get your smile without the shakes.

Thanks for all your advice. I will defo try the paper trick and practising rolling the finger for french nail.:p

Latest posts

Back