Nails are splitting, weeping and sore after using Gelish-anyone else had a problem

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've spoken to several people who have seen my hands ((professionals)) and they've said it's uv lamps and not the products as it's not going on my skin, nothing's happening to the nail itself just the skin- looks like a burn ie from the lamps. And they've seen reactions to products and it doesn't look the same. Plus I needed to try again as I don't want nail varnish on my wedding day...
Thanks again

To be honest no point in any of us saying any more really . We have told you it is a product reaction ( from the information you have provided ) and advised you accordingly but you persist with the desire to put more products on your nails . .... So be it . Please do let us know how you get on . Would be very interested to hear

Good Luck

If it were a UV reaction you would have to wear gloves outside, as being out in the sunshine would also affect your hands.

I do hope that if you do go to a salon to have any further treatments, you are declaring correctly that you have suffered from allergies in the past. It wouldn't be fair to whoever does your nails otherwise.

I've spoken to several people who have seen my hands ((professionals)) and they've said it's uv lamps and not the products as it's not going on my skin, nothing's happening to the nail itself just the skin- looks like a burn ie from the lamps. And they've seen reactions to products and it doesn't look the same. Plus I needed to try again as I don't want nail varnish on my wedding day...
Thanks again

It's completely understandable that you don't want to believe that you cannot wear these products again without this happening. I would be totally gutted if it were me, but I think you do know it's a reaction and not related to using a UV lamp or you would have taken those opinions and not come here to ask again. It's a shame that more responsibility isn't taken by people who sell to the public without training. Any female would try doing this, just as most females have tried box colours on their hair.

Please stop being in denial as you are causing yourself unnecessary pain and suffering and no amount of still being able to use these nail products is worth that.

I agree it sounds like denial to me too.
This is why most of us techs are careful not to get any products on the skin or on our own skin- because we know once an allergy develops it will always be present. It would impact on our careers! So sorry it's happened to you though.

Ch-ela is right if you were allergic to uv you would be all blistered after a simple holiday or a sunny day!? The light produced by uv lamps is very low it's not even enough to cause us to tan?!

If it WAS the UV lamp that caused this (whoch i highly doubt) would the sun not cause the same problem aswell?

Its not the uv!!

I wasn't saying it was. I was tryin to prove the point that if it WAS the uv lamp, then surely her skin would react to sunlight

sorry xnailsbylisax that comment wasn't directed at you it was to the OP i completely agree with what you said sorry for the confusion :hug:

sorry xnailsbylisax that comment wasn't directed at you it was to the OP i completely agree with what you said sorry for the confusion :hug:

Ooh sorry :D thought it was aimed at me. Apologies :hug: xx

Sorry just replying...

Yes I had them done for years-but not on a regular basis (special occasions, birthdays-weddings etc.) I've been doing nails art for years using acrylics and nail polishes and doing manicures this way. But wanted to try gels. I never got any on my skin or cuticles and was hoping after doing it by myself I'd give myself I head start when I start my night course. (Which I'm now regretting!)

Yes the lady who did my nails last Sunday was fully aware about my history-would never do that. I went to her when i first had my reaction (from antibiotics-which I mentioned earlier) I had a severe allergic reaction to antibiotics which resulted in a skin reaction all over my body-items I had used all my life were now causing a problem (shampoo-I'd have a burning at the hair line. Body butter and my fingers) the doctor changed the antibiotics for another...I asked if I was having an allergic reaction to nails - he said no it the tablets. It was because of this and the nurse id seen who had told me that my body is fighting anything and to stop using products with high perfume content and the nails stuff. Which I did do...because I was told I wasn't allergic to nails I tried again. The reaction was a lot milder! Itchy, red but nails were splitting (that's when I asked for advice on here) I'm extremely grateful for everyone's help...believe me!

After a few months of not using anything but oil I thought I'd try one last time but with a pro at a salon. And the results are milder again...slight tingle but red! The redness was up to where my fingers go into the machine. I asked could it be the machine-as it didn't look like any reactions I've seen of being allergic to gels and she said yes it could be as she agreed it was a lot milder then the last time and it's not a reaction she had seen. Also she asked what it's like when my fingers are in the machine-they tingle-they always had! The hole time I've had them...which i thought was normal! The reason I put the comment up was to be like dohhhh found the answer to what's the problem! Not to upset anyone. As it could be an over exposure to light. But of course if everyone is saying it's impossible to getting a reaction to it the it must be the product - and I'll search for gel like quality in a nail varnish.

I understand about nuts-my sister has had the allergic for her whole life and yes she can't go in room with an open packet- she doesn't have to eat it to get a reaction!

Thanks again xx

I really do sympathise with you, but please stop doing this to your nails. I obviously can't comment on the Dr or the Nurse's opinion, but have you thought that they may have missed the nail product reaction because of the timing of it coinciding with the Antibiotics? Most reactions to AB's are gastro too.

I still read everything you have written as you really not wanting to believe this is happening to you, but it is and for that situation I feel sorry for you. But you really need to ask yourself what is it going to take for you to come to terms with this?

I sympathise as well. It might just be one of those things.....

Latest posts

Back