Nails changing through the decade

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lotus blossom

Reaction score
I've recently come back into nails after a five year break
Last time I worked in a salon and then for myself nails were all pink and whites mainly with the focus on a smooth transition from cuticle to zone 3 and a correct spec and curve etc
Now it seems to be ppl want the nail to be quite thick in zone 3 and then arch down to the top giving the look of " today's" nails
If you know what I mean?

And hardly anyone wants the pink and white nail now more the colours and the effects
Am I showing my age lol ?

I don't think it show age so much as how fashions have changed lol

At one point I think I went around 2 years where I didn't do any pink and White L&P! No one wanted it! I do some now but not many.

And as for a smooth zone 3....still needs to be smooth as far as I'm concerned :)

I don't think it show age so much as how fashions have changed lol

At one point I think I went around 2 years where I didn't do any pink and White L&P! No one wanted it! I do some now but not many.

And as for a smooth zone 3....still needs to be smooth as far as I'm concerned :)
Oh yes I still have it smooth but ppl just ask for it to be thicker there!!!

I do agree there's a change in trends

Much more colour and glitz, pattern and gems etc

A bit too much sometimes for my taste lol but it's not about me

It's becoming increasingly difficult for clients to choose what they want, it's overload!

Agree zone 3 will always need to be smooth [emoji5]️

I'm not sure I'm cut out for nails any more, I just don't seem to 'get' current methods :confused:

I understand the theory of reverse sculpting and extending the nail bed, I was on the CND Event when they started the coverage powders trend and I've done it for years where necessary. What I don't get is the method of putting so much product on then having to buff it back off. It seems to be those who use an e-file who do it the most, and I suppose it's quick and easy with an e-file, but it seems like such a waste. A waste of time, why put it on to file it off? A waste of product, why put it on to file it off? its the most expensive thing we use and I see some people file off probably a third of what they've applied.

I watch extremely talented and experienced techs like Kirsty Meakin and Gemma Lambert for instance, who do this with minimal filing, BUT they've had years of nails experience so they know exactly how much product to put down in the first place to make a sleek, slim, beautiful nail bed with minimal buffing, but most of the newbies trying to replicate this don't have that experience so will struggle as they produce thick nails then think they need to buy an e-file to thin the nails out again.

I don't 'get' e-files either. Maybe, again, I'm just old fashioned but I see loads of posts saying 'I just use it for debulking' - a nail shouldn't be bulky, even the stress point should only be approximately the thickness of two credit cards, and the rest of the overlay about the thickness of one. How much does it take to hand fill of the thickness of one credit card??? and it would only be in the stress area, Zones 1 & 3 would be thinner already anyway. (I will quantify that with there are those who do full 10 nail multicoloured/glittered/etc. nails that will take longer to file off so I can see the need there, but not in general day to day use) I also understand for those who have mobility issues such as carpel tunnel, etc.

I don't get the 'bulky zone 3' thing either. I understand it if you've created an extremely long stiletto nail and the stress point needs to be further back to balance the length, but I don't like the 'look' of it personally. I think it looks all 'wrong'. How many of us have clients who want nails that long all the time?? There will be some, of course, but I suspect 80% of us are producing more 'daily wear' length and style.

I do love that nail art has become so much easier with the explosion of things like stamping, decals, and glitter. I think Gel Polish has had a massive impact on the upward swing of nail art as it allows for mistakes to be rectified without ruining the whole nail which certainly put me off. It's dry immediately so you can start creating the arty stuff straight away, whereas before you had to wait for polish to dry before you could start, etc.

I'm lucky in that I have a great client base that seems to span those who love the traditional P&W french and a couple who want the latest trends so I get to keep my hand in but within my comfort zone.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back