Naming my beauty business

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hansypansy

Reaction score
Hiya, I'm planning on starting a home based salon and have been thinking about a name for it! I am a bit worried about it as I don't want to use a name that someone else has rights to. Is there a way to find out if a name is unable to use? These are some of the names I have been thinking about! Any thoughts on them would be good too!

Beauty boutique
Butterfly Beauty
The Nail and Beauty Lounge
Pamper and Polish
Inner Sparkle

Thank you so much! I have only just started using salongeek and have gotton so much help already, you guys are so amazing!! X

Hi, when choosing a name for your salon (and if you anticipate having a website at some stage), I'd check to see if whichever name you choose can also be used as a domain name. ie if you choose Inner Sparkle (which I really love by they way), then I'd check to see if | b | r | a | n | d | | n | e | w | | m | i | n | d | (or .co.uk) is available. There's no use choosing a name if you can't secure a web domain. You can check at Cheap Domain Names Registration, Domain Transfer, SSL Certificates, Free DNS, Privacy Protection • Namecheap.com

Just on whether someone else has the name. A google search will help and if they haven't trademarked the name, then you can go ahead an use it - unless they're in the same area :) To check trademarks, there are government agencies in each county. A google search should help to find them.

Just on a name again, the ones you list are really great and I suggest you look for a name that is about a benefit that your clients would get from coming too you. That's why I like Inner Sparkle. It's really friendly and if I were a potential client, it would tell me something about the sort of service I could expect - or how I might feel once I leave.

Any thoughts on them would be good too!

Beauty boutique
Butterfly Beauty
The Nail and Beauty Lounge
Pamper and Polish
Inner Sparkle

Hiya!
I quite like the Butterfly Beauty, but I'd have to say it would be depending on which niche you are marketing to?

The one advice I was given when choosing a name was to have it starting from the beginning of the alphabet, so that if/when you want to advertise in directories, you would be towards the beginning as opposed to the end of the list.

xxx

And don't do what I did, as I was rushed into choosing a name by yellow pages as I had to get my free line listing in fast before they went to print, and Liz's Nailz sounds like a sub standard salon, but it's everywhere now, but the name doesn't seem to put people off, but I hate it.... on the other hand I never get asked what my name is, but they sometimes think my surname is Nailz !! :rolleyes:

And prove the point that I sound like a s s I got sent a Vietnamese calender for Christmas :rolleyes:

And I got sent Screwfix catalogues '! Butterfly beauty would be my vote :lol:

And don't do what I did, as I was rushed into choosing a name

Yes I agree!!! Dont ever rush you name... I started out wanting "Top to Toe" or something like that then realised I really didn't like that... so I changed to "A Mermaid's Secret" which I love coz people find it unique and are intrigued at how I came up with it.... - A great convo starter for new clients!

but I hate it
Awww!!
You know after a a while of trading, you could re-brand yourself? You could change the colour scheme, Name, logo and anything else you want to change, and if you advertise it, you could also do like a re-launch party and get all your clients in to have taster treatments- a good way to let them know that you are still there, but just changed name.

I know eventually, when Ive built up my clientelle, there are a couple of little things that i want to change... but not for a long time yet.

Mermaids secret is lovely, yes I could change, but I guess it's been around too long, and it's not making my business suffer. It is just a name, it's the service you give that counts. I'm on all kinds of sites that I don't even know exist. If I was going to move to another area, then I would change it .

I would name it something that would reflect visual beauty, as people want to See results.

Hiya thanks for replies and really good advice :) i am trying to come to some decision but trying not to rush it! its annoying though as i just want to get going but cannot decide on a name!! Inner beauty is probably my favourite atm though, i searched butterfly beauty on google and loooads of businesses came up! :( its hard to think of something completely unique. X

I like Inner Beauty!

My tag line is "Bringing out your Inner Beauty"

xxx

Ohh I meant to say Inner Sparkle haha! I do like Inner beauty too :) I love the feel to your business by the way; mermaids secret is so unique and interesting! How did you come up with something like that? X

How about

Pamper and sparkle or
Butterfly sparkle

????

ohh yes those are really pretty! thank you! hm hard decisions for me lol think its going to take a while!! X

Dont go with ' the nail and beauty lounge' as there is a shop called that up the road from me!

ohh okay i wont then! thanks! X

ohh okay i wont then! thanks! X

Sorry, just read my comment back and it sounded a bit rude! Just didnt want you getting into any dispute of any kind over it! :)

I really like inner sparkle!

It took me AGES to come up with my name. Everytime I thought of one, I'd google it to make sure it wasn't taken by someone up the road and that I could get a domain name that was suitable.

Mostly, all the ones I thought of I hated a week later!! The one I went with in the end I still like, which is good because it's now plastered all over business cards, workwear and leaflets! :lol:

Hi you can do a check on the companies house website. Enter the name you have chosen and it will give you a list.

Failure Page

By doing this you will know what other businesses carry a similar or the same name

hth x

Sorry, just read my comment back and it sounded a bit rude! Just didnt want you getting into any dispute of any kind over it! :)

Ohh no wasn't rude at all! Appreciate you telling me about it! I'm really worried about upsetting people by having the same name as them! Lol X

Latest posts

Back