Natural Nail French Manicure

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anna F

Reaction score
Hi everyone

Dumb questions coming up..

I'm doing a french manicure on a client on Saturday. So, I've been on this site and searched all the threads on how to create perfect smile lines using enamel...

Most of the suggestions have been, after applying the base coat, to put the white on first, dip an old 'acrylic' brush in to some scrubfresh to tidy the smile lines..

When you say acrylic - do you mean an old sable brush that was used to do acrylic, or that the brush should be acrylic? (Told you it'd be a dumb question!):confused:

Also, when applying the pink enamel - won't it give the white a bit of a pink tinge to it?? Also (dumb question no. 2 coming up here), do you apply one, or two coats of the pink, before applying the topcoat.:o

Anyway.. Any help on this would be greatfully received..

Anna

As l&p has to be applied with a sable hair brush, I would assume they're referring to a sable brush - not sure if Nail Fresh would trash anything other than sable???? (although the brush in the bottle is plastic I think :rolleyes:)

I just used any old brush dipped in nail polish remover, or a polish corrector pen, or cotton wool wrapped round an orange stick dipped in polish remover - whatever works well for you.

I don't tend to need any of the above now, a really picky client and lots of practise have sorted that!!!

Good Luck

Hi Anna! I usually put the 2 coats of pink/natural on first then do the whites over the top, but that's cos I like a really bright white finish. Some clients don't like such a bright white so you can put it under the pink without it looking too pinky underneath, if you know what I mean. I'd ask the client first what she'd prefer. I'd also recommend loads of practise before you go, as it's a lot more difficult than it looks! One sweep across of the white is often the best way to get a good coverage, cos if you keep going over it the varnish just goes lumpy or patchy! Good luck! xxx

Hi Anna,

I usually ScrubFresh the nails to give a nice clean base for one coat of basecoat, I then swip the free edge with the white and then one coat of pink, followed by one coat of top coat. I then tidy up the edges with a brush as you've been told.

If you are using a good quality pink designed for French polish it doesn't usually show up over the white.

This is how I work - others prefer to work differently i.e pink first followed by white tips. It's all really a matter of personal choice.

I'd suggest having a little practise on some tips or yourself before your client is due.

Good luck - I'm sure you'll do just fine. :D

Kx

I havent been using a basecoat on myself when doing french polish.... wouldnt it get wiped off with the scrubfresh when you tidy the smile line? Ive been doing white then one coat of pink over the top, is this wrong? x

I usually put the white on after the pink, or have been known to do white, then pink, then white again, as I don't like my french polishes much and I find that the white just isn't white enough any other way. I initially worried that this was 'wrong' as most people seem to do it the other way, but horses for courses I suppose as I just don't like the finish the other way round.
Have been reading some old threads about what are favourite french colours, but most answers are for Creative polishes.
Was just about to order some Essie so does anyone have any favourite colours there?
Also, a lot of feedback I have got is that the pink isn't pink enough. The proper french colours that I have (Attitude Peaches and Cream, and Strawberry Cream) are very pale, too white for my liking, so I have occasionally used another pink 'Seashell' which is sheer but a bit too 'fake' pink. I have been looking at the American manicure polishes which are transluscent (like jelly, if you see what I mean), to get the colour without the opaque coverage.
:confused: My head is just spinning with all this because I haven't yet found french colours I like and don't want to spend a tonne trying to find ones I do!

Lol - speak with Lily shes got some Fabulous Orly American Polishes in stock...

Anna F said:
Hi everyone

Dumb questions coming up..

I'm doing a french manicure on a client on Saturday. So, I've been on this site and searched all the threads on how to create perfect smile lines using enamel...

Most of the suggestions have been, after applying the base coat, to put the white on first, dip an old 'acrylic' brush in to some scrubfresh to tidy the smile lines..

When you say acrylic - do you mean an old sable brush that was used to do acrylic, or that the brush should be acrylic? (Told you it'd be a dumb question!):confused:

Anna
Anna - do question is ever dumb, and to answer your question I use Star Nails Minor Sable brush to use to dip into my Nail Fresh to tidy up on squiggly lines that occur - especially with on those clients with very little free edge ...hope this helps you...

I apply my base, followed by my pink.
When I come to do my white, I load my brush and start at one side, keeping the brush in contact with the nail but, with a light touch. I then glide the white out toward the middle of the nail and twist the nail slightly to meet it as I go to the other side, if that makes any sense. Otherwise, I find my smile is too straight, though I realise there are peeps who like this look.

Thanks for all your helpful suggestions!
I'll go away tonight and practice like mad ;)

Anna

Hi Bimbogeri,

I use Essie. Thier French polish colours are beautiful. I use Marshmallow and Allure. Marshmallow is a very soft white and Allure is more peach than pink - so some would probably say it's more of an American polish than French, anyway it gives a very nice clean fresh look that works for my clients.

Blanc by Essie is very white and Ballet Slippers is much more of a pink, but I tend to stick with the softer whites. Don't know why, I just get on with them better and haven't had any complaints so far! :D

I've also just discovered 'Beau' a lovely pink in the Creative range that I may have a play with soon.

I hope that helps.

Regards,

Karen

Latest posts

Back