Natural thumb nails with deep ridges

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glitter

Reaction score
hi Everyone, I did a practice maincure on my niece, she has very deep riedges on both her thumbs, it looks liks she has had some trauma to the nails but she said they have alwyas been like that, any suggestions to improve the look and condition. She not only has ridges but ther is a dip as well!!

Being a newbie I don't know what can be done.

bye for now.

glitter

i'd love to know the answer to this one ??? i notice people's nails while i'm talking to them :o ...OR...they show me... have seen this with one of the mothers at school...dis-coloured,very ridged & very dented...and have wondered myself ???

Hi Glitter

I assume the ridges go across, not from top to bottom?

I would lay money on her having an exposed lunula (half moon) too?

This is very common on some thumbs (and some fingers too) where the lunula is exposed and there is a lot of soft nail. The ridges are caused by damage to this soft nail (which is usually protected by the nail fold). There is not a lot that can be done to improve this. Don't buff the ridges out as this will drastically thin the nail. You could apply an overlay to smooth the whole nail out but take great care over the base of the nail as it is very delicate.

thankyou for replying i can only discribe the thumb nail as...

being hit full on at high speed by artic lorry while smoking ??? oops forgotten to take the fag out ??? the ridges going from the lunula to free edge...
i did read p128 about "ridged nail" thick and brittle or thin ??? it looks thick ???

when i read this thread discribing the same sort of trauma to the nail plate... even tho it's not common,and she's not asked me what i could do with it,i would like to be able to tell her or any client that something could ?? or couldn't be done ??

my only answer at the mo would be i'l have a JACK DANIELS while calling in PAUL DANIELS :o

sorry glitter have taken over your thread.. didn't mean to sorry again..

Cheers Mum, glad I read this post!
mum said:
Hi Glitter

This is very common on some thumbs (and some fingers too) where the lunula is exposed and there is a lot of soft nail. The ridges are caused by damage to this soft nail (which is usually protected by the nail fold). There is not a lot that can be done to improve this. Don't buff the ridges out as this will drastically thin the nail. You could apply an overlay to smooth the whole nail out but take great care over the base of the nail as it is very delicate.

Thanks for that any thing I can recommend for improving it ?
glitter

mum said:
Hi Glitter

Hi There ,

Looking at your post you say the ridge is on both her thumbs and goes from lunula to free edge and also have a 'dip'.

It sounds to me like classic symptons of a conditon called 'habit tic'. Ask your neice if she 'strokes' her thumbs ( maybe not knowingly ). I have two clients that have this condition . As mum says you can overlay these nails but be careful over ridge as it is thinner . Sometimes after wearing an overlay for sometime the condtion can improve as the nail is no longer directly 'stroked' or played with . Let us know what she says when you ask her if she strokes or plays with her thumbs as these are the ones usually affected

Kind Regards
Karen
Light Elegance Uk

Hi I will ask her I love this site everyone is happy to impart their knowledge.
thanks.
glitter
perfect10kb said:
Hi There ,

Looking at your post you say the ridge is on both her thumbs and goes from lunula to free edge and also have a 'dip'.

It sounds to me like classic symptons of a conditon called 'habit tic'. Ask your neice if she 'strokes' her thumbs ( maybe not knowingly ). I have two clients that have this condition . As mum says you can overlay these nails but be careful over ridge as it is thinner . Sometimes after wearing an overlay for sometime the condtion can improve as the nail is no longer directly 'stroked' or played with . Let us know what she says when you ask her if she strokes or plays with her thumbs as these are the ones usually affected

Kind Regards
Karen
Light Elegance Uk

Latest posts

Back