New Salon, old man needs help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ha, I spent at least two months working the figs out at £12,000 !

The easy bit is visiting show rooms or what ever, deciding what you would like and getting some quotes.

The girls chose REM, we visited the factory, got the spec we wanted and submitted it to three well known suppliers of equipment ( not sure if I am allowed to name names?) to my amazment when all the qoute came in there was £780 difference between the highest and lowest, that can't be right for exactly the same stuff?

So it was £7,000 for the furniture and £5,000 for the works......where things got out of hand a little was we went to Salon International and bought a Salon Master water boiler (add £900) and one or two other things that maybe we would not of even considered if we had not gone to the show. :eek:

Also originally I was going to just paint the existing ceiling and pop a few new tubes in, but decided to have a new ceiling and lighting system (add £2,000)

As it happens the water heater, ceiling and lights were money well spent. As a non hairdresser, I had no idea that to stock the colour cuboard would cost £1,500 - but "it is what it is" :)

"extra" money just goes on alsorts of things you need, everytime the builder sent me to Screwfix direct it was another £100, or £175 and so it goes on. Thing is once you have started, you have to finish the job. I am not wealthy but did have access to some funding, but even so, there were many evenings when it was best not to talk to me.

The only thing we have bought that I feel robbed by is the mirrors / work stations. They are very nice, but end of the day it is a mirror stuck to a bit of MDF that is laminated. Does that really cost £400 a go ? I did have a moan at REM because the top and bottom are not lamiated, and that little attention to detail, for what ? another 50p, would of kept me off their backs! Also the installation instructions were wrong dimensions....:rolleyes:

It has been a huge learning curve and no doubt if we did it again we would make mistakes, but when you are finished all the little irritations don't seem so important anymore.

You drive past, glance left and feel a reassuring "glow"

I do believe the variation in furniture prices. I have some REM and I didn't buy it direct as it is too expensive. Mirrors are costly and to be honest at £400 each it sounds like you got a good deal.

I've heard about the salonmaster boilers and they have a very good reputation. I wish I had got one, as I have no end of boiler issues since I opened!

£1,500 for colour stock is good! Wow, my xmas colour bill was around that this year. I spent about £30,000 opening my salon and it certainly didn't have the finish yours has, so you have done brilliantly. I just then worked my socks off for 3 years and then re-fitted it to what I would have originally liked.

You just have to get that till ching chinging now!

Well, end of the first full week, and despite some of the most awful weather you could possibly imagine we have to be content, covered the wages and expenses....just....:)

Tried to stay out the way and let the girls just get on with it as much as possible....

Have witnessed a "customer from hell" that reminded me of the John Cleese / Faulty Tower sketch ...."I am not happy!" to which Basil replies "your sort never are" .... I was oh so impressed with the way my girls handled the situation, really polite, above and beyond in my opinion.

If it were me, "the lady" would of been asked to leave, hair finished or not! Having made some discreet enquiries it would appear that she has done the rounds locally and probably saw the new salon and landed her broom stick in our doorway!

Flip side of the coin was the delight on my daughters face when a new client rebooked with her, makes a dad happy and proud does that, :)

Early days, very early days, but encouarging......big day tomorrow as the senior girl is off to a wedding,

Now that's what I call a high end salon look. Sleek beautiful, uncluttered and welcoming. You have a right to feel a glow, well done to everyone involved.
I'm so glad your daughter did those extra courses, not just for the content, but also for her confidence.
I know I would cross the whole country to follow 'my' hairdresser. I'm sure your daughters clients are going to feel the same way about her.
You've handled the whole thing so well, other staff, more exerience, her security etc.
Now, how would you feel about a 46 year old daughter:lol:
All kidding aside. One word sums it all up.
Perfect.:hug:

wow thw outfit looks briliant and I commend you for your commitment to your daughter and i hope it all goes really well

WOW:!:

Your daughter is a VERY lucky girl to have such a loving father who believes in her and has invested in her future.

Wishing you all the very best success :hug:

:green: just thought id say,the salon looks fab,well done,& all the best for the future,good luck

good luck:lol::lol:

You should have words with my dad! I will be showing him this thread tomorrow!
Good luck to you and your daughter :)
I'm sure it really builds her confidence knowing she has your full support!! (my dad lacks that and it really is quite a knock back!) so it's lovely to see a dad doing all this for his daughter! Complete faith! :)

Sent from my iPad using SalonGeek

Latest posts

Back