New Salon - which would you choose??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
not to be to blunt, but i really think you need to think twice before jumping in with both feet, in to a bussiness you have little experience about.....
im not trying to be harsh, just honest....:hug:

thanks lizzie, i know what you mean - dont worry not going to do anything rash, just saying once you get an idea in your head you want it to move on to the next level. I Would never jump straight in, although i am impatient, i am also very level headed and would have to double check everything out before i proceeded.

My frustration is with not being able to find agents/landlords to even look at these places.
I have tried the local papaers but all the vacant premises in there seem so run down that it would cost thousands just to make the place safe (rotten floorboards/windows/doors/falling plaster etc)
I Dont live in a large city so no commercial agents on local high street.
Just trying to find right location at right price.
Arrghh!! this is so frustraiting.

i wish i had a fairy godmother to wave her magic wand LOL

why dont you put letters through the doors of the properties you have seen that are empty, offering the landlord the chance to lease to a genuine tenant without the agents fees, im sure this would appeal to lots of people.....
have you called around all of the local agencies? if theres no boards they will still be on there books!
failing that the best thing you could probably do is chat to the neighbours of propertys, they have usually been friends with who ever has moved out, that person will have landlords details......
i wouldnt ever lease a run down property!!!!! at the end of the day you will just be restoring it for the owners benefit, if theres a particular premises you want that is run down, id strike a good deal with the costs and rent before even considering it xxxxx

hi
i set up my own beauty business about 7months ago, i am a working mum and only working part time. i rent the space upstairs in a hairdressers. this is good because i was not taking any1 else clients but easy to build my own clientelle as it is a large hairdressers with a well established clientelle so if the client is already coming in to have there hair done alot will be interested in beauty. be aware of the general set up cost of using good products for example guinot for facials £7000 thalgo facials and body treatments £5000 jessca nails £1000 jane iredale mineral make up £1000 crystal clear microdermabrasion £5000 plus couch trolley any decoration of the premises etc. this is just a guide to the type of money i spent, if you want good products and treatments it can get very expensive also when i opened i did a launch event with champagne and canapes and invited lots of the haidressing clients. vista print is great for all printing stuff and if you do all the designing for brochures and appointment cards you can keep it cheap also i did my own website and that attracts alot of new clients http://www.irresistiblebeauty.co.uk be prepared to negotiate with the product companys to get a better deal.

good luck kat

Hi
The upside of buying an existing salon is that you can work from day one. To take an empty shop and fit it out plus paying rent and rates on it generally costs more than to buy someone elses salon. To fit out an empty room for either hair or beauty costs more than most people realise. Even if the salons you are looking at are not great, could you not do an overnight cleanup and paint job and gradually replace furnishings and equipment to the standard that you want?
Whenever I buy a salon ,I work on the basis that I will earn nothing from it for 2 to 3 years.
I would advocate buying an existing salon to;
1. avoid adding to the competition in an area
2. give yourself a bit of clientele from day 1
3. avoid the start up costs of fitting out an empty shop.
I'm not advocating buying a huge salon with lots of staff as a first salon, but start out with something manageable that can grow with you.

Latest posts

Back