New shop lease agreement

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beckyderricut

Reaction score
I need some business advice anything would be much appreciated.

I am currently have a full time job-not beauty related. I also work from home and mobile as a beauty therapist and business has picked up the past few months, so much so I think I'm in a good position to rent a small shop and open a salon. I have found a property that's been empty for some time, it's not in the best of locations but I know the area well. The rent is very cheap compared to most commercial properties in the area, and the size is good.
However I've stumbled at the first hurdle, there are a group of these shops in the vicinity and they are owned by the local housing agency. In the lease agreement's you cannot have a similar business to any of the other tenants. There isn't another beauty salon but there is a hair salon, I have found out that they also have a beauty licence but after looking into this the only beauty treatment she actually offers is eyebrow waxing!!! I'm so annoyed, I thought I'd be able to get around it somehow but I am seriously struggling. Does anyone have any advice that will help me or am is there no way around it. Thank you in advance x

You are best of speaking to the council directly. The fact it's all owned by the housing agency would explain why the rent is cheap. It's probably an initiative to help small businesses start up etc.

You are best of speaking to the council directly. The fact it's all owned by the housing agency would explain why the rent is cheap. It's probably an initiative to help small businesses start up etc.

Thanks. Yes thats why I'm sure, it would be the perfect place to start up overheads not being huge.
Would it be the council and not the housing agency? I've spoken with the housing agency and they have basically said there's no way around it unless the hair salon drop the beauty licence.

I've had this problem when looking for premises....in my case I was wanting to open an up market salon, but there was a run down barber/ladies salon within the parade .....they would not budge!
On a positive note, they owners were at least protecting the interests of their tenants, although I felt my business would not affect the existing one, as we were going for different type of clientele.

Interesting that the hair salon has the licence...in my area, hair salons DO NOT need a licence for eyebrows...nails and other beauty services - but not brows.
Perhaps she's thinking of branching out.... or she's got the licence just in case someone wants to move in and provide similar services. :p

I've had this problem when looking for premises....in my case I was wanting to open an up market salon, but there was a run down barber/ladies salon within the parade .....they would not budge!
On a positive note, they owners were at least protecting the interests of their tenants, although I felt my business would not affect the existing one, as we were going for different type of clientele.

Interesting that the hair salon has the licence...in my area, hair salons DO NOT need a licence for eyebrows...nails and other beauty services - but not brows.
Perhaps she's thinking of branching out.... or she's got the licence just in case someone wants to move in and provide similar services. :p

I feel the same my business would really not affect her business I really don't think she has many eyebrow clients as it's a fairly busy hair salon. If anything it may bring her more business.
I don't know whether to just bite the bullet and speak to her and explain the situation...who knows she may be really nice about it and drop the licence I'm really clutching at straws.

I also have another query If anyone can help. I have found a couple of empty shops that haven't get any to let/sale signs iv being trying to find out who owns them iv tried the direct.gov website and searched the buildings but it's not locating them. Any ideas of how to find out? Thanks x

Slight update. Iv been in contact with the owner of the hairdressers and they basically said they hold the beauty licence and it seems they are not willing to let it go because they may offer beauty treatments in the future so does not want anyone to compete with anyone. I can't see that they will be able to really these shops aren't the biggest. I know it's in the lease agreement's but just seems unfair, surley it would benefit the community to get these shops open. Iv even suggested not offering brow waxing.
I'm just venting I just really hoped there was a way around it. Wish I knew someone who knew more about these things to give me more advice.

Slight update. Iv been in contact with the owner of the hairdressers and they basically said they hold the beauty licence and it seems they are not willing to let it go because they may offer beauty treatments in the future so does not want anyone to compete with anyone. I can't see that they will be able to really these shops aren't the biggest. I know it's in the lease agreement's but just seems unfair, surley it would benefit the community to get these shops open. Iv even suggested not offering brow waxing.
I'm just venting I just really hoped there was a way around it. Wish I knew someone who knew more about these things to give me more advice.
Unfortunately, I think it's a case of moving on. If they won't relinquish it, then it's a dead end. Don't dwell on it and everything happens for a reason so something better is right round the corner :)

Just keep an eye on their business. They might go bust and shut up shop. Who knows.

Unfortunately, I think it's a case of moving on. If they won't relinquish it, then it's a dead end. Don't dwell on it and everything happens for a reason so something better is right round the corner :)

Just keep an eye on their business. They might go bust and shut up shop. Who knows.
I know your completely right I was just venting my frustration
I'm looking and looking and looking....there are a few shops that seem OK I just need to find who owns them.
Iv been looking for month's, can't quite believe I still haven't found anything. I thought I'd be ready to open by Jan/Feb.

I know your completely right I was just venting my frustration
I'm looking and looking and looking....there are a few shops that seem OK I just need to find who owns them.
Iv been looking for month's, can't quite believe I still haven't found anything. I thought I'd be ready to open by Jan/Feb.

You can always check the land registry to find out who owns the properties, I believe it costs less than £10 to check and can be done online.

Latest posts

Back