New staff + their existing mobile clientele?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree :) many of my mobile clients either have young children, cant drive or are elderly, and some just prefer their own environment.
I enjoy being between mobile and a salon :) as long as we happy with what we do, our employers etc and most importantly, our clients are...thats what matters.

Kayleigh x

I agree, as long as we have built up and gained enough clients in the salon first then I don't see the problem,
i personally don't think I'd want to own my own salon so why should I not take the chance to earn a little extra if it's offered

Nobody is saying we expect to "own" our employees, however we do expect to pay them, and part of accepting a wage means not building a competing business to your employer.

If you wish to be able to do exactly as you please then be lucky enough to find a salon owner who is naive enough to not care.

This argument is a total split between all the salon owners and staff/mobiles!! Funny that.

Funnily enough I never did mobile when I worked in a salon, I always enjoyed my day off as a day off ( I did some family members) but I still don't think an employer could tell me that I'm not allowed to do hair on my day off....I can understand if it's written into the contract that you cannot carry out mobile services to existing clients if the salon and/or within a 3 mile radius of the salon, the same as a lot of contracts say you cannot work for another salon within 1 mile if you leave, I think then they are a direct competition to your business, but I really think a total ban is too much...jmo I guess :)

Whenever I've worked in Salons (apart from the really big Chain) it's always been frowned upon to do mobile too..I think it's an awkward situation. There are pro's and con's to being mobile or employed and I always accepted that I could only do friends and family if I worked in a salon. It's so hard to draw the line and refuse a salon client if approached to do mobile without causing offence.
If we are working for someone who pays our wages,the overheads for the salon, advertising and taking all the financial risks I think we should respect that fact...either that or go mobile/chair rent and take the risks ourselves.
That's not to say we can't top up our wages a bit through friends and family though! As a previous poster said, I found after a 40+ hour week in the salon the LAST thing I wanted to do was hair on my day off! Haha!
:-D

Hi...i dont do hair anymore but i was an apprentice in a salon a year ago and this post highlights the reason 4 myself n several other apprentices leaving,i was workin in a very high class salon and really couldnt wait to get qualified n put everything into that salon as i had alot of respect 4 the salon owner as the training she gave was 2nd to none but as soon as she got wind that my dad had helped my sister open a clothes shop she was so sure i was guna do the same n open a hairdressers!she started callin me ib her office basically threatin me that no-one will take her clients ect ect n in the end the hassle wasnt worth it,some salon owners need to realise that if a client wants a mobile hairdresser whether a member of your staff do it or not there not guna come into a salon because they want mobile 4 a reason n if owners want to tie there staff into the shop pay better wages speak to staff better n giv them something to be loyal 4!(i will add thats only from the experience i had 1st hand in the salon i worked in not sayin all owners treat their staff that way) i can see points of everyones arguments!xx

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

I have clients who physically can't get to the salon... Not even client is.able to get to a salon

Gr this has Really upset me this post!!! Owners.thinking they own staff!!!!!!!

Craig Keane
Welcome to HCulture

Then work mobile! How do you think mobile stylist feel when they see salon workers being greedy and taking on mobile too. Mobile is all they have got.

Of course your big chain doesn't care. I live in a small seaside town with 84 other salons, I do not expect to be competing with my own staff too. They get good pay, commission, reduced and free services, products at cost, paid holiday, paid courses, bonuses and job security. More than the poor mobile who is competing for for with the salon worker on their patch.

'Us' salon owners being accused of greediness?! I have seen more 'employed' people on this thread display greediness than us.

I think the majority has totally missed the point of what the salon owners have said on this thread but then that is probably why we own the salons, as you have to understand how business works to do so.

Funnily, my staff do not have a problem with my contracts. One of them remarked on how it is a good excuse to not have to do hair after work.

This argument is a total split between all the salon owners and staff/mobiles!! Funny that.

The problem with some employees is not only do they want their cake and eat it, they want the recipe too! :)

wow, heated thread!! Just to buck the trend Persianista I'm a mobile and I agree with you!! Many customers out there are just out for themselves and would rather pay less for their services, if you work in a salon I am sure you regularly get asked if you ( as a stylist) could do it cheaper at home.
I'm going to be hated for this but I think its possibly an age thing?? Us 'elderly' hairdressers understand the enormous cost of living and premises costs/insurance etc. etc. mortgages/children/parents to care for? the endless, endless list of things to pay for and the stress/emotional strain of managing staff. to then have some twerp who takes your stock to do one of your clients 'at home' must drive you mad and Salon owners I can see why you would have contracts against this conflict of interest.

Mobiles - if you are lucky enough to have a salon owner who doesn't mind you having mobile clients as well - thats great.
Salon stylists - respect the fact that you have a job when many people don't and if you're not paid enough and you're that good - find another salon who respect you.

Also - as well as declaring all this extra income do you stylists who do some clients at home have insurance etc. its very important that you do in this litigious world!!

There endeth the lesson from old person who will be 40 in 3 days!!! my new motto after being a shy shrinking violet all these years is that 'everyone is entitled to my opinion'!!!:biggrin:

wow, heated thread!! Just to buck the trend Persianista I'm a mobile and I agree with you!! Many customers out there are just out for themselves and would rather pay less for their services, if you work in a salon I am sure you regularly get asked if you ( as a stylist) could do it cheaper at home.
I'm going to be hated for this but I think its possibly an age thing?? Us 'elderly' hairdressers understand the enormous cost of living and premises costs/insurance etc. etc. mortgages/children/parents to care for? the endless, endless list of things to pay for and the stress/emotional strain of managing staff. to then have some twerp who takes your stock to do one of your clients 'at home' must drive you mad and Salon owners I can see why you would have contracts against this conflict of interest.

Mobiles - if you are lucky enough to have a salon owner who doesn't mind you having mobile clients as well - thats great.
Salon stylists - respect the fact that you have a job when many people don't and if you're not paid enough and you're that good - find another salon who respect you.

Also - as well as declaring all this extra income do you stylists who do some clients at home have insurance etc. its very important that you do in this litigious world!!

There endeth the lesson from old person who will be 40 in 3 days!!! my new motto after being a shy shrinking violet all these years is that 'everyone is entitled to my opinion'!!!:biggrin:

Thanks for actually reading the posts :)

I would imagine a professional mobile stylist finds all these moonlighters frustrating too. It devalues both types of businesses. I think it is hard enough to get hairdressing valued as being a profession, without it being cheapened to this.

I wanted to work in a salon for the experience and some people need the money from both. Im not even going to respond to that fully as it's nobody business why some people need 2 jobs.

And as for saying you can't wait until we have a salon we will sink...
How lovely of you! Lol I would have full trust in the people I employ if I thought they were nicking clients then I'd cross that bridge when I came to it.
Also if your employees liked and respected you they wouldn't do that.,,

Sent from my iPad using SalonGeek

Also if your employees liked and respected you they wouldn't do that.,,

They do, and that's why they don't moonlight. :)

Some people look at salon owners as if they have loads of dosh and won't miss a few clients and a few boxes of meche or tint.

I agree with Donna that it must be gutting for mobiles who are actually trying to earn their living from it to then have house calls nicked off them by stylists who happily accept a regular wage, commission and paid holiday.

I think in any industry, working in direct competition with your employer is classed as a gross misconduct.

A good compromise would be for those stylists to rent chairs, that way they have the best of both worlds. Access to a salon and the freedom to do mobile as well. Oh hang on, that would mean giving up guaranteed pay / holiday pay/ maternity benefits and sick pay!!

Good luck in your future careers, I feel a few on here have some rude awakenings coming.

They do, and that's why they don't moonlight. :)

Then I don't see what your "argument" is.
Your employees don't and you don't want them to.
Other salons are happy for us to also stay mobile.

Some people look at salon owners as if they have loads of dosh and won't miss a few clients and a few boxes of meche or tint.

I agree with Donna that it must be gutting for mobiles who are actually trying to earn their living from it to then have house calls nicked off them by stylists who happily accept a regular wage, commission and paid holiday.

I think in any industry, working in direct competition with your employer is classed as a gross misconduct.

A good compromise would be for those stylists to rent chairs, that way they have the best of both worlds. Access to a salon and the freedom to do mobile as well. Oh hang on, that would mean giving up guaranteed pay / holiday pay/ maternity benefits and sick pay!!

Good luck in your future careers, I feel a few on here have some rude awakenings coming.

If there are products going missing this is theft!!! You can't blame mobile people for this! People may take stuff todo friends hair ... Theft ..... Sort it ... Trusting staff don't steal

Craig Keane
www.hculture.co.uk

If you got a job in a local super market would you have to tell your friends to shop there?? You move to a new shop would you take the old customers to the new shop??

Craig Keane
www.hculture.co.uk

Thanks for actually reading the posts :)

I would imagine a professional mobile stylist finds all these moonlighters frustrating too. It devalues both types of businesses. I think it is hard enough to get hairdressing valued as being a profession, without it being cheapened to this.

lol...are you serious? how can you say that somebody that does mobile part time is cheapening the profession?? but being a full time mobile stylist is ok? There are unprofessional people working in salons as well as mobile and i think that saying someone is unprofessional for having two jobs is i stupid thing to say. There are a lot of professional people that may have left full time salon work because of family commitments ect....and mobile work fits in around this better, but still have a part time job in a salon either so they have a fixed wage coming in or because they miss the atmosphere of working in a salon, i have even known somebody that left to go mobile and returned to the salon a couple of days a week so that she could do the clients that kept asking for her, she never took them as private clients as her mobile and salon work was seperate. i don't think this is unprofessional as long as they are always professional in their work and conduct. I was asked by clients all the time if i did hair privately while working in salon and i always told them no because i was far too busy at work...There will always be the people that will steal stock, clients and cash....but those people are in every profession and will do this whether they do mobile work part time or not, those are the people you need to weed out.....

Agreed, where I have worked it has always been frowned upon to do a large clientele at home.

The way I look at it is....if you do your clients at home, you are taking away from clients in the salon. If you have no clients in the salon, then how are you supposed to get paid? Staff should be working as part of the salons team, if they'd rather do a few homers than build their salon clientele then ultimately they could lose out if they are not making money in the salon there is no money to be paid with= no job?

I've always felt like this, was "trained up" with this attitude. x

No clients hair...What does this tell you about the salon?? Maybe they need to sort.out an action plan for new business

Craig Keane
www.hculture.co.uk

If you got a job in a local super market would you have to tell your friends to shop there?? You move to a new shop would you take the old customers to the new shop??

Craig Keane
Welcome to HCulture

That comparison doesn't reflect the discussion. Your not doing ther shopping!
In salons I've worked in the stylists were never allowed to do mobile along with the salon job.
It is moonlighting, and it's not only hairdressing that moonlighting is against company policy, many big companies don't allow it! X

maybe you all need to step back a minute and look at everyones point of view, I think its not unreasonable of salon owners to be miffed if you do hair mobile aswel,you can't expect to be paid a full wage if you only half filling your books, however if you'v got a very strong clientele in the salon then maybe they would compromise,

but I know people who are workin 2 or 3 part time jobs just to live at the minute so why shouldn't one of them jobs also be mobile ( agreed insurance is a major major thing) you will find that most people who do mobile outside of work probably just do friends of family an friends of friends

my company don't even like you getting a bar job or something that could be a conflict of interests and I am a chair renter!

I thought a lot of people were chair renters nowadays, which I thought we were applying this To aswel so I apologise!!

lol...are you serious? how can you say that somebody that does mobile part time is cheapening the profession?? but being a full time mobile stylist is ok? There are unprofessional people working in salons as well as mobile and i think that saying someone is unprofessional for having two jobs is i stupid thing to say. There are a lot of professional people that may have left full time salon work because of family commitments ect....and mobile work fits in around this better, but still have a part time job in a salon either so they have a fixed wage coming in or because they miss the atmosphere of working in a salon, i have even known somebody that left to go mobile and returned to the salon a couple of days a week so that she could do the clients that kept asking for her, she never took them as private clients as her mobile and salon work was seperate. i don't think this is unprofessional as long as they are always professional in their work and conduct. I was asked by clients all the time if i did hair privately while working in salon and i always told them no because i was far too busy at work...There will always be the people that will steal stock, clients and cash....but those people are in every profession and will do this whether they do mobile work part time or not, those are the people you need to weed out.....

A person who is full time mobile would normally come with business registration and public liability insurance.
Many stylists, not all, moonlight with no insurance, no business registration plus there is the tax issue.
If you are working mobile, as well as in the salon, then ever penny you earn in the salon is subject to being taxed, with no threshold being allowed. If you don't declare both jobs, to the tax office, then you are breaking the law.
Now, in my career, I have probably worked with over 500 stylists and have known them to moonlight. Not one of these people have done anything but put the money they earn mobile in their pocket. They have not paid the higher tax rate. Now, I am not putting everyone in this bracket, but I have 23 years of knowing hairdressers. I have worked not just behind a chair but in a variety of jobs in the hairdressing industry.
So, as a study, does everyone who has commented on this thread who advocates doing mobile as well as being employed, pay the higher rate of tax on their second job? This 'greedy' salon owner, who has to pay tax if she decides to break wind in her salon, would love to know. :)

Latest posts

Back