New staff + their existing mobile clientele?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow i have a blister on my thumb from scrolling down this thread on my phone, its epic! Interesting read though, sorry my input is not very constructive :green: xXx

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

Mine are worded along the lines of;
It is expressly forbidden to pursue any other work outside the salon which is in direct competition with the salon.

Oooh i've missed out on lots!
This quote, i do understand..and reading other salon owners opinions on the matter i also definitely see your point of veiw.
But as your contract says, 'in direct competition'...would you class mobile work past a 3mike radius as direct competition and not charging less?

I pay for a few extra training courses of my own..then offer my boss to do whatever treatment free of charge on her to see if she would want to introduce it to the salon...this would not affect me as this is the salons area..i do my mobile work out of area. I know its not quite the same on the hair side of things..but do you see my point in the slightest bit?
I'm the same as Lou..i use different products mobile, meaning some treatments may be slightly cheaper, but some more expensive :)

I will own my own salon one day, and i myself believe it will be successful, i will employ staff that i trust and i respect and who respects me, if i was to doubt their loyalty, i wouldnt want staff like that representing my business.

This thread is a matter of opinions, which is what the original poster wanted..i love seeing everyones passion and point of veiws though!

Kayleigh xx

I 100% agree with you kayleigh (and wish you luck) :)

People keep trying to stress how much HARD work they have done (training,leaflets) for their salon..
I completely understand that!
But so have I working mobile!
Nobody here will ever agree as it isn't a meet halfway situation but surely everybody can see where the other side is coming from! x

Salon owners don't want clients stolen.
Mobile therapists don't want clients stolen.
That's the way it will always be and should be respected from both sides! x

Sent from my iPad using SalonGeek

Yeah i agree :)
As long as everyone who is running a salon, a mobile business or who does both, is happy and succesful withing their work thats all what matters.
All the best with your business too hun xx

I do mobile outside of work and would not be happy if i was asked not too! My last boss didnt like it but i did it anyway simply because she didnt pay enough!! Plus the way things are extra money is something you dont turn away!! But i do not poach clients, i say if i leave and they came looking for me then yes i would take them!

Oh sorry, could those that provide contracts with the clauses forbidding "paid" outside work (conflict of interests) please pm me perhaps with a copy / template of said contract so I know I am working within the law?

Thanks again.

I would strongly recommend joining the NHF. You get 24/7 legal advice, training courses and competitions and all you staff contracts for free.

Nobody joined in on my 'who is paying the higher tax for a second job' issue.:sad: Or even addressed the issue.

What do you mean who is paying higher tax?
Everyone pays tax, are you asking how much we all pay individually?

What Donna means is that every employed person who does mobile should then also register with HMRC that they have other income and fill in a tax return for it and pay 33% of that income in taxes.

Oh right when she said nobody joined in/replied I thought she was asking a question.
Thank you :)

What Donna means is that every employed person who does mobile should then also register with HMRC that they have other income and fill in a tax return for it and pay 33% of that income in taxes.

From what I understood I though you are taxed on your overall earnings not the number of jobs you have so you could stay in a lower earning tax bracket with two jobs if earning less than £35,000

From what I understood I though you are taxed on your overall earnings not the number of jobs you have so you could stay in a lower earning tax bracket with two jobs if earning less than £35,000

You normally get your normal threshold allowances on the first job but on your second job/wage, you get no threshold.
You have to declare both jobs to the HMRC, not just what you earn, as the tax has to be worked out differently. :)

Nobody joined in on my 'who is paying the higher tax for a second job' issue.:sad: Or even addressed the issue.

Exactly what i thought Donna,
I think they may think twice about doing mobile"on the side" if they did it legally, it probably wouldnt even be worth it!

tut, tut! hope the tax-man doesnt catch them!!

in fact, no i hope he does! : )

I know for a fact tax authorities use the local classified papers and online ads to find unregistered mobiles.

Having been through a full forensic tax investigation myself, I have a lot of respect for HMRC, these people are VERY switched on.

Some investigations are random, but most are tipoffs from disgruntled clients, envious aquaintances or cheesed off employers.

The fine for not declaring income additional to your job is 100% of the tax owed.

You normally get your normal threshold allowances on the first job but on your second job/wage, you get no threshold.
You have to declare both jobs to the HMRC, not just what you earn, as the tax has to be worked out differently. :)

I know you have to declare it all, that goes without saying, but there is no penalty of a higher tax band for two jobs if the earnings are under the tax bracket :)
How Will My Second Job Be Taxed? - The Tax Guide (UK)

See the example on this page:
http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/working/intro/employed-selfemployed.htm

You get taxed on your total earnings added together. Honest governor ;)

Last edited:
I probably confused it by saying higher tax. :|. I should have said thresholds. My mum has always worked two jobs. She pays the standard amount of tax on her first job and on the second no thresholds are applied and she is taxed on 100% of her earnings. You would have to be earning very little in your first job, which is unlikely since the introduction of the min wage, to not have the 100% applied to the second job.

I don't think you have to pay tax until you've earnt a certain amount and enough to cover business expenses (obviously with reciepts) :)

I probably confused it by saying higher tax. :|. I should have said thresholds. My mum has always worked two jobs. She pays the standard amount of tax on her first job and on the second no thresholds are applied and she is taxed on 100% of her earnings. You would have to be earning very little in your first job, which is unlikely since the introduction of the min wage, to not have the 100% applied to the second job.

I see what you mean now, you mean that you wouldn't get the tax free allowance twice, which you wouldn't, but Persianista (unless I misunderstood) went on to say that you would automatically be paying the higher earnings tax bracket up on your second job, but 40% is the high earnings tax for those that have earnt over £35,000.

You would definitely need to pay the basic rate of 20% on anything over £6,475 as you are unlikely to be under the £6,475 tax fee with 2 jobs, but very few would supplement their income to £35,000. http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/rates/it.htm

Lou x you may not have to pay tax if you earn under £6,475 but you still have to file a tax return so there's no way around it without being dodgy. I'm sure loads of people don't declare and that is very wrong.

Even if you make no profit or loose money you still have to register and file a tax return or you will get caught.

Last edited:
this must differ for self employed and the people employed then??

I'm self employed in a salon so say if I did mobile it would all come under the one job, same with insurance? I don't do mobile so Sorry for butting in but just interested!

:)

this must differ for self employed and the people employed then??

I'm self employed in a salon so say if I did mobile it would all come under the one job, same with insurance? I don't do mobile so Sorry for butting in but just interested!

:)

It would be separate- you would have to register your mobile business with HMRC and get your own insurance and file a tax return with information on your employed work and your self employed work.

Latest posts

Back