New Tech Etiquette

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tammy BTN

Reaction score
Hiya,
I've finished training and done one set so far on Saturday and doing another on a friend tonight....
I live in leicester with my fiance and his parents while we save for a house.
I have been getting my nails done at a salon in Coventry for about a year and was introduced to them by my mother in law who has been going there for about 3 years. (She also lives in Leicester)
She has seen what i have done so far and i repaired a break for her the other day.... Now she has said she would like me to do her nails....
She understand i will have nothing on her current (and very experienced) tech, but says it's saving her a 45min drive and will be good experience for me as she knows what to expect.
But, as i still get my nails done in the same salon at the same time and i sit behind her tech i'll feel awful to have taken away a client..
I have been practicing on my own nails to see if i could avoid going at all but then i just lose them 2 clients!!!!!

WHAT TO DO?????????
HELP!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Tammy,

I wouldn't worry about what your mother-in-laws nail tech would have to say, if she is a true professional she will understand how clients come and go. She must understand how far away she travels to get to Coventry.

As for you not being as experienced as her previous lady, I am sure your mother-in-law understands that you are still learning and I am sure she will enjoy the progress you are making with every re-balance.:)

hi ya

there must be a VERY good salon in COVENTRY...i too live in Leicester and had a new client ring me the other day (from Leicester )to see if i could fit her in but she was too far away from me she was currently travelling 3/4 an hour to Coventry to get her nails done every other week !!!

Good job i say to whoever it is !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ambx

It's all down to a client's personal choice, she had a choice and would like to give you a chance, what a lovely out-law, cough, in-law she is. We can't assume that clients are for life not just for Christmas lol!

Darling take the client! You need to practice and build your client base up and she is family! All's fair in Love and Business!
How would you feel if she NEVER wanted you to do her nails and kept driving miles to get them done when You could b doing them? She'll probably be your best client as she clearly loves her nails.

Hi Tammy, you won't be taking a client, clients are free to choose where they go.
I think it's great what you're mother in law has suggested, it'll be beneficial to both of you.
Don't forget to charge her though, start as you mean to go on :p

Sassy Hassy said:
It's all down to a client's personal choice, she had a choice and would like to give you a chance

I agree. Your mum-in-law can choose whoever she wishes to do her nails can't she, and why shouldn't it be you :!:

Hiya,

I did them! (still keep forgetting to take these photos!!! )
I did them on saturday. 2 hours for a maintenance and she is really pleased!
Checked them this morning and no lifting or anything. oh and i didn't need to ask... paid me £15.
I'm really releived and filled with confidence! If i can please her i can please anyone!!!!! (fingers crossed) xxx:D

Hi

Just wanted to say well done. Mother in laws can be a right pain but they do have their uses. Make sure she keeps a couple of your business cards in her bag so she can pass them around for you. Not only is word of mouth the best advertising its FREE!

If you're feeling bad about the original tech why don't you tell her that you and your mother-in-law will be sure to recommend her to anyone you meet that lives in her area and can't travel and thank her for everything she has done for you both......I'm sure she will be delighted to hear it and wish you the very best of luck as I do.

Fiona W.

Ladies, you were right!
I went back to the salon to have my nails done on Wednesday to find......

Mum in laws Tech no longer works that day, (started college for childcare although we didnt know) and my tech, who was going to do them goes on holiday saturday and was relieved of the cancellation as now she can go late-night shopping!

Everyone's a winner!

Thanks for giving me some guts! Got myself another client now! :biggrin:

Latest posts

Back