New to nails!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lozzaboo2004

Reaction score
Ladies. I competed an acrylic nail course with NSI recently. Been practising as much as possible. Feeling like I've bitten off more than I can chew. I never thought acrylics would be so hard! Struggling with cuticle application, shaping the nails and messy application at sides. Feel like giving up! Xx

Don't give up, it takes a lot of practice to get the hang of acrylics but you will get there. Take a look at young nails video tutorials they're really good and have some great ones for cuticle application :)

Don't give up!! I find saving photos/practise nails that I'm happy with as a good reference of where I'm going wrong instead of just focusing on the ones that went badly (and keeps my mood up :))

Which is the best acrylic to use? I used to use gellux acrylic and I don't find it strong enough and lifts easily.

Thank you ladies!!! I think you just look at everyone else's work and think I'll never manage to do it but I'll keep practising xx

we all start somewhere , I wouldn't stress too much :)

Definitely take photos , pick your best finger, take a photo from above, the side and down the barrel .

Your eye will improve quicker than your skill so it's normal to feel like you are getting worse at doing nails when really your just getting better at spotting the faults , this is why keeping photos is the best bet to keep your confidence up as you can see improvement , also if you have the 3 photos mentioned above its very easy to ask for critique and get good advice about how to solve certain problems . I can't tell much from just a photo taken above ;)

Ladies. I competed an acrylic nail course with NSI recently. Been practising as much as possible. Feeling like I've bitten off more than I can chew. I never thought acrylics would be so hard! Struggling with cuticle application, shaping the nails and messy application at sides. Feel like giving up! Xx

Practise, practise, practise. I'm pretty certain most of us have felt how you do right about now. I was so close to just giving up on numerous of occasions while I was learning. But I didn't, and I'm so thankful that's the case. As frustating as it is, just go slow and steady, you will most definitely start getting the hang of it. If you mess up? It's ok, don't panic, just start again!
What learnt me best was the three ball method. Start from the tip making sure your bead isn't too wet, place it down onto the nail, then sweep the brush doing one side, the opposite side then the centre. And once you crack it, you will be making perfect nails! At the cuticle the bead has to be half the size of the other two and bleed the brush of monomer abit so the bead doesn't run everywhere and flood the cuticle.
I hope this helps :)

Latest posts

Back