No shows driving me mad

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Could you please point me out in the direction where it says that you have to confirm it three times?
I said that I will send 2nd and 3rd if there is no reply to the first and that the majority of clients will reply to the first message. Not a single client complained aboutt his awful inconvenience.
I am confident about my abilities and my statement is based on the loyal client's feedback. Both, mobile and salon services only get 4 and 5 stars on review websites. I only once got 3*. I also won an award, I think it says something.
I well aware of the standards "around the corner" as all competitors were researched and mysteryshopped and I ensured that my standards are high with afoordable price tag.

So correct me if I am wrong then - as I wouldn't be able to answer the first text I would in fact receive three texts! to me that alone is an inconvenience. I wasn't mentioning your clients that reply after the first text. I'm not slating your modesty at all. I like someone that is confident in their abilities, lack of confidence is a far worse position to be in. It's great that you have won awards and your reviews are high. I am only pointing out that modesty MAY lead to self assurity but I'm confident you probably already know this.

Last edited:
I've never sent a reminder text in my life and never ever received one actually from any salon/dentist that I've had an appointment with. I'm a big girl now so I'm quite capable of putting it in my diary and making sure that I remember.

Also, if you text them, it gives them the opportunity to ask to re-arrange or cancel. Just my opinion.

I think that reminder texts serve little purpose. If they are the type to let you down they will do it whether you've text them or not.
The only thing it may do is prompt them to cancel if they have a mind to.

To be honest, I believe treating every client like royalty is paramount I.e things happen and people do have to cancel or rearrange appointments - that's life.
We have a system where when an appointment is booked it sends the client an email straight away and then a reminder email 24 hours before the appointment stating that we require 24 Hours notice should they need to cancel or full treatment cost will be charged. I have to say that 95% of bookings always show up, those that have to cancel always do within the given time frame (bar a couple her or there obviously). As every other beauty business we have had no shows but i would never react in this way. I don't mean to sound rude but I don't understand those who own beauty businesses who would have an attitude with a client if they cancel their appointment. If I did that I guarantee I would have no business. I see this as very unprofessional and would certainly put me off any business that treated me this way. You cannot risk being bad mouthed especially in these extremely hard times.
I understand the inconvenience of no shows but sometimes you have to grin and bear it. I truly believe that the more you give the more you get and to be as understanding as you can to clients will honestly do you more good than having a go at them over txt. That client will not Come back to you as they will feel uncomfortable. As some of the previous posts suggest, take deposits for those who you know are repeat offenders. That way, you know you are protected should they not turn up, plus you avoid being tempted to send a message that could potentially be very negative for your business.

Sent from my iPad using SalonGeek mobile app

I am mobile and I always send one text the day of the appointment.
It works for me.
I always ring/text if I need to cancel any appointments and it would be nice if others did too but doesn't always happen.
I haven't been doing this for long and don't have as many customers I would like but hearing everyone thoughts and the way they do things is helping me think about how I would deal with these situations should they arise.
Each to their own. Your business your rules.

I am careful who I send a reminder to. Some clients are a bit airy fairy and would take the opportunity to either re-schedule or cancel at the prompt of my text. They take it as an opportunity to find a more suitable time/day for them. This would be inconvenient. If I don't send them a text, it doesn't cross their mind to re-schedule.

Very, very few clients receive a reminder text. These are the ones that have booked a month in advance and usually forget what time the appointment is. I know that if I remind them they will stick to the appointment.

One clients asks for a reminder text and she's never let me down.

I don't mean to sound rude but I don't understand those who own beauty businesses who would have an attitude with a client if they cancel their appointment.
I can't speak for everyone on this thread but I'm guessing that like me they are talking about just the clients that don't give a damn and not the genuine people in life who have had a genuine emergency.

My 'direct' texts are rare and saved for serial cancellers only. We all have our ways or working and I would never go back to a salon that charged me a cancellation fee and I would never charge one.

In fact I have a lovely client who drives a couple of hours to get to me and I always look forward to her visits but she has over the years been unable to get out of a meeting and cancelled at the last minute. Because I know she's genuine, I've always been very understanding and one time she sent a cheque through the post. I tore it up and sent her a thank you text (nobody has ever offered before). So then she has to cancel again but like I say, she's genuine and lovely so I sent her a lovely 'no problem' text. I then received a lovely letter and a cheque for £150 insisting that I pay it in this time. I divided it between three charities and donated it in her name.

Like you, I do treat my clients like royalty as they are how I make my living. However, they treat me with the same respect and that comes from self worth and mutual respect.

We're not like the downstairs staff in Downton Abbey being 'ever so 'umble m'lady'. We are professionals!

Last edited:
Totally agree with Kim, I have no issues with cancellations, life happens! I would just prefer if people rang me to let me know they can't attend, even if it is last minute. That way I know what's going on. I just take issue with no shows as it only takes a minute to ring or even send a text if they can't call x

I've never sent a reminder text in my life and never ever received one actually from any salon/dentist that I've had an appointment with. I'm a big girl now so I'm quite capable of putting it in my diary and making sure that I remember.

Also, if you text them, it gives them the opportunity to ask to re-arrange or cancel. Just my opinion.

I agree with this. I think that by sending clients a reminder, you are actually teaching them that the booking they have made might not be a commitment.
Clients need to be responsible for their appointments. Once they have booked, they need to remember the time and date or put it in their diary or whatever means they have to keep track of their daily life.
I don't know why salons have taken on this job/exercise. Restaurants don't do it, do they?

I trust my clients to arrive for their appointment and they trust me to be there ready for them. That's it!

My CRM system sends my clients reminder texts automatically. My clients love it and appreciate it but I too get my share of no shows. I had a cracker the other day. A client left a message on the salon phone at 11 at night canceling her appt the next day. She was completely pi**ed. She then turned up the next day for her appt. I told her she had cancelled it the night before but she had no recollection. I didn't tell her she was 3 sheets to the wind when she left it!

I agree with this. I think that by sending clients a reminder, you are actually teaching them that the booking they have made might not be a commitment.
Clients need to be responsible for their appointments. Once they have booked, they need to remember the time and date or put it in their diary or whatever means they have to keep track of their daily life.
I don't know why salons have taken on this job/exercise. Restaurants don't do it, do they?

I trust my clients to arrive for their appointment and they trust me to be there ready for them. That's it!

I see your point, but on the other hand if they totally forgot or it is not convenient for them anymore, then I'd prefer to find out about it as soon as posiible. I much rather prefer to receive a cancellation text when I am able to fill it with someone else than a puzzled reply (something along the lines: "I totally forgot!") over the phone when I am trying to call them because they did not show up.
They may as well be big girls and boys, but beauty is not as important as doctor's appointment or business meeting and if people forget (not everyone thinks it is important enough to be put in the diary) because of too many commitments, we have to remind, as in the end of the day, we want this client to turn up.

I have heard that some salon's text their clients to remind them to BOOK their next appointment!
e.g: "It's been 6 weeks since your last haircut - it's time to book in!"

I don't allow them to leave til they've booked their next appointment lol!!!!

I have heard that some salon's text their clients to remind them to BOOK their next appointment!
e.g: "It's been 6 weeks since your last haircut - it's time to book in!"

My system ovatu does that too it sends one reminder to rebook

Fortunately I don't have many who fail to show up, the ones who are guilty of this are people on holiday here, take a boating holiday decide to get their hair done and don't bother to come.
My regulars if they haven't showed 15 mins into their appointment I give them a call to make sure they're ok, as it's so rare they feel valued I have called them to check nothing's wrong
I had one cancelation on the answer phone left at 3.30am due her partner bring rushed into hospital and calling me waiting for hugs ambulance bless her heart

Hi, we have a sign on our reception desk which states

Salon Policy cancellation fee's
Our team is made up of self employed business women. We would like to ask you to be considerate and give at least 24hrs notice of any cancellations. We do understand emergencies arise, but if you do not turn up we don't get paid. you reserve our time and we can not re-use it.
OVER THE LAST THREE MONTHS £652 WORTH OF BOOKINGS HAVE NOT TURNED UP !!!!!!

50% cancellation fee's will be charged

Thank you for your understanding

Once we added up our no shows we were shocked at the amount, by letting clients know the total too it does seem to have had some effect x

Gotta share this. I got a text today saying he'd seen my website but could I tell him how much X would cost………..clearly didn't read the website then.

I replied with 'Thanks for your text but it's still Christmas so I'll reply tomorrow. Have a great Boxing day' and he replied 'Is is!!! I better keep eating then. You have a lovely Boxing Day too. Call you tomorrow.'

Made me giggle.

Thats so funny :) xxx

I am mobile, thankfully don't have no shows but I do have last minute cancellations... Several on Monday 23rd for tans.

"Im still out shopping"
"Im at a friends house in....(a different area)"
"Im not home"

Obviously they apologised etc but that was the reasons given.

I could have screamed as my day was planned out around the appointments... They gave around an hours notice. Leaving gaps in my day which ment lots of waiting around.

I was livid. But as always (through gritted teeth) wished them a great christmas, & thanked them for letting me know.

I couldn't have guessed as these clients don't usually mess me around.

I don't feel sending an invoice it would be paid, being mobile getting deposits means twice the fuel... As much as Id love to give them a piece of my mind, I have to remember I am professional. I rely on clients. I don't want to scare them away, or get a bad reputation for being unprofessional.

Isn't it something like a bad experience gets repeated around 10 times (to friends & family) & a good experience gets told around 3 times. So its harder to keep up a good name, than it is to get a bad one.

Next year, I will bite the bullet & make the trips to take non refundable deposits for appointments on the 23rd of Dec...of course Im sure they will keep the appointment rather than loose money.

Xx

Next year, I will bite the bullet & make the trips to take non refundable deposits for appointments on the 23rd of Dec...of course Im sure they will keep the appointment rather than loose money.

Why don't you get yourself a way of taking payments via your phone, that would save a lot of running around?

Yes, I could do with looking in to that. Xx

Latest posts

Back