Olaplex - good/bad/indifferent?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlondeWonder

Reaction score
Hello, I really wanted to gain opinion from experienced people regarding the use and result of Olaplex, I've recently returned to my work full time after a few years break.

A customer had an over processed look to her hair, she had previously asked another hairdresser (Mobile) to remove some bright coloured (Pink) bits from her blonde hair, which had been highlighted all over with NXT. The attempt to remove the pink had been with a weak bleach plus some Olaplex, then her whole hair was treated with Olaplex after being shampooed. She described after a week or so, her hair began to snap off, and her fringe looks burnt, you can see breakage just on the crown area. The customer has been using hair masks, etc, and generally doing her best under the circs. She was advised by a more experienced colleague to have an Olaplex treatment again as this should work, what are your thoughts? (I'm just trying to gain others experienced view on as I feel the customer was wary of trying this treatment again.)
Many thanks.

From my experience of Olaplex and smartbond by loreal is that it keeps the integrity of GOOD hair, not brittle damaged porous hair. Someone with over processed hair shouldn't really have any bleach on their hair.

From my experience of Olaplex and smartbond by loreal is that it keeps the integrity of GOOD hair, not brittle damaged porous hair. Someone with over processed hair shouldn't really have any bleach on their hair.
Hi, So Olaplex is a no go?

The Olaplex was going to be used as a stand alone treatment.

The Olaplex was going to be used as a stand alone treatment.
Olaplex is amazing & the aftercare is amazing the steps. But the step 1 putting into lightener, wouldn't of made a significant difference because of how processed the hair is. I would recommend you using it for clients and them using step 3 at home.

Is her hair like straw or candy floss? If it’s very dry, brittle and snapping off, it’s already too badly damaged so Olaplex isn’t likely to do much and she’d be better off with a good cut and starting again.
I think if she spends money on intensive salon treatments but doesn’t see a significant improvement then she’s not going to be a happy returning client. I think you need to be honest with her about what her realistic options are.

Hello, I really wanted to gain opinion from experienced people regarding the use and result of Olaplex, I've recently returned to my work full time after a few years break.

A customer had an over processed look to her hair, she had previously asked another hairdresser (Mobile) to remove some bright coloured (Pink) bits from her blonde hair, which had been highlighted all over with NXT. The attempt to remove the pink had been with a weak bleach plus some Olaplex, then her whole hair was treated with Olaplex after being shampooed. She described after a week or so, her hair began to snap off, and her fringe looks burnt, you can see breakage just on the crown area. The customer has been using hair masks, etc, and generally doing her best under the circs. She was advised by a more experienced colleague to have an Olaplex treatment again as this should work, what are your thoughts? (I'm just trying to gain others experienced view on as I feel the customer was wary of trying this treatment again.)
Many thanks.
Olaplex fixes and replaces broken bonds, but doesn't replace keratin bonds, or elasticty. It is very good for preserving the condition of the hair. I would probably do olaplex treatment alongside a good cut and moisture/protein treatments. Olaplex is brilliant but it doesn't defy the laws of hairdressing. It works on the inside of the hair, so that's why it's important to have the right shampoo, conditioner /treatments to have a good balance of everything.

I bought my Olaplex from a huge distributor and took a class! I went home and did the olaplex treatment on myself and HALF MY HAIR BURNED OFF! My hair is FRIED!! I am sooo pissed I can not even say how upset I am BUT GREATFUL I didn’t do this to one of my clients and have them sue me!! I’m sick about my hair! I’ve been a working Licensed Cosmetologist for over 30+ years, I taught at a very reputable cosmetology school and I can NOT BELIEVE HOW OLAPLEX RUINED MY LONG HAIR! My hair is barely at my shoulders now and is limp and very damaged feeling fried! So the theory people are buying “counterfeit “ olaplex is NOT THE PROBLEM and a stylist who is new to the Industry is NOT THE PROBLEM!! THE ONLY PROBLEM IS WITH OLAPLEX AND IM SOOO SICK ABOUT HOW AWEFUL MY HAIR IS!

Is her hair like straw or candy floss? If it’s very dry, brittle and snapping off, it’s already too badly damaged so Olaplex isn’t likely to do much and she’d be better off with a good cut and starting again.
I think if she spends money on intensive salon treatments but doesn’t see a significant improvement then she’s not going to be a happy returning client. I think you need to be honest with her about what her realistic options are.
AMEN SISTER!!

I bought my Olaplex from a huge distributor and took a class! I went home and did the olaplex treatment on myself and HALF MY HAIR BURNED OFF! My hair is FRIED!! I am sooo pissed I can not even say how upset I am BUT GREATFUL I didn’t do this to one of my clients and have them sue me!! I’m sick about my hair! I’ve been a working Licensed Cosmetologist for over 30+ years, I taught at a very reputable cosmetology school and I can NOT BELIEVE HOW OLAPLEX RUINED MY LONG HAIR! My hair is barely at my shoulders now and is limp and very damaged feeling fried! So the theory people are buying “counterfeit “ olaplex is NOT THE PROBLEM and a stylist who is new to the Industry is NOT THE PROBLEM!! THE ONLY PROBLEM IS WITH OLAPLEX AND IM SOOO SICK ABOUT HOW AWEFUL MY HAIR IS!

I'm so sad to hear this! It's a totally awful experience and I truly feel for you. I tried it on my own hair, and it broke some of it off too, would never use again or recommend. I didn't recommend Olaplex treatment in the end for the client, I steered her away from it, and was sacked for not pushing this product treatment, which I heard was used on this particular client in the end and has fried her hair and she is now seeking compensation. I just couldn't go against my instinct that this treatment wasn't going to enhance her hair, but that's me. I'm working elsewhere now, and who seem to be more realistic about hair care, etc.

I don't quite understand how olaplex can make your hair snap off? Did you guys experience this whilst doing a stand alone treatment or using it in colour?
Also was the hair in fair condition or was it severely damaged prior to the olaplex treatment?

Many thanks.
Olaplex repairs damadged hair temporarily (2 months) so you have to keep using it and doing no 3

Smart bond and the wella plex stop the damadge from happening

There is about to be a new one launching called Karma which repairs the hair PERMENANTLY!

I am a Olaplex user and swear by it, I know how well it works and that it's temporary as I have trailed it in my own hair littlerally taking my hajr though 10 different crazy colours remkvals and everything and many of my clients swear by it :)

I will be trialling the Karma when it launches (there is a page opening this week) [emoji7] I can't wait :)

Olaplex repairs damadged hair temporarily (2 months) so you have to keep using it and doing no 3.Smart bond and the wella plex stop the damadge from happening
There is about to be a new one launching called Karma which repairs the hair PERMENANTLY!

Please copy your sources as that’s not what the industry says.

Olaplex is unique with protected patents.
I don’t know where you’ve got ‘2 months’ from but the bonds will always break again through normal wear and tear.

Smart bond, Wella, Fake-plex...etc. are all (poor) copies that don’t contain the patented ingredient that Olaplex contains. They are essentially conditioning treatments.

Never heard of Karma but it sounds like another big brand jumping on the bandwagon. :(

Please copy your sources as that’s not what the industry says.

Olaplex is unique with protected patents.
I don’t know where you’ve got ‘2 months’ from but the bonds will always break again through normal wear and tear.

Smart bond, Wella, Fake-plex...etc. are all (poor) copies that don’t contain the patented ingredient that Olaplex contains. They are essentially conditioning treatments.

Never heard of Karma but it sounds like another big brand jumping on the bandwagon. :(
That's just out of my own expierance not from any other source my hair was really quite damadged,Olaplex fixed it, but I lost the same hair that was fixed from breakage about 2 months after stopping using Olaplex, I stopped colouring if any kind at the same time, I only use professional products, and heat protector every time I use any kind of heat

I love Olaplex and still use it on my clients, but I am aware from my own expiwrance that it is only temporary fix and trying to keep the hair health in the first place is the best thing to do

Every time you use heat to dry or straighten your hair, you’re going to be breaking those bonds. That’s normal. That’s why you have to use Olaplex all the time if you want to maintain the hair’s integrity.

Also, it only fixes broken disulphide bonds. It won’t do anything to fix damaged or missing cuticle scales.

If you use hot tools, apply colour etc. you will be causing some degree of damage to the cuticle layer. Olaplex can’t minimise this and that’s why they remind professionals to use their judgement wisely and not to risk pushing the hair too far by using too strong a developer with bleach, for instance.

Last edited:
Every time you use heat to dry or straighten your hair, you’re going to be breaking those bonds. That’s normal. That’s why you have to use Olaplex all the time if you want to maintain the hair’s integrity.

Also, it only fixes broken disulphide bonds. It won’t do anything to fix damaged or missing cuticle scales.

If you use hot tools, apply colour etc. you will be causing some degree of damage to the cuticle layer. Olaplex can’t minimise this and that’s why they remind professionals to use their judgement wisely and not to risk pushing the hair too far by using too strong a developer with bleach, for instance.
Of course, but for what I was doing to it daily/weekly to how much started snapping was completely off, as it pretty much all went within a month, and I wasn't really using hot tools, just drying it, I was doing professional masks so if anything it should have stayed in the condition it was when I stopped the Olaplex,

It felt nice just all went in a short time...

Too much protein also causes hair to snap.

Too much protein also causes hair to snap.

Why is this please, as reading these comments made me think [emoji848] ‘maybe a protein or keratin mask would be better’ but now I’m thinking again!

Why is this please, as reading these comments made me think [emoji848] ‘maybe a protein or keratin mask would be better’ but now I’m thinking again!
Because protein strengths, and if you put to much strength into anything it become brittle, and because hair has to be flowy due to brushing and styling it if it becomes brittle then when doing these things it just snaps

Look up protein vs moisture in hair on Google

It has to be the right balance :)

Latest posts

Back