Opening home salon

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amanda-43

Reaction score
Hi everyone
I would appreciate any help or advice for opening a room in my home to be done out as a beauty/nail salon.
It will be my down stairs living room with access to downstairs toilet and dvd's for clients children to watch.
Can I put a board outside and put a salon name outside etc.
Anything would help.

Check with your local planning office to check what signage you can put outside your house first.
If you go above a certain size or put description on your sign you may have to apply for planning permission.
Our council has the info on their website which was helpful before I ordered a sign.
I don't know about A boards as I haven't looked into this.

As above, check with your local council. But... I'm not sure I'd want to advertise a home salon from the street.... encouraging randoms & nutters to just call in to your home! ;) ;) ;) Good luck with your new venture :)

I think part of the USP for a home salon is the privacy it affords. I never had a sign outside. You don't want door knockers, you want clients who have found you through advertising to be able to find your house without anything too obvious x

I just have small sign on my gate just with the name of the salon. I'm in a holiday area so lots walk past me in the summer but I don't actually do any advertising targeting them specifically.
Holidaymakers are about 3% of my client base and they all book by phone.
Because it's a steep walk up to my house they can't be bothered to come to the salon door. They take a photo of my sign then look on the internet when they get back to their caravan.
If someone does make it to the front door I give them a price list and tell them to ring me later. Most of the time I'm too expensive for them so they don't ring.

My top tip for anyone working from home is to lock your front door when with a client.

Latest posts

Back