Opinions please (constructive criticism wanted)

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sara-Jane

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm very new to the forum, and would just like an opinion on how my acrylic application is looking so far, the picture I'll attach haven't been filed or buffed yet, just prepared, tip, and applied acrylic, also it's taking me about 5 minutes per finger so far, from prep to this point, what would be an ideal time or is that fine?

Thanks in advance for any feedback

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1454081907.388426.jpg
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1454081922.094938.jpg
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1454081935.251478.jpg

I realise it's a Friday night and people may be busy, but any feedback will be greatly appreciated....

I don't do nails but that looks great and would be a happy client if you was to do that on me! Well done and good luck, hope you get the feedback you want soon x

I don't do nails but that looks great and would be a happy client if you was to do that on me! Well done and good luck, hope you get the feedback you want soon x

Ah thank you very much that means a lot, it's something I've wanted to do for ages and finally took the plunge xx

Your lower arch is too low and needs refinement, imagine if the nail were to grow straight out. Turn the finger to its side to get a good look and file a nice straight line from growth channel straight out

Also your front form is flaring out a little , you are not tapering it enough in by the sidewalls. keep your brush at a 45 degree angle as you taper to the sidewalls to keep the bulk in the centre of the nails

I also think your apex is a tad bulky , thin it out a little :)

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1454105425.023882.jpg
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1454105443.091983.jpg

Your lower arch is too low and needs refinement, imagine if the nail were to grow straight out. Turn the finger to its side to get a good look and file a nice straight line from growth channel straight out

Also your front form is flaring out a little , you are not tapering it enough in by the sidewalls. keep your brush at a 45 degree angle as you taper to the sidewalls to keep the bulk in the centre of the nails

I also think your apex is a tad bulky , thin it out a little :)

View attachment 193875View attachment 193876
Ah thankyou for the input again it is much appreciated xx

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1454135729.682745.jpg
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1454135760.546344.jpg

Well this is the little guy after filing and a bit of buffing, I think I'm done with him now, Obviously practice makes perfect, and attention to little details

Looks much better! What an improvement :)

Out of curiosity, is the acrylic course from Essential Nails? I agree with noreenoconnor, sides needed to be streamlined and less curved which you have done a good job. Apex should be no more than 1mm thick, cuticle area should be thin and free edge should be no thicker than a credit card (1mm).

Out of curiosity, is the acrylic course from Essential Nails? I agree with noreenoconnor, sides needed to be streamlined and less curved which you have done a good job. Apex should be no more than 1mm thick, cuticle area should be thin and free edge should be no thicker than a credit card (1mm).
Yes, it is an Essential Nails course, and thank you for your opinion too, I agree it does look much better after, I should have streamlined the edges a bit better before applying the acrylic

Yes, it is an Essential Nails course, and thank you for your opinion too, I agree it does look much better after, I should have streamlined the edges a bit better before applying the acrylic

Nice one. I did the complete gel nail career (I did 6 courses with them last year and the gel nail is a very dirty course as there was a lot of filing involved but having a mask on, an air purifier and nail debris fan helps) but including the manicure and pedicure courses which were not included. I am now doing the one stroke master tech course which is very time consuming but results are looking nice.

Nice one. I did the complete gel nail career (I did 6 courses with them last year and the gel nail is a very dirty course as there was a lot of filing involved but having a mask on, an air purifier and nail debris fan helps) but including the manicure and pedicure courses which were not included. I am now doing the one stroke master tech course which is very time consuming but results are looking nice.

Ah nice, I'd love to do a few of their courses, suits me down to the ground with the learning style, but here in Croydon Acrylics is the way to go and I think I'll do the manicure and pedicure and see how I go with them 3 at first

It's nice being able to get opinions and advice from professionals as the standard of acrylic enhancements offered here in Croydon is not very good, too many NSS who leave you with sore ruined fingers and terrible shaped nails and I speak from experience there (I used to come home and start filing away at the acrylic as it looked so unnatural so when I ask family and friends about what I've shown you they think it's really good because they don't know any better, and compared to what is offered here in Croydon in the NSS it is a million times better

Ah nice, I'd love to do a few of their courses, suits me down to the ground with the learning style, but here in Croydon Acrylics is the way to go and I think I'll do the manicure and pedicure and see how I go with them 3 at first

It's nice being able to get opinions and advice from professionals as the standard of acrylic enhancements offered here in Croydon is not very good, too many NSS who leave you with sore ruined fingers and terrible shaped nails and I speak from experience there (I used to come home and start filing away at the acrylic as it looked so unnatural so when I ask family and friends about what I've shown you they think it's really good because they don't know any better, and compared to what is offered here in Croydon in the NSS it is a million times better

I trained purely in gel to dip my toes in enhancements as I wanted to do nail art as well - I must tell you that the feedback you get from the DVD and from EN can be a bit misleading as I feel the DVD is out of date and needs a revamp. You can do acrylics and put gel on top of the acrylic and you get the durability of acrylics plus the shine of gel. One client I did broke one of her nails en route to me and I offered to extend it so I fixed it with Gelish sculpting gel which is great stuff. It lasted on her 2 months until she filed it off on her own as the nail grew and left the UK as was here on holiday. She was not pleased with the standard she gets in her country in comparison to the standard of service I gave her here.

Same happens in Lancaster; too many NSS's that offer a substandard service and then tarnishes the reputation for those who have spent the time and money on courses and insurance. Not long ago, someone in facebook was asking around if a nail tech could come to her because she specifically asked for gel and was given acrylic. I saw her fingers and they were bleeding and nails really thin.

20151117_233115.jpg

I trained purely in gel to dip my toes in enhancements as I wanted to do nail art as well - I must tell you that the feedback you get from the DVD and from EN can be a bit misleading as I feel the DVD is out of date and needs a revamp. You can do acrylics and put gel on top of the acrylic and you get the durability of acrylics plus the shine of gel. One client I did broke one of her nails en route to me and I offered to extend it so I fixed it with Gelish sculpting gel which is great stuff. It lasted on her 2 months until she filed it off on her own as the nail grew and left the UK as was here on holiday. She was not pleased with the standard she gets in her country in comparison to the standard of service I gave her here.

Same happens in Lancaster; too many NSS's that offer a substandard service and then tarnishes the reputation for those who have spent the time and money on courses and insurance. Not long ago, someone in facebook was asking around if a nail tech could come to her because she specifically asked for gel and was given acrylic. I saw her fingers and they were bleeding and nails really thin.

View attachment 193967

Oh most definitely the dvd is quite dated, but the learning style does really suit me, with 2 children 2 years old and 6 month old, finding someone to babysit is quite hard, they don't mind the 2 year old but all scared of the 6 month old lol but it's easy practicing when they are napping and when they go to bed at night a get a few hours to myself to just sit, and I do love nails so it's not really a chore, I like trying to perfect it [emoji4]

I've had a play around with gels and builder gels before, but I do much prefer building enhancements with acrylic and then like you say gel polish on top, and gels for the designs, although I'm looking forward to having a go at 3D acrylic nail art, I'm always watching YouTube videos as the things people can do!

Love them flowers you've done, unfortunately when I've just tried it ends up looking like I've just splattered some colour on there and not finished what I was doing lol

Hi fellow Croydonian [emoji136] I only offer hard gel extensions and overlays and gel polish and I have a growing clientele as they are mainly sick and tired of all the NSS around here

Latest posts

Back