Orange palms - disaster!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never used a barrier cream either, but I visited Steve and Dawn at the Nouvatan stand while at excel and saw them using it, they just got the girl to hold her hands out palm up and wiped some on.
My routine is tan finished, I take some couch roll and rub around the wrist area, along the sides of the fingers and the backs of the heels. I then get them to show me their hands and I say to them, your hands are fine now, lets keep it that way, don't touch your face, you will have orange hands by the time you take a shower, when you go to bed tonight, put a pair of socks on your hands otherwise you risk having orange hands in the morning. Do not ring me tomorrow and say I HAVE ORANGE HANDS, because as you can see, there is no guide colour on your hands now so if you do have orange hands tomorrow I will know you haven't followed my advise. I make sure I smile while I say this and usually follow up with telling them how I tuck my hands into my arm pits while I sleep so it's experience talking here. hth x

I use Aqueous cream as a barrier cream. Aqueous cream is just a cheap oil free moisturier but works great as a tanning barrier cream. You can buy it from most chemists and you get a big tub for around £1.

I then put that cream into a pump dispenser and pump 2 sqirts of cream onto the clients palm. I then instruct the client to rub the palms together, rub the knees, elbows and heels and any other dry skin they know they have, then rub their wrists together to blend the cream from palms into wrists I then give them 1 more squirt and tell them to rub the palms together gently so the cream stays quite thick on the palms.

The thin layer over the knees. elbows and heels just stops the solution grabbing at any dry areas and then the thicker layer on palms stops the solution totally.

I use Aqueous cream as a barrier cream. Aqueous cream is just a cheap oil free moisturier but works great as a tanning barrier cream. You can buy it from most chemists and you get a big tub for around £1.

I then put that cream into a pump dispenser and pump 2 sqirts of cream onto the clients palm. I then instruct the client to rub the palms together, rub the knees, elbows and heels and any other dry skin they know they have, then rub their wrists together to blend the cream from palms into wrists I then give them 1 more squirt and tell them to rub the palms together gently so the cream stays quite thick on the palms.

The thin layer over the knees. elbows and heels just stops the solution grabbing at any dry areas and then the thicker layer on palms stops the solution totally.
Thanks for this Baggybear -- just what i needed. I've got double base - think that'll do the same job. Does the application to dry areas not block the tan out then? Worried they'd end up with white patches.

I've never used a barrier cream either, but I visited Steve and Dawn at the Nouvatan stand while at excel and saw them using it, they just got the girl to hold her hands out palm up and wiped some on.
My routine is tan finished, I take some couch roll and rub around the wrist area, along the sides of the fingers and the backs of the heels. I then get them to show me their hands and I say to them, your hands are fine now, lets keep it that way, don't touch your face, you will have orange hands by the time you take a shower, when you go to bed tonight, put a pair of socks on your hands otherwise you risk having orange hands in the morning. Do not ring me tomorrow and say I HAVE ORANGE HANDS, because as you can see, there is no guide colour on your hands now so if you do have orange hands tomorrow I will know you haven't followed my advise. I make sure I smile while I say this and usually follow up with telling them how I tuck my hands into my arm pits while I sleep so it's experience talking here. hth x

wow Susie H you're strict!!! lol Think i'll definitely do the little talk. I'd be worried about rubbing with couch roll in case i made a white patch. Does it have a blending effect?

Thanks for this Baggybear -- just what i needed. I've got double base - think that'll do the same job. Does the application to dry areas not block the tan out then? Worried they'd end up with white patches.

The way I had barrier cream described to me was:
A thin layer just slows the absorbtion or sort of dilutes it a bit so the area still tans but it doesn't go that horrid orange colour that tan does when it grabs onto dry skin.

The thicker layer literally stops the tan reaching the skin at all therfore no tanning effect.

You should only use an OIL FREE moisturiser as a barrier cream, I'm not sure what ingredients are in double base so can't say if that would be a suitable cream to use or not.

Dont think doublebase is oil free :sad:
Thanks for the heads up about the aqueous cream nice and cheap thats what we like Lol :D Xx

johnsons baby wipes are a life saver!!!, i was being very brave letting my mum (untrained) give me a spray tan, my face,neck and arms went really dark and patchy,:o think she got a little too close!! and i found scrubbing with johnsons babywipes was the only thing that removed it! xxx

Toothpaste with a little salt will remove the colour from her hand. This has happen to me and it happened whilst asleep. So not your fault at all. Once youve finshed Spraying place a baby wipe on her hand ask her to close hands together and gently rub together. Trying to deter her from layers and layers: the tan is only a guide colour and will darker over development time, to many layers will not properly be absorbed into skin so there fire she runs the risk of lighter and darker areas good luck hun X

EXACTLY what I say and I sleep on my stomach with my hands on my thighs ad do a little demo.

Your trainer should have told you how to deal with these sorts fo things... but never mind...ask them about barrier creams and how to use them....

I would invest in some Q&A Leaflets to give to your clients and reiterate before you leave what they can and can't do after the tan.... The 'loose pair of socks on hands at bedtime' can be a solution for people who sleep on thier hands...even if it's not that sexy... You can get these from your tan supplier XXX

Witch hazel is pretty good at removing fake tan :)

Ha ha I think I'd put up with an orange hand for a week than scrub with diluted bleach :O

Your trainer should have told you how to deal with these sorts fo things... but never mind...ask them about barrier creams and how to use them....

I would invest in some Q&A Leaflets to give to your clients and reiterate before you leave what they can and can't do after the tan.... The 'loose pair of socks on hands at bedtime' can be a solution for people who sleep on thier hands...even if it's not that sexy... You can get these from your tan supplier XXX

Thanks STQ, to be honest, i don't rate my trainer & feel she's given me some duff info re cleaning gun. I've found you guys to be far more informative. Im actually thinking of re-training - any advice? Think i'll defo get some Q&A. i already give an info leaflet but it doesn't say anything about covering hands. x

Latest posts

Back