other people using your nail art pics

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacqui

Reaction score
hi everyone,

i was walking past a local nail studio today and had a quick look at the board they have at the door advertising nails and nail art, and to my suprise there was a picture from the geeks gallery. i remembered it because i thought these nails were top class.

when i got home i checked and the persons whose picture it was, and they live in australia, so, how come it is now in the north east.

i havent mentioned the salons name or the name of the person whose pic it is, just incase they have asked permission to use it.

but, out of curiosity has any of the australian geeks been asked by a geek from the north east if its ok to use there pic.

please accept my apologies if they have asked for permission.
just thought you should know, just in case.

OMG!!! ... are you sure they havent just copied the design???
If its the original artist pic they have used then Id be interested to know where peeps stand doing such a thing!
I suppose thats the chance we take by putting our pics up on the net.
Best to always put your name on your work and if you have a site see if you cant have right click disabled!
Food for thought though!!!

i'm pretty sure its the same pic. thats how it caught my eye.

but i will check 2morrow.

Plagerism or something its called, I did it on Melle a long time ago I didnt think she'd mind - sorry Melle but your airbrushing is brilliant! :o
Terrible, terrible thing to do - didnt stick it up though I had it as part of a colla'ge thing that I had on my desk under the glass!!

(this isnt aimed at you red admiral by the way the slaon that has used the image!! Just thought I would put that before I continue on a rant just that my comments are following on from yours but are about the salon in question!!) How rude of the salon well if they havent asked for permision and they are copying someone elses work then you should report them how cheeky is that. Thats got right up my nose that one some people can be so rude if I am jumping the gun then fair enough but I think the more likey story is that they have stolen the picture to use it and pass it off as their own down right cheeky if you ask me arghhhhhhhh :eek:

Hi fellow Geekers,

I have copied pics of this site but only to be used as a referance for my technique and what a nice set should look like. I don't even show them to my customers because i won't whant them to think they are my work. I think it is dishonest to use some one else work to get customers that will think that is your work when it is not .

--------

Tricia

I think Glor's is pretty right there.....

In as much as we put them on the web.........
& have no control over who see's them or what they do with them...

Putting your name to someone else's writing or art work is Plagerism.
Using & copying litriture is
Intellectual Theft.

Both are serious offences.......

IMO neither of them are NOT NICE.

hTh
XX J XX

God i can't beleive some people we have some really talented people on this site and i'm sure most of them wouldn't mind if there images were used as long as they had their name below or something.

The cheek of some people!

So potential clients are being fooled my advertisments because the pictures these people are using potential clients will think they are capable of producing and they are not i feel sorry for the clients.

Cowboys!

glittergirl said:
So potential clients are being fooled my advertisments because the pictures these people are using potential clients will think they are capable of producing and they are not i feel sorry for the clients.

Cowboys!

I agree! Lets hope the client asks the salon for the nailart which is being displayed & the nail technician hasnt got a clue on how to do it, & hopefully the client will see them for what they really are.

Louise x

But on the other hand, the salon may be acknowledging somewhere where the pic is from!!!!
They may also have permission as has been said already and if they can do the design then they`re ok but me being me tonight, wouldn`t it serve them right if they have no permission, didn`t acknowledge who did it and couldn`t do the same design themselves, they wouldn`t look very professional then would they?

hi everyone,

i'm going to check it out properly 2morrow, i will have another look on the board, to check if they say where it's from, and i am going into the salon to see if there are any more.
it's a bit sneaky, but i dont like the idea of them taking peoples pics if they dont have permission.
let you know 2morrow.

Some good points raised here. Lots of sites steal all sorts of stuff from other sites mainly because they cant do such a good job themselves. Yes, they will get found out soooner or later, but it is the clients who more than likely will suffer as the salon's finished nails wont come anywhere near what the picture promises. Unfortunately, there always seems to be some people who will STILL go back even when it's obvious that the work is not upto scratch.

Posting your pics on the 'net? If you want to be guaranteed that people wont steal your nail pics, there's only one thing you can do...... dont post them on the net, I'm afraid it is really that simple. A half decent webmaster will grab your pics from your site in less than 1 second with or without 'right-click disabled', sorry to be a bubble burster here, just putting you guys in the picture. The best defence against opportunistic thieves is to put your name, website name, etc across the pic and make sure it's in a prominent place, ie, not in a corner where it can easily be cropped. Do understand though, that even this isnt a failsafe method, you've all seen the funny emails with celebrity heads transposed onto farm animals, etc. If they can do that to a photo and still make it look realistic, it's no problem for them to remove your name.

That said however, if you just take the usual precautions that I mentioned above, you'll be safe from the casual thieves. Dont let them win, keep posting your pics in the Galleries, whether they be here in The Geek site, The Nail Directory or your own web site. :biggrin:

Thanx for that Seanny, I had kind of thought as I wrote my response yesterday that there would be some clever cloggs who would be able to get rid of your name on a pic, especially by just putting it underneath.
I keep meaning to check out the way peeps do that 'ghost signature' across their work, just to make it a bit trickier.
Guess I should have known better but, computer illiterate as I am, ... I thought a right click would prevent pic stealing... full stop! :o
Oh well, I guess it would at least stop your average nail tech with a penchant for other peeps work!

Glorsclaws said:
Guess I should have known better but, computer illiterate as I am, ... I thought a right click would prevent pic stealing... full stop! :o

Glo.... you're part of a big club, lots of people believe the same to be true, yours truly was a fully paid-up member until not so long ago. ;)

Im going to start watermarking the images - however this will not prevent theft of pics - just discourage it or create more work for those trying to nick em.

The Nail Geek said:
Im going to start watermarking the images - however this will not prevent theft of pics - just discourage it or create more work for those trying to nick em.
Sam .... thats absolutely fantastic!!!
'Every little helps' as they say!
Thank you soooo much for looking out for us :hug:

Its very hard when you put pictures on the web to stop people from taking them unless you do disable them and having your name on them does help. - I thought the right click disabler worked? I'm setting up a gallery on the new site :Scared: !!!

Just to let you know Melle's name is on all of her work and was on my desk and I had no problems telling everyone that these were her nails but then again Melle trained me so its not really the same as her name is also on my certificates that are in full view so my customers wont really think that its my work.
I wouldnt do it now as I dont need to but I know loads do it, I've seen loads of American work on peeps pricelist. The best one is pricelist with EZFlow boogie nights on front and the Tech is using Star Nails!

It is impossible to prevent people taking images off a web page. Right click disablers are only deterents for people who know very little about web browsers. Most browsers download images from web sites onto their local computere so they dont have to be downloaded again. This saves bandwidth and makes for faster viewing of pages.
Simply viewing your cache will show you the picture whether or not you disable the right click.
You can also disable javascript which means your right clicker wont work or simply bring the image up by typing the url in direct.

In a nutshell - there are only minimal deterents but they only work for some (maybe enough though!). Like I said - Ill be watermarkering these images. I just need to set some time aside to create the watermark. :)

RedAdmiral said:
The best one is pricelist with EZFlow boogie nights on front and the Tech is using Star Nails!

lol!!
ive got EzFlow pic on my price lists for clients and for education but i can do whats on the pic and i am allowed to use the images to advertise EzFlow education etc...
im the salon ive got a wee flick frame which has photos thats ive done for my client to look through and to give them ideas

Jess
xox

One of my pics turned up on an American site, but I got in contact with them and they have put my name and email under the pic now.

Im glad your gonna do this Sam as there are so many of us that like to upload our pics to get other geeks opinions on.

Latest posts

Back