other people using your nail art pics

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wrong Wrong Wrong
If there's one thing I hate it's picture theives.
I work as a dog and motorsport Photographer also and it just ticks me right off. Did you know people dont even care if tey are watermarked to the hilt?? They even came up to our store at one event wrote down their image numbers and TOLD US they were just going to steal them off the internet like they did last year. :irked:

Just to note - I have not given permission for any of my photos to be used anywhere to date. I really should watermark my nail photos too (even though they are hopeless Im no good on non moving objects LMAO)

jacqui said:
hi everyone,

i was walking past a local nail studio today and had a quick look at the board they have at the door advertising nails and nail art, and to my suprise there was a picture from the geeks gallery. i remembered it because i thought these nails were top class.

when i got home i checked and the persons whose picture it was, and they live in australia, so, how come it is now in the north east.

i havent mentioned the salons name or the name of the person whose pic it is, just incase they have asked permission to use it.

but, out of curiosity has any of the australian geeks been asked by a geek from the north east if its ok to use there pic.

please accept my apologies if they have asked for permission.
just thought you should know, just in case.

Hey Jacquie, im an aussie nail tech, was it possibly some of my art i have posted on the geek site?????

~bec~ said:
Hey Jacquie, im an aussie nail tech, was it possibly some of my art i have posted on the geek site?????

hi bec,
yes it was your pic, it is the one you have for your avatar.

Well i'll be.............i didnt give them permission to use it. i will have to watermark my images, and i sugguest everyone does. Cause it would be especially nice if people are using your work to be giving you recognition for it!!!! Thanks for brining this up!! hugs and kisses, bec xxoo

Agree totally Jadey

If anyone has taken or not been given permission & bleesings to use
Anything from TSE .... I am going to be VERY NOT HAPPY!!!!!!!!

[And it has happened .................]

So I am looking into what it involves to rectify & FIX the problem

Could'nt Imagine a cheap IMITATION of it
Though a couple of silly people have thought about it..

The hide of Em......

Bec we'll look into it when you get here
We can even call the Salon if you want from here.......

Know exactly how you feel Jadey.

XX J XX

Ok I am not saying all this picture robbing is good but! I do think that as professional nail techs we have to have a degree of trust between ourselves and those who choose to use other nail pics then thats up to them, but if I saw my nails pics produced anywhere then its not really going to bother me. That is as long as they're not saying they done them. I know that I did them and if thats what they need to do to get the work then so be it. The client isn't daft and will work out for themselves if the nail tech can not procuce this kind of work. I have at the moment a poster in my window of Audrey Hepburn and next to it it says " beauty Packages" bla bla bla, and I am sure that the clients know that I can not make them look like this by the time they leave, but it is something to aspire to.

You know what i would do......go into the salon , point to the pic and say i want those please !!!!! just see there faces when they can't do em.....!!! then when they say oh no its just a pic we have ....i'd say well why are you showing examples of other peoples work when you cant even do them.....if this was my picture i wouldnt be happy at all.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I think the problem is not that the pictures are being used/shown by another individual or organization, it's that proper creditation isnt being given and that's a little disturbing. Yes, it's a good thing if someone wants to display your work on their site or in their salon window, but they are obliged to ask your permission first, and then put your name on it.

I take Angie's point about walking into the salon and asking for that particular design, etc on nails (the one shown in the picture) The problem is they may actually try and reproduce it and fail miserably. I would have some very serious doubts about any salon that is willing to steal pictures belonging to someone else and try to pass them off as their own. If someone is using your work without your permission, maybe a simple email stating your wishes might rectify the problem, if it doesnt.... well, I dont know what the answer is.

By the way, if anyone has pics posted in the galleries of The Nail Directory or Liberty Nail Design and you haven't marked them as your own initially. I'll be happy to it for you now, simply email me and I'll sort it out.

I have to agree that if someone uses your pic then the least they can do is accredit your name to it. I wouldnt mind if anyone wanted to use any of my pics because if someone were to use one then they must like it :) But I would hope that they put my name on it :)

I must admit that I trawl the pictures on here and seannys site and the web in general because i absolutely love the work the people do and some of them that I find really inspiring I do save on my pc. I use these pics to help me to produce some work that i can be proud of and I really hope that noone minds if I sort of "copy" their designs for my own practice. But I promise that when I show my friends etc what I have done I always say that I get the inspiration from whoever it was that the original design came from and even show them their pics. There are some amazing nail artist that I so admire like Lell's 3d work and Dawn's (aurora) and Sam Biddle's and I have used their pics to try and improve my own - they are so inspiring ) I never ever use someone elses work and try to pass it as mine - that is just plain daft! surely the work that you advertise is what you want clients to ask for and you need to be able to actually do it!

How must CND feel?.....when there are websites out there for 'nail technicians' for price lists, mobile technicians, and salons using their beautiful imagery
...with the © right through the middle of it. Even the copyright logo doesnt seem to deter these people...

It sometimes makes me wonder if these people think the
© is a new 'Creative Nail Design' logo?!?!?

I do have to say a big thanks to Designer Nails Ltd UK for their help when I started out many moons ago. Service was first class and my price list complete with great 'images courtesy of Creative Nail Design' looked great!

I would be quite flattered by this but also annoyed that they hadn't asked for my permission.

NailStyle said:
You know what i would do......go into the salon , point to the pic and say i want those please !!!!! just see there faces when they can't do em.....!!! then when they say oh no its just a pic we have ....i'd say well why are you showing examples of other peoples work when you cant even do them.....if this was my picture i wouldnt be happy at all.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

he he, thats what my dad said!!!!!!

just thought i would let you all know, i have just been passed the salon again that has becs picture on their board outside.
they have pics of nail art then pics for spray tanning etc...

they have a title perfect nails or nail perfect (not sure which way round)
with a strip of 5 pics of nail art underneath, (becs is at top, of course.)
to the side, at the top they have a logo with the creative design on.
there is no info about whose nails they are.

by the way the title of the pics is not the name of the salon.

Hi,
While I was training 10 years ago now... I produced some really original nail art, because I had to submit my designs as part of my exam my instructor copied them and started using them as her own, she even put her name to my work! :smack: I was only 17 at the time so I didn't know much about copyright etc, she even threatened to sue me if I used the designs! Without wanting to sound too up myself they were her most popular designs and many of her clients asked for them. Just a warning to be really careful with your designs because some people have absolutely no morals and don't care whether they're stealing or not, such a shame that we can't be really confident in sharing our work with others in the industry.

Witchiebabe said:
Just a warning to be really careful with your designs because some people have absolutely no morals and don't care whether they're stealing or not, such a shame that we can't be really confident in sharing our work with others in the industry.

totally agree with you.

I think Nail Styles idea is brill. Ask the techs to do a set just like the one in the picture. Also remember, there is a certain level of trust between the geeks on this site but alot of peeps come on here to lurk and never really contribute or get involved. Those are the peeps we don't get to meet and who are more likely to be a bit sneaky. I'm not putting down lurking geeks here, I'm just saying that this is likely to be where pics may get nikked.
A question though and please excuse my ingnorance ........ What is meant by watermarking a pic on the net?

marking your pics... is just that. Putting your own personal mark, be it your name, your website addy or whatever to identify your nail pics as your own property. It's been said before, but it's worth saying again, it's the single biggest deterrent to opportunistic thieves.

I've written a step by step tutorial with illustrations showing just how easy it is to mark your own pics using the Irfanview programme (download for free). To view the tutorial, just click on the following link.​

Seanny said:
marking your pics... is just that. Putting your own personal mark, be it your name, your website addy or whatever to identify your nail pics as your own property. It's been said before, but it's worth saying again, it's the single biggest deterrent to opportunistic thieves.

I've written a step by step tutorial with illustrations showing just how easy it is to mark your own pics using the Irfanview programme (download for free). To view the tutorial, just click on the following link.​

Sean to the rescue yet again for a computer ignoramus like me. Ta very much. You're a star!

sorry but i disagree if i walked past a shop and saw a pic that i had done i would feel well chuffed

Julia, if someone was using one of your pics to advertise their services yet they claimed it as their own work, I fail to see any reason why you should feel chuffed. If someone stole your prized garden ornaments and then placed them in their own garden saying that they now owned them because they liked the look of them, would you feel chuffed about that? Theft is theft!!

Latest posts

Back