PAT testing

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobbyrazz

Reaction score
Hi all. Random thoughts at random times..

I have decided that when I start my business I'm going to work from home instead of mobile. I know my UV lamp, table lamp ect will need PAT testing but will I need to have everything in my home tested, with it technically being a business premises? I would have thought it would only be anything that is used for business purposes. Hope this isn't too much of a daft question!

I'm not an expert but when my PAT testing man came round he said anything to do with beauty equipment you are using, also lamps/lights and extension leads. So that's what I had tested. He also told me if I buy any more equipment it had to be pat tested (I thought you didn't have to pat test new products). I hope this helps xx

Hi
I work in safety as my main job.

We use to have all our office equipment tested every 6 months but as it is used in a low risk area ( not exposed to high mobile use, as The P is for portable, potential of wires being run over, etc) we have changed ours to yearly

The Electricity at Work Regulations 1989 require that any electrical equipment that has the potential to cause injury is maintained in a safe condition. However, the Regulations do not specify what needs to be done, by whom or how frequently (ie they don't make inspection or testing of electrical appliances a legal requirement, nor do they make it a legal requirement to undertake this annually).
The frequency of inspection and testing depends upon the type of equipment and the environment it is used in. For example, a power tool used on a construction site should be examined more frequently than a lamp in a hotel bedroom.
New equipment should be supplied in a safe condition and not require a formal portable appliance inspection or test. However, a simple visual check is recommended to verify the item is not damaged.
The law simply requires an employer to ensure that their electrical equipment is maintained in order to prevent danger. It does not say how this should be done or how often. Employers should take a risk-based approach, considering the type of equipment and what it is being used for. If it is*used regularly and moved a lot e.g. a floor cleaner or a kettle, testing (along with visual checks) can be an important part of an effective maintenance regime giving employers confidence that they are doing what is necessary to help them meet their legal duties. HSE provides guidance on how to maintain equipment including the use of PAT.

Hope this helps x

Thanks ladies!

I think it's best to check with insurance company as although 'legally' duty of care is on the employer, it may be that the pat testing takes responsibility away from u and u may not be covered by insurance. Xx

Do check with your insurers as to what they require.

For example my insurance for other business, (Bars etc) requires PAT testing, it also requires that any visiting suppliers, ie; artistes, builders, plumbers etc have PAT test certificates for their equipment, and their own public liability insurance. And we must see the original certs, and have copies for our records, should any claims arise.

As the title say I've just had an unexpected visit from our Borough Council asking if she could do an inspection. I was happy to oblige!

Apparently most places will refuse and ask for an appoitment but I wasn't fazed.

I asked about PAT testing and she confirmed this is not a legal requirement, even though PAT testers will tell you so.

As long as you regularly check portable devices for defects and repair or replace, log a report of when you carry out the inspections, then you are fine.

The important thing is to actually carry out the inspection and log it.

Hi all. Random thoughts at random times..

I have decided that when I start my business I'm going to work from home instead of mobile. I know my UV lamp, table lamp ect will need PAT testing but will I need to have everything in my home tested, with it technically being a business premises? I would have thought it would only be anything that is used for business purposes. Hope this isn't too much of a daft question!

Hello

Speaking as Director of a PAT Testing company;

1. Check what your insurance requires
2. PAT Testing is an old term and only used for ease as it's what people know. The correct term is a mouthful "inspection and testing of in-service electrical equipment" - it's not just portable equipment any more but any electrical equipment.

As a mobile hairdresser you're not classed as low risk like an office, you are high risk as your equipment can:
1. easily get wet
2. easily get damaged

and thus can become dangerous.

You won't have much equipment so in the interests of your own well-being and that of your customers get your equipment checked, for the sake of £50 it's a whole lot cheaper than the risk of legal action by an electrocuted customer. Harsh, but true.

I test all my own equipment, did my C&G 2377 after my engineering and electrical installations courses - my day job is a sparky, nails are a sideline!

My brother does mine in return for a haircut :)

Omg how stupid do I feel, I have not had my electric equipment PAT checked!!! Won't be a problem though as when me & hubby move to Germany in 2 weeks the Army have someone who does it all because they have to check your English plug's will be safe with a european adapter etc....everything is packed for the move, so I'm not knowingly being naughty anymore lol, good thread...learned a lesson lol x

Latest posts

Back