Paying high costs for training in a product

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the problem is that the costings are targeted at large commercial salon chains and also that there is a high level of price across the board so no one will reduce when they know people will pay.

hmm, good point.
its when its just a single therapist that there are more issues to consider.

i agree.

you do have to consider whether the trainers are independent though.

like me for example, i dont sell the lechat products that i train people to use, i just contract to the distributor. so i cant make any money from the sale of the product so cant reduce my training fee. but then i dont go overboard in the cost anyway.i wonder if other companies work like this.

i definately feel that those who supply and train could work something out as like you say its in their own best interest.
its a complicated issue isnt it ?

so, maybe a way around this would be that the product company you are working for, pays you direct? So we are still happy because we are paying for a kit which includes training, and you are getting your fee to train us. I think sometimes its the additional cost that we as customers feel our providers charge us. that can seem a bit much. Saying that, I am the type of person who would refuse to buy the, say, fridge of my dreams, that id spent months looking for, at £1000, if I had to pay a delivery fee, lol!
I took on a new skincare range last year, the opening order being approx £900. My two days training were free as they wouldnt let untrained therapists use the range. Now I dare say that the training fee is costed somewhere in my opening package, but i didnt feel like i was paying extra.

This is a really good thread:green:
And it is so true sometimes i cant quite work it all out it makes it so confusing for instance im looking at spray tanning at the moment. i always think the cheapest price is not going to offer enough the high end price is way out of my range but there is such a vary in price for companies that all seem to be offering me the same thing but for completely different prices!!

Im really sorry i cant remeber who was saying earlier in the thread about if it was too cheap everyone would be doing it but it would be a good idea for these companies to say any with a level 2/3 qualification or equivalent gets a discount on training

hope this makes sense i do waffle on lol
xxxx

As most of you know im doing my couses through out April all in all with the gel nails and waxing with all the equiptment its costing me - 985.00 but both courses i think are reasonable prices but what i dont agree with is the government not providing funding we are taking this training/eduction so we can have a good career and then pay taxes but we dont get any help at all and it really annoys me so much.

But if i come across compaines who charge too high for training i wont go through with it unless i know their product or training is really the best! Some beauty schools and colleges become so greedy but i dont get sucked in by it.

ooh dont get me started on the government providing funding, I am a single mother and before i got my parents to help me pay for my courses i asked for some help from the job centre for a little bit of help to get back into work, even if it was only in the form of childcare. the response i got was absolutly disgusting - beauty isnt something we would help with as alot of it is self employed so we wont help you. i said what even if it means i get a job and no longer on jsa and they said yes. so basically i had worked for 11 yrs paying taxes and has i had no childcare i had to go onto job seekers allowance/ income support. and this would have stayed the same way had i not been lucky enough to have my family to fall back on and they paid for my courses and im paying them back!! argghhh anyway, touched a nerve, lol. x

There are many different angles on this posting... which is a darn good one :hug:

There are of course many many companies that take advantage..not only in this industry but everywhere...that said there are many more good training providers where the training is in fact subsidised by the potential revenue income stream the brand anticipate by doing just that.

Shop around..do plenty of research and good value for money can be found :hug:

Remember a training provider..particularly a brand is passing on years of hard learned investment in time and money..they are a business also and need retained profits to plough back into the business to develop products/training further..the reality is that if they..just like you..don't make a profit they to go out of business and there's then no one to train you and therefore no future for anyone.

You are being trained and thought skills that enable you to establish your business and consequential means to make money..why should a training provider do this free of charge.

Ok so brand a offers free /cheap training..you go to them and say thank you very much and then go off and use brand B or buy the stuff cheaper on E bay :eek:

We find this on a daily/weekly basis where people come to us for training as it represents good value for money and is of a good standard...then go off and buy substandard equipment elsewhere......comes back to us downline wanting us to repair or replace (trade in ) the equipment that simply isnt suitable for their buisness :rolleyes:

:idea:The relationship that must co exist between training and trainee is a joint venture situation where both parties
1) need each other
2) need to make a profit from the relationship (trainer from you and you from your customers with the new skills learned)

Just a different perspective to look at things from :hug:

Collin I totally agree the companies need to make money but it's when you feel the price of the training has just been picked out of the air (I am sure your company doesn't do this and I have seen you be more than generous on a number of occasions) and added to this they are training in classes of 10+ people, then you start to think it's just not as valuable as they are making out! :lol:

I'm not looking for cheap when I look I'm looking for value for money from a business perspective. I want to start making some kind of profit within a reasonable time frame.

suppliers need us more than we need them as there is always some other company happy to take your cash! In return we stay loyal to suppliers when they play nicely!

Collin I totally agree the companies need to make money but it's when you feel the price of the training has just been picked out of the air (I am sure your company doesn't do this and I have seen you be more than generous on a number of occasions) and added to this they are training in classes of 10+ people, then you start to think it's just not as valuable as they are making out! :lol:

I'm not looking for cheap when I look I'm looking for value for money from a business perspective. I want to start making some kind of profit within a reasonable time frame.

suppliers need us more than we need them as there is always some other company happy to take your cash! In return we stay loyal to suppliers when they play nicely!

I couldn't agree more...its so important to fully research things before committing your hard earned cash :hug:

When you talk about value for money it is so true! Who cares if you can make back your costs in one treatment if the training is so bad that that one treatment costs you your reputation!

Do you not think also that value for money also depends how much you, yourself is going to put into the training day/s? I have been on far too many courses where people don't care - their boss has sent them, they are not interested - they are getting paid expenses and they are most excited about that, than the course!

Don't get me wrong I know its not a massive problem but I hate it when you pay for a course and there is someone who causes problems or doesn't care, it affects my training day!:irked:

You could have the best trainer in the world but if you don't put the effort in then you won't learn - I wonder how many training companies have suffered because of those people!

B x

I was just sitting there wondering something -

As there are many people who do train and then set up their own beauty school where they come out to you or you go to their salon and they also provide beauty treatments etc and they are in your area do you think they wont want to give you the best training possible as you would then be more compeition for them?

I do personally think and have come across those who are not bothered that much about the training that they are giving

There are many different angles on this posting... which is a darn good one :hug:

There are of course many many companies that take advantage..not only in this industry but everywhere...that said there are many more good training providers where the training is in fact subsidised by the potential revenue income stream the brand anticipate by doing just that.

Shop around..do plenty of research and good value for money can be found :hug:

Remember a training provider..particularly a brand is passing on years of hard learned investment in time and money..they are a business also and need retained profits to plough back into the business to develop products/training further..the reality is that if they..just like you..don't make a profit they to go out of business and there's then no one to train you and therefore no future for anyone.

You are being trained and thought skills that enable you to establish your business and consequential means to make money..why should a training provider do this free of charge.

Ok so brand a offers free /cheap training..you go to them and say thank you very much and then go off and use brand B or buy the stuff cheaper on E bay :eek:

We find this on a daily/weekly basis where people come to us for training as it represents good value for money and is of a good standard...then go off and buy substandard equipment elsewhere......comes back to us downline wanting us to repair or replace (trade in ) the equipment that simply isnt suitable for their buisness :rolleyes:

:idea:The relationship that must co exist between training and trainee is a joint venture situation where both parties
1) need each other
2) need to make a profit from the relationship (trainer from you and you from your customers with the new skills learned)

Just a different perspective to look at things from :hug:

For me personaly, I dont want free training if Im not paying a fair amount for the start up kit. That would be asking toooooooo much:green:
What I think is fair though, is that you purchase a start up package, (which lets face it in body/facial ranges can be hefty), and the training is included. I think that this has a huge benefit to all. The clients benefit because they have the assurance that the therapist has been trained in the products that she uses, (and is using them appropriately) the therapist benefits because she can carry out treatments with confidence, proffesionalism and kowledge/faith in the products she uses, and the provider benefits because with the confidence of the therapist, she will be selling retail to the customer as well as spreading the love about the chosen brand. Everyones a winner:lol:
What I do agree with is that additional training with the provider, which is optional, should prob be paid for, even if you are a stockist.

What I do agree with is that additional training with the provider, which is optional, should prob be paid for, even if you are a stockist.

Personally I disagree with this, just from my own situation. I am with a certain brand and we have free training whenever we want. It is even rewarded with a point system. It makes me excited to learn, I don't have to worry about my bank balance to have a refresh - and that helps me educate my clients.

I will happily send my employees on courses and it might cost me their wage for the day but I am not forking out for a course too.

JMHO

B x

Personally I disagree with this, just from my own situation. I am with a certain brand and we have free training whenever we want. It is even rewarded with a point system. It makes me excited to learn, I don't have to worry about my bank balance to have a refresh - and that helps me educate my clients.

I will happily send my employees on courses and it might cost me their wage for the day but I am not forking out for a course too.

JMHO

B x

Prob my rubbish explanation, lol, but I was thinking more along the lines of skill building/one to ones that sort of thing. I can see that I would have to pay for that xx.

Latest posts

Back