peeved!!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fluffy26

Reaction score
Hi geeks!!
I had to let off some steam yesterday by posting this thread but my computer crashed, so now it's the day after the event I feel a lot calmer but i had to tell you all anyway can you please tell me what you think! My neighbour who is about the same age as me, and i'm fairly friendly with her (as neighbours go, saying hello and the odd cup of tea) came in the other week with her partner to sort out some residential issues (we have had a bus stop plonked right outside our houses which we are campaigning to get moved - for those of you that are interested!) anyway the talk turned to her eyebrows which were a pretty bad shape, the sort that are plucked within an inch of their lives, leaving you with a permanantly surprised look, anyway I said it's not a problem, i'll tidy them and tint them now to give them a fuller look, then i said just leave them to grow for a weeks so i'll have more to play with next time i shape them, I should point out that I did the tint and shape for her and at no point did she ask how much it was or if she owed me anything, but i thought ok i'll let it go, and I did. Well I was cooking tea the other night and there was a knock on the door and it was neighbour, saying look I've grown my eyebrows what do you think? Can you do anything with, to be fair I did offer and said look if your unhappy with them, because they were quite untidy, I said i'll quickly do them now for you, her reply was "Oh if you don't min" (I'm way to soft I know!) Anyway the same thing happened again, there was no mention of payment it was just a "Thanks for then, oh and can i book a half leg wax?" Although she did ask me how much the leg wax was, anyway so she booked in yesterday morning and I have been stressing about this because i don't like being put in this situation. I said to my husband "oh i'll let it go" (Told you i was to soft) but he said why the hell should you if you went into a salon and had a treatment and went to walk out without paying they would say something and why should'nt you. I thought to bloody right so anyway yesterday morning came and i did the wax and wastidying away and heard here getting her money out so before i took anything from her I just said right thats £16.50 altogether for the wax tint and shape "Oh she said i've only got £8.oo" Thats ok i said you can pop it through my letter box later, i was'nt horrible i just simply stood my ground, and also if i had continued doing the odd treatment like that for her, people begin to take advantage, "just popping in" instaed of making an appointment. i'm gald i did waht i did yesterday because then it will make her think twice before just popping round. Also like i said to my husband it's up to me who i give discounts and freebies to and not to be dictated to and decided by somebody else!!!!!!!!!!!!! I THINK I HAVE MADE MY POINT!!! (Sorry for the long- winded-ness but you needed the background on this. has anybody else had a similar situation of people taking advantage?
I think i'm going mad from the lack of sleep, got up at 5.30 this morning for the NEXT sale, see told you I was mad!! Thanks for letting me bend your geeky ears!!!!
Fluffy x x x

well i think you did the right thing chick, like your hubby says, she wouldnt beable to get freebies from a salon would she....

good for you girl

I think you stood your ground very well, yes, you did the right thing so dont go stressing out over it...your there to give a service, you decide the price, the time etc.

I find my family can be like this, motherin law always asks for her nails doing but gives me the crap shes a pensioner ( she works full time, and by the clothes she wears you would think she was late 30's early 40's untill you saw her face) and she cant afford luxurys like this...(she has 4 holidays abroad a yr)
Any way i pretend to be death and take no notice and ive never done her nails yet lol If other family members pay (reduced price i might add) then why the hell shouldnt she!

Ok rant over! Yes you did the right thing hun, well done you for standing up and making your point :green:

I had a friend do this to me. I like you am very soft and when I did the course got a few friends to be my victims and did their nails every couple of weeks to get me some practice before I took on clients. I told them while i was learning no charge, but once I got better I would charge them mates rates, not full price. It was going well, I got quite confident and a lot better with my work and then all of a sudden she would rock up every two weeks with nearly all her nails off, for a full set, glitter tips one week, airbrushed tips next fortnight, different set of glitter tips the fortnight after. I started cottoning on to the fact she just wanted me to give her a great set for free. She was blaming it on the fact that she was getting so much lifting that they were just falling off, but none of the other girls were getting this problem. My husband went right off at me for being naive, she is using you. I told her one day that from now on I would start charging mates rates as I felt that my work was now good enough to do that. Well no surprise she has never come back for her nails to be done.
Some people will walk all over you without a second thought, once you stand up for yourself, which you have, they will get the idea and wont do it again.
xxxxxx:green:

I think you have done the right thing hun,
I also get annoyed at my family - if we wernt trained Beauticians/nail tech's they would have to go to a salon & PAY!!

Well done for standing up for yourself Becky hun:hug: .
People like this really pi** me off, they're so rude to assume you'll do it for free!
When i first strated doing nails my sister-in-law had her nails done for free for a couple of months. When i told her i'd now be charging her, she soon decided they weren't suitable because of her job!

XXX

Well done you for being professional. why do you think we find if difficult in these situations to put our business head on?

Thanks guys, I feel soooooo much better with all of your support, I don't know why it is that we find it so hard to put our business heads on sometimes, It is always extra hard with family and friends to know what to charge them if AT ALL!!!I also think being mobile and working from home people tend to think of it as a hobby, or just going round to a few friends houses havin a chat and painting their nails!!! Maybe if I had a premises people would take my business more seriously, like the professional I am and deserve to be treated like! Not to be walked over and taken advantage of!!:!: :!: :!:

* Bev,isn't it a shame that your sister- in- law found the nails were'nt suitable for her :rolleyes: !!!

I'm glad we have all stood our ground in situations like this, and kept our cool it shows that WE are the PROFESSIONAL no matter where we choose to do our work (Whether it be in the conservatory, spare room or mobile) People do not realise how much our products cost or what a skill and art it is to do what we do! Well done GEEKS we are the united front STAND UP AND BE COUNTED!!!!:)

Oh I think I could run for prime minister with that little speech! Oh no, maybe not I was actually telling the truth!!:lol: :lol:
:hug: to everyone!!

Latest posts

Back