People trying to bad mouth my salon

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leonnib

Reaction score
yesterday i went to my sandwich shop and we gave some leaflets.

teh lady that runs the sandiwch shop said that she has heard our sunbeds are rubbish and we dont do acrylic nails very good.

my stylist asked her what did the person look like. and she described no-one that has come to my salon but very similar to the girl who runs a sunbed and nails shop next door to them. :mad:

we dont even do nails at all!!!

only just started manicures and pedicures this week.

this has really upset me. i know it happens but i still cant belive it. and they way she told me was very rude i dont even wont to go back in the shop.

we have just started up so this is not good for us. as word of mouth has bought us quite few customers since we started and its quite a residential area where people know everyone.

i really want to go into the other shop and speak to the owner politely :eek: would this be a good idea.?

i havent even thought about bad-mouthing them.

Try not to worry. Hopefully this is a one-off.

Now what immediately springs to mind for me is that the sandwich bag is best mates with the sunbed owner AND think about this... if someone wanted to tell you someone else had been rubbishing you... let's say to make you aware of it... they would probably do so in a gentle and kind way so as to limit the hurt to your feelings. The fact that she has done it rudely would indicate to me it was not true.

Anyway, how can it be true when you don't do acrylic!?

Try not to dwell on it.

Poor you, that sucks, remember, and I wish all ppl did,
"believe half of what you see, and none of what you hear" unfortunately this kind of thing happens all the time, you have to act and not react, ie focus on how good you are what you do well etc, dont focus your energy on negative ppl, go back in the sandwich shop and boast how busy you are, smile, have a nice day blah blah, rise above it, you will be the better person. I know it hurts when ppl say such rubbish but you know that you are good etc, so keep smiling, stay focused, it will pass, honest . Fee x

What a cow the woman in the sandwich shop is to have told you in the first place.

People who are jealous or feel threatned by your business will bad mouth you. It's awful when it happens but you must stay strong and stay focused and as your business flourishes, theirs will die and fade away.

Try not to get into bitching about them to anyone other than close confidantes (we all need a bitch sometimes). Don't even think about having a moan to the woman in the sandwich shop LOL.

Make a rule for yourself that everytime you hear that something negative has been said about your biz, that you have to gain two more clients that week.

Stuff 'em.......stuff the lot of 'em! :hug:

How nasty can some people be eh. Don't let it get to you i know its hard as i'm going through a similar thing with my old neighbours who have made it their mision to ruin things before they have really started for me, just hold your head high, what i ahve gathred people that do that are doing it to take away the fact that they have sunbeds etc that are not upto scratch- a bit of competition and jelously does get the better of some people at times.
All the best.

Yes, it seems to be a very strange and spiteful outburst from the woman in the sandwich shop. Could it be that she has a connection with the local beauty industry, something like a friend or family working in the trade?

Anyhow, don't worry about it, there are some really nasty people out there and things like this happens to all of us.

jes

Its completely unnecessary but never the less happens ..the thing is to try not let it get to you...rise above it and do what you do.:hug:

Sounds odd but being bad mouthed can actually mean something positive in that the individual doing it must fear for you and your business.

As with anything in life try and look at the positive...move on and show them whose the best :hug:

Try not to worry if the salons next to the sandwich shop, the girls have probably become friendly with lady in the sandwich shop and when you became competition, while getting their sandwiches in conversation tryed to pull their competition down. Raise above them and show them they have strong competition:hug:..xx

I have 2 beauty salons near me & they are both doing it to me....clients come in & say they dont like going there as they are always bitching about me.....

Hope they keep bitching...its doing me the world of good....

Clients are coming in to see what im like, they like me, they like my work...hey presto re-book....a regular claimed.....

I always say to the client:

'Oh I dont know them & they dont know me, I think there's enough clients for everyone & clients will go to someone who does a great job & that they like'

I never get involved with the bitching, its brought me lots of new clients, they are doing me a favour lol

It could work to your advantage....clients are always curious x

people only bad mouth you when they see YOU as a threat to their business, most people see through this. Those that don't ~ do you really want them as clients?

I always take it as a compliment when people try it on, it has never had an impact on my bottom line, so just ignore it and you will suceed. These people obviously have far too much time on their hands to care enough about your business. If they were busy enough or successful enough themselves they simply would not have the time to do it!

Kate

i didnt know what to say at all. so didnt respond to her.
the way she told me threw me off and im normally not someone lost for words. and the shop was quite full so all her customers heard.
been thinking about it all day.

the salon is always busy very well known:irked:
ive been open less then 2 months and im still having days where no-one comes. so i didnt think they'd be threatened by me already.

i did want to go and speak to the sunbed shop as i dont want any problems from them. is it not possible for two businesses to just get on with it and not put the other down :rolleyes:

but now i thought about it i dont know what they are like (as i dont have a good opinion of them already) and it could make it worse.

i think the main thing that upset me was she said loudly in front of people. i know it aint a customer as we dont do nails. so obviously havent done nails on anyone for them to complain.

i have noticed the sunbed has been quiet for the last 2 weeks. :mad:
anyway im definetely not going to start saying things about them as thats not me at all. but now im wondering what else there saying or doing to damage me.

Last edited:
i forgot to mention that she reffered 2 people to us in the beginning and we gave her 3 minutes free which she used. there wasnt any problem at all
and i go everyday to get lunch

so its really weird as its like shes just done a complete u-turn.

im wondering if she has made some sort of deal with the people next door as it doesnt make sense.
also the two people she reffered who were coming two/three times a week havent come for the last 2 weeks.

You offer other things though over the sunbeds and in this case run some ads or get some promotions out on services or treatments she does not offer. This then gets people in your salon which is what you want.

I would also call all my clients and ask them if they would do a quick review for you (or get a friend to do it on your behalf) or simply give them a courtesy call to say that you have not seen them in a while and hope that they were happy with everything and if not offer them a freebie manicure or something.

You will be quieter on sunbeds at the minute as the weathers warm and the kids are off school which means mum has no spare time on her hands. Also its a busy time of year for holidays!!

How about running a mum and daughter promo. Mum gets a manicure and child gets a manicure etc. That way your showing your child friendly over the holidays, mum can come and be pampered and the child gets a treat too. Be sure to keep in plenty of lollipops!

Dont let these people get you down. You are only a new business but a threat non the less. You will attract your own clients that come because they like you, and you will eventually build a relationship up with these people too.

Dont let them ruin you, by making you feel down in the dumps! Keep your chin up and eventually they WILL get bored and be bitching about someone or something else next week!

Kate

Don't worry love, some people can only feel good about themselves if they are putting down someone else.

Your work will speak for itself and your clients will pass the recommendation on.

Don't say anything, water off a duck's back. If she brings it up again, just say pleasantly "oh they must be mistaking our salon for someone else's as we don't do acrylics, but thankyou for your concern".

Keep your chin up. You're still new and building up a business takes time. Advertise everywhere you can, except for papers as they don't seem to get a good response. Take your client's email addresses (free advertising) and remind them about you and how summer is perfect timing for your BRAND NEW pedicures. xxx

You should have replied "well i heard you use catfood in your tuna sandwiches" lol lol

Probs not a good idea, but she needs to be aware how easy it is to damage a business reputation.

I've had this happen to me, an ex-employee of one of my competition even told me the owners were once sitting around planning how they were going to "discredit" me!! Never did find out what they were going to do as they started to go down the pan soon after that!

I always think it's flattering that they think so much of me that they like to spend all their time thinking about me & my business & that they consider me such a threat! I would echo what others have said & ignore them as when you start slating other business it diminishes your own credibility. If anyone aks me about the other salons I just say I don't know anything about them as I'm too busy with my own salon. Becoming a big success is the best form of revenge!

There are some nasty, jealous, small mnded little sh*ts out there!
People are only nasty when they are jealous of you. How would she like it if you went into her shop and complained loudly that her sandwiches gave you the trots? Nice and loud so her other clients could hear? Well it wouldn't have occurred to you to do something that nasty would it? because your not jealous.
Stiff upper lip and keep dignified x

Hi, I see it like this.... you have sunbeds ....and she has sunbeds .... so when you got your sunbeds she has probably seen her backside which is quite natural .....

just imagine ......if she decided to open up a hairdressing bar or rent out a hairdressing chair right now..... how would you be feeling.... ?
she sees you as her your competition!.. although I agree the buttie woman was a bit mean and nasty
(and as zo zo said probably one of her mates)
So....
I would make sure your sunbeds are top notch with no old tubes ect...

you mention someone does acrylic nails around there ?

You are offering manicures ? so she may be thinking you are going to offer acrylic nails too ? ..... nothing wrong with that if you want to....
but.... she is probably just worrying about her own bread and butter... as you would too,

what has been said is all just hear say .... but I would keep a beady eye on the matter ,
I certainly wouldn't be going in to that buttie shop anymore... or be bothered about going into the sunbed shop either,

because whilst you are in business... the sunbed and nail shop will always view you as the rival business competition and will treat you as such...

You will always get people who back bite and get nasty about competition when you are in businesss ,
and most of us who have had a business will have experienced this or will do so at one time or another :) x minky

funnily enough there is a hair salon on the other side of the sandwich shop but its very expensive and your average person wouldnt go there so they dont really bother me especially at this time as most cant afford £80 plus for a haircut.

we dont do acrylic nails so i have no idea where she got that from.
im guessing her or the actual nail and sunbed shop probably just assumed we do.

i wont be going in there again for while mainly because now il just feel uncomortable and dont want to end up saying anything (sometimes things just slip out:eek: ) lol.

we've literally been offering it manicure and pedicures for two days and havnt advertised it yet in the area so i dont think they would even know that as yet.

so they must be just assuming what we may or may not do in our shop.

this has made me so much more determined to get my little salon off the ground. :mad:

no i wouldnt say anything about the sandwich shop however tempting it is...and its very tempting..

That buttie shop woman probably made herself look like a proper Biatch in front of everyone else , plus others can see right through jealousy and arn't that gullible , plus she did a good job of making herself look pretty arsey all by herself anways :green:
and as someone else said "people are naturally curious and they will want to come in and see and try your shop out for themselves "
so in a way I agree it's quite good for business :) x minky

Latest posts

Back