People trying to bad mouth my salon

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It never ceases to amaze me why people are so nasty! IF the other salon owner is bad mouthing you, it is only because she feels threatened by you:hug:
Sadly, I think its just people and some, and yep Im afraid its normaly women, just turn horrible. I would agree with our fellow geeks, dont get into a bitchy war of words, just rise above it and make your salon flourish! Thats the best revenge!

I'd get someone to go in, and sing your praises, see what they say.

Ive had something very similar happen to me not long ago. I had an advert on a website advertising my business and people are aloud to leave ratings.
Someone left a rating saying that my business was a sham, my spray tans are horrendous and that i had no tanning tent when i arrived to do their tan and it went all over their walls, and their tan was orange on the bottom of the feet.

I was fuming but then deleted it and thought its just pure jealousy they can see your doing well and they hate it!So that made me feel better.
Of course their comment wasnt true as i know i have a tent and take it everywhere i go when i provide mobile tans lol.

Chin up and ignore them hunni!
xx

It happens in all businesses ... even big businesses.

Just look even here on the nail geek forum how many try to score points off CND the most respected nail product supplier in the world. :green: It just makes one try harder and raise the game to do an even better job.

It is sometimes a curse in itself to be THE most successful at something ... everyone wants to take a pop and try to knock you down. Trust me, I KNOW.

A strong belief in yourself and a work ethic that is impeccable (honesty, integrity, professionalism at all times and good as well as hard work) will ensure your success. No doubt about it. :hug:

That is very true geeg! Success comes with bad points too, and indeed gossiping and bad mouthing is one of them.

I think the main thing to remember is that YOU know you do a good job. Its very hard to hear bad things about your business even when they are not true, I heard last week that apparently we dont do a very good job cutting long hair (we are not a hairdressers, we are a nail and beauty salon) so i had to laugh, the last time i cut hair, i was 8 years old and used the kitchen carving knife and it was my brothers fringe!.

Point is, there is always someone out there wanting to put others down. Geeg is right. Taking feedback from your clients is important, but this person is not offering feedback, so file it away as an unpleasant remark and make your butties at home !

tigixxxxxxxxx

You offer other things though over the sunbeds and in this case run some ads or get some promotions out on services or treatments she does not offer. This then gets people in your salon which is what you want.

I would also call all my clients and ask them if they would do a quick review for you (or get a friend to do it on your behalf) or simply give them a courtesy call to say that you have not seen them in a while and hope that they were happy with everything and if not offer them a freebie manicure or something.

You will be quieter on sunbeds at the minute as the weathers warm and the kids are off school which means mum has no spare time on her hands. Also its a busy time of year for holidays!!

How about running a mum and daughter promo. Mum gets a manicure and child gets a manicure etc. That way your showing your child friendly over the holidays, mum can come and be pampered and the child gets a treat too. Be sure to keep in plenty of lollipops!

Dont let these people get you down. You are only a new business but a threat non the less. You will attract your own clients that come because they like you, and you will eventually build a relationship up with these people too.

Dont let them ruin you, by making you feel down in the dumps! Keep your chin up and eventually they WILL get bored and be bitching about someone or something else next week!

Kate

just wanted to say your mother and daughter idea was great!

i posted it last night in only 2 places and got 8 bookings so far for mums and daughters

Well done you. Keep positive. Above all, maintain professionalism.

:mad: i cant believe my hubby is at shop to day hanging our banner up to say we are now doing beauty etc.
and some woman walked past and said oh your doing beauty too are you so doing sunbeds aint enough. then said did you could have done a better banner.. and laughed.

anyway hubby described her and is some woman that works in the stupid sunbed shop..

erghh.... it looks like it going to be a continuos problem.

i did my banner myself and like it ive tried to attach it so not sure if it will show.

so far not replied yet and wasnt there but i would have today tbh. but hubby is alot calmer then me.

ALSO someone sprayed the first half of their shop name on my shutters an hubby is trying to spray black over it to hide it but has gone through onto our windows.

i cant believe this im so mad and i cant prove anything..

:mad: i cant believe my hubby is at shop to day hanging our banner up to say we are now doing beauty etc.
and some woman walked past and said oh your doing beauty too are you so doing sunbeds aint enough. then said did you could have done a better banner.. and laughed.

anyway hubby described her and is some woman that works in the stupid sunbed shop..

erghh.... it looks like it going to be a continuos problem.

i did my banner myself and like it ive tried to attach it so not sure if it will show.

so far not replied yet and wasnt there but i would have today tbh. but hubby is alot calmer then me.

ALSO someone sprayed the first half of their shop name on my shutters an hubby is trying to spray black over it to hide it but has gone through onto our windows.

i cant believe this im so mad and i cant prove anything..

Jealousy is a terrible thing ................. just rise above it. I'd put a camera outside to record what's going on if the problems persist . It isn't very expensive to set up and even a fake camera would deter anyone I think.

Get it reported....even if the police cant do anything....report everything and start logging incidents ....write them down...

This may be going down the harrassment line....something to think about....

As above, securtity will help......

Keep up beat and carry on about your business as usual.....once the clients start hearing the bitching you will be suprised how many of them become your regulars......

All you say to clients is ' I dont know them', then change the subject....

Good luck and dont be intimidated, they obviously have a lot of time on their hands....that says it all xx

il have to keep a record im really surprised at all this.

ive already had one customer tell me on wednesday. that they were bitching when her and her daughter was there. when she asked them the price they said its x amount for a 13 year old trim but the salon down the road is our nearest salon and they really bad. (which is us).

but her friend recommended her for a pedicure as she was in the day before so she came in for one and didnt realize we were the salon they were talking until she came in.

but she gave us a recommendation on a social website which has got us two clients so far.

also did her daughter hair at our salon and loved it and booked herself for next week.

its really annoying and i just said i dont know any of them so cant comment. but you will have some people who will listen to gossip which is wha worries me.

im just going to carry on as i am and keep quiet. :)

what is that they say silence is golden..

but if i was there today i would have defintely have let my mouth do the talking so glad i wernt

Last edited:
Nope Nope lol Keep it all in ......let the clients decide .....its soooooo hard to do ....but so worth while in the long run xx

keep that diary of events though......get the community bobbie onside ......but keep it all quiet from your end HTH's xx

Clients arent stupid. they realise these dopey women are doing this because you are competition. You dont really need the ag when your trying to run a business tho.
Chin up, keep calm and carry on x

Hi Leonni,
i havent read through all the comments left but what i've seen seems right, as in it's jealousy! seems the girl in the sandwitch shop may be a bit jealous of you too for whatever reason.

I have heard of a bit of bitching about me in the area that i work in, now i dont even have a clue who the nail tech is or how she knows anything about me but i'm taking it as a compliment. Sometimes i have clients in and they'll badmouth another salon so i quickly change the subject and sometimes even nearly pick up for the person they badmouth. Which has resulted in some clients commenting on me not having a bad word to say about anyone (i do, but they dont know it haha)

I visited a supplier recently and the bad mouthing about their competition had me running back to my usual supplier as i concluded if they need to bitch their competition must be better.

keep your chin up hun it will soon pass

xx

Try not to let all the bitching get you down, though it is hard. Its pure jealously on their part.
You obvs have alot more going for yourself and clients than they do otherwise they wouldn't be bitching. They are worried!
Keep quiet, dont say anything bad about them. You'll see you will soon have clients running to you as clients dont want to go for hair/beauty treatments to listen to the workforce all bitching about another salon. Also the clients will want to see what/why they are bitching and come to you out of interest, you can then show clients how much better you are and the clients will stay.
Silence is golden, remember that.
Log everything down that happens, dates, times etc. Report incidents as they happen so they are all logged at the police station.
BnQ do cheapish video camaras you can set up or look for a firm who specialize which will be expensive.

Keep your chin up, you can do it. Just think you have the upper hand by the way they are all reacting to you.
Take Care

Latest posts

Back