Permanent Makeup OMG !!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nailsareus

Reaction score
Hello,

Today is a very sad day… Whilst having a random inspection from the local environmental office, something was brought to my attention.

She sat down and had a cup of tea with us and directed me to something on her laptop, she said that it does not matter if I see it as its publicly viewable.

I could not believe my eyes, its one of the most dreadful things I have ever seen.

Someone is carrying out mobile permanent makeup, IN YOUR OWN HOME! this is just so wrong and is such a disgrace to the industry. For anyone who does not know, it is a form of skin piercing, the skin is broken, and of course we have to be aware of bloodborne pathogens (Bloodborne pathogens are microorganisms in the blood or other body fluids that can cause illness and disease in people) as most of you will know. I am not a permanent makeup artist but we do offer this in our salon, the room where it is carried out is like an operating theatre, we have flooring in there that goes 6” up the wall and is totally washable, of course the room is used for other things but we really keep this room super clean, we have a really top lady come in, she comes on here ( Heidi Worman) and I have watched, she cleans the place down, and when she goes its cleaner than before she started!

This is the first time I have ever come across anything like that is such a prestigious industry.

The lady from the council who comes to me can only report her to another council as they are not in her remit, she has said that no matter what people think, and what there insurance says.. this is not correct for ANY UK bylaws.

I really think people who try to shame the beauty industry should be taken to book, for what they are doing..

its all so wrong

Debs

xx

Hi Deb. A license isn't needed to carry out SPMU in someone's home, although it is if it's carried out in a salon which is very odd indeed. Most of us therapists are just like Heidi; we work to very strict standards of cleanliness. I was trained by Finishing Touches who teach aspectic techniques.xxx

Finishing Touches did they recommend that
you do home visits?

I think not.

I know what my council says, and it is a big no.

this is a very sad case, and something that we have never seen before.

If you agree to braking the skin in people houses, this is your choice. I would not like your reputation, this is only if you agree.

If like all the proper makeup artist you standards are high, this would not be the case.

people need to study Bloodborne pathogens a little harder, they would really understand why the home is 100% no no, I was on a needlestick course last week.

this is very sad

Debs

Finishing Touches did they recommend that
you do home visits?

I think not.

I know what my council says, and it is a big no.

this is a very sad case, and something that we have never seen before.

If you agree to braking the skin in people houses, this is your choice. I would not like your reputation, this is only if you agree.

If like all the proper makeup artist you standards are high, this would not be the case.

people need to study Bloodborne pathogens a little harder, they would really understand why the home is 100% no no, I was on a needlestick course last week.

this is very sad

Debs
I think you're a bit confused. It's not up to the company that trained you, it's all to do with the local council. Finishing Touches have the highest standards.

I understand your passion, especially as you've seen Heidi's high standards.........which is exactly the way that most of us work. That's why we all paid so much money to train in such a great art.

Can I just say though that I've been to seminars of ALL of the top trainers and what some of them preach and what some of them practise are two different things. I was at a seminar last year of a very famous trainer (no names) and she spent half the day on stage doing permanent make up barefoot. She doesn't really bother with anaesthetic (her words) and take it from me, the conditions that she was working in were far from hygienic...........don't believe all the hype ! xxx

Are the same dangers not present at beauty shows where the passing human traffic is much higher. I'm always seeing demos being carried out there.

I don't do this treatment but am not that shocked, if the actual equipment is clean what can float in from the air?

Think about hospital superbugs- I would rather have surgery or give birth in my own home!

Last edited:
Are the same dangers not present at beauty shows where the passing human traffic is much higher. I'm always seeing demos being carried out there.

I don't do this treatment but am not that shocked, if the actual equipment is clean what can float in from the air?

Think about hospital superbugs- I would rather have surgery or give birth in my own home!
very good point ( my mum had MRSA twice from merely being in the hospital).. i far as i was aware YES it is carried out in peoples homes - im not aware of the health and safety procedures behind it but what about clients with alopecia or cancer patients who want their nipple tattooed who would rather have it done at home? i know of at least 2 girls who make home visits..

very good point ( my mum had MRSA twice from merely being in the hospital).. i far as i was aware YES it is carried out in peoples homes - im not aware of the health and safety procedures behind it but what about clients with alopecia or cancer patients who want their nipple tattooed who would rather have it done at home? i know of at least 2 girls who make home visits..

sorry ,but are you saying that people go to there houses to tattoo people?????????...that is NOT allowed...tell them to contact there local environmental heath people....you need a licence to tattoo ...and when the council give you a licence...that's for you and your premises ...how can they guarantee that the area they are tattooing in is sterile.????????...if people have got cancer,surley there IMMUNITY is low...and would rather be tattooed in a licenced and sterile environment.....they must stop...if they are....tattooing in peoples home...its NOT NOT not allowed.we paid thousands to get my hubby studio up and its licenced,and he uses the most up to date sterilising techniques ....its not fair or right ...that people THINK they can do it from home....they can do more harm than good.

sorry ,but are you saying that people go to there houses to tattoo people?????????...that is NOT allowed...tell them to contact there local environmental heath people....you need a licence to tattoo ...and when the council give you a licence...that's for you and your premises ...how can they guarantee that the area they are tattooing in is sterile.????????...if people have got cancer,surley there IMMUNITY is low...and would rather be tattooed in a licenced and sterile environment.....they must stop...if they are....tattooing in peoples home...its NOT NOT not allowed.we paid thousands to get my hubby studio up and its licenced,and he uses the most up to date sterilising techniques ....its not fair or right ...that people THINK they can do it from home....they can do more harm than good.

yes you are correct, in the home is not right. full stop.... Bloodborne pathogens cats.... dogs... and other pets.... have we though of this? close proximity of food? have we also thought of that. This really does make me question some people skills, and more so there standards.

I will ask you BQ do YOU do this mobile

Deb

x

Your right about certain things here. But we can give birth to a baby in our own homes and people be treated with needles by nurses but permanent make-up in the house is a no-no???...hmmm.

Why is it so wrong to have it carried out in your home if the opertator is working to the higest standards? Im sure a very clean procedure can be carried out in a home - its common sense. Although imo I think it should be carried out in a specially set up room -(purely because I think you would have your seating position and lighting just right) but the hygiene apect wouldnt be a real problem.

Your right about certain things here. But we can give birth to a baby in our own homes and people be treated with needles by nurses but permanent make-up in the house is a no-no???...hmmm.

Why is it so wrong to have it carried out in your home if the opertator is working to the higest standards? Im sure a very clean procedure can be carried out in a home - its common sense. Although imo I think it should be carried out in a specially set up room -(purely because I think you would have your seating position and lighting just right) but the hygiene apect wouldnt be a real problem.

Good point you raised about the midwife....
but the council has decided that not everyone can use a needle at home...

tattooist need a place...not only for light and seating....but to stop....everyone from thinking they can do it as well

when midwifes use needles...they are wrapped so they have been sterilized.....same as tattooist.....

Tattoo studios HAVE to have....tiled flooring...up to date autoclaves....tiled walls...spore test to make sure sterilizers are clean .....sharps container....pay to get rid of waste......and they can inspect it whenever they like...if its not clean..they close you down.

If we let people tattoo in homes your going to have needles EVERYWHERE.

If we let people tattoo in homes your going to have needles EVERYWHERE.

So what about diabetics using needles when out and about? No one would be careless enough to leave them lying around! :eek:

No one would be reusing anything! :hug: And safe disposal is paramount :)

I've managed to dig out this old email from the council regarding a Special Treatment License.

Thank you for your enquiry which has been passed to me by our call centre.

A license is not required to work in this borough if you are mobile and visiting people in their homes.

I don't do home visits myself but I don't see a problem with it. With respect, I always say that the dirtiest thing in the room is the client. You can clean door frames and everything in the room as much as you like, but as soon as you touch the clients face, you're unsterile.

Don't forget that nowadays, we have disposable needles so there really isn't any danger. There's just as much chance of becoming infected from using a dirty nail tool.

You really do have to know the subject before you reply, Mobile is 100% no no in the home.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1982
If an LA has previously adopted the Local Government Miscellaneous Provisions Act (1982), this allows it to make bylaws on tattooing. The person(s) carrying on the business and the premises are required to register with the LA that enforces the provisions of the byelaws. These cover the cleanliness of the premises, fittings, equipment and persons carrying on the business. These businesses are inspected to ensure that they comply with the bylaws.

The 1981 Act provides that no person may carry out tattooing or cosmetic piercing in their area unless he and any business premises are registered. The Council may make byelaws for the purpose of securing the cleanliness of premises, instruments, equipment and persons. Books, cards or forms must also be kept by persons registered under this section, recording their activities in connection with the practice of business in respect of which they are so registered and that appropriate entries are made in such books, cards or forms. In some cases certain treatments are expressly forbidden under the licensing under this Act.

Skin piercing inspection checklist:
  • Registration
  • Records available
  • Consent forms
  • COSHH Assessments
  • Aftercare guidance
  • Training of operators
  • First aid training
  • Operator hepatitis B immunisation
  • Public liability insurance
  • Hygiene
  • Designated wash hand basin for operators only
  • Liquid dispense soap
  • Paper towels
  • Procedures for cleaning work surfaces
  • Procedures for cleansing client’s skin
  • Personal Protective Equipment
  • Disposable nitryl/vinyl gloves with Microbiological Hazard Group 2 CE marking (latex gloves should be avoided as they are associated with latex allergy)
  • Disposable plastic apron
  • Disposable paper sheets for treatment couch
  • No smoking sign
  • Needles
  • Pre-sterilized disposable needles
  • Sharp box
  • Sharps box disposal
  • Clinical waste disposal
  • Blood (body fluids) spill kit
  • Equipment
  • Work surface

must i go on, really. the law is the law.

Havering London Borough Council, you say that you dont need a licence for mobile.... this is very far from the truth, maybe you are talking about waxing..... not micropigmentation, the sooner the industry is cleaned up the better for everyone.

Debs

Last edited:
Sorry Debs but can you show me the bit where it mentions working from peoples houses as I can't see it?

We all know all that about business premises as that's drummed into us when we train. Regardless of what our views are on working from people's houses, as you say, the law is the law, and at present, the law only specifies business premises and NOT working from people's homes...........as the email from the LA states.

Debs, I've just seen your edit commenting on Havering. I never said it from Havering first off so what made you say that?

I admire your passion but a little bit of respect and less attitude wouldn't go amiss when we're all trying to have an adult discussion and we're on here to help each other.

What borough is your salon in by the way?

mine is Rochford.

quote:The person(s) carrying on the business and the premises are required to register with the LA.

in a word the PREMISES have to be registered.... do you think you could do this in every house you go to?

I think not

debs

mine is Rochford.

quote:The person(s) carrying on the business and the premises are required to register with the LA.

in a word the PREMISES have to be registered.... do you think you could do this in every house you go to?

I think not

debs
You really are missing the point here. There is a loophole in the law that states that SPMU can be carried out in residential properties WITHOUT the need of a special treatments license. Right or wrong, that is the law. Probably the same law that allows Botox parties in peoples homes.

Did you also know that legally a SMPU technician has to make sure that every salon that they work from has a Special Treatments License to cove SPMU?

Did you also know that legally a SMPU technician has to make sure that every salon that they work from has a Special Treatments License to cove SPMU?

of course I know this....................................................what did I just type????????????????????????????? are you not reading what I type Kim...the premises are required to register with the LA. every yes every.

and you are so wrong about the loophole again, loophole wrong again.....

I know I called today, and this was stated in the 2007 act.

keep going I say, keep using the loophole... why not go for it?

I hope people know who have the good reputations!

Debs

Latest posts

Back