**PLEASE ALL READ** Letter received to con £95 re Data Collection

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fab Freak

Reaction score
Warning….please read.

Some fraudsters out there are praying on new business to be ignorant to the rules of data protection.

I received in the post today a very official looking form that started in bold big letters and here is some of the content from the top.:

DATA COLLECTION SERVICES
(ENFORCEMENT SECTION)
NOTICE: NEW BUSINESS
Notification under the data protection act 1998

Our records show you have not yet submitted Notification to the Information Commissioner in accordance with thr Data Protection Act 1998. This act repalaces the data Protection Act 1984.

Failure to register is a criminal office: on conviction an offender is liable to a maximum fine not exceeding the level vive of the criminal justice scale. At present this level is not greater than £5000

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Basically they are asking you to send them £95 made payable to D.C.S to commence registration immediately

Of course there is no contact number or name or covering letter with this form, but for one tiny minute it made me panic (thankfully) I woke up from my daydream and realised it was a hoax.

I like to think of my self as an intelligent woman but for a fraction of a second this form had me panicking, and I used to work in marketing so I should know better!

So please becareful if you receive any such letter or form pertaining to be an official agency needing a fee for the fact you have date on person – ignore it as it is bogus.

If you do have any doubts then contact the Direct Marketing Association and they will confirm that its 99.9% likely to be a fraudulent document.

I hope this helps and ensure that no-one ever sends out £95 of your hard earned cash to these criminals.

PS I will be taking mine to the Police for the fraud dept to see if they will do something about this...

Yes I looked into this - I cannot believe the police haven't dealt with this already. I contacted a couple of the businesses there (one being a lap-dancing club!). What is happening is that the address is actually a large block of numerous businesses and apparently, where the postman doesn't know which specific address DCS (because they have no assigned unit within the building), he is simply leaving it by the staircase - if it wasn't so far away, I would stake out the building and catch the so and so red-handed - but you'd think the authorities would have already done this, wouldn't you!

Yes i started a thread about this and so have some others in the past ...but more the merrier to keep us all informed.... perhaps is would be a good idea to see if GMG could make it sticky??

I really hope no fellow geeks have been 'stung' by this scam.

The warning sign to me was as you spotted - no contact number - i informed mersyside police because this is where my particluar letter came from.

I THINK it may be something to do with subscription to yp.

AMB x

hiya

thanks for the warning i have recently started my business and have just organised a yp advert. i'll look out for these letters

Hi!

I had a form like this a few months ago,:twisted:i wasn't to shore about it (so gave it to my dad to read).Not haered anything more from my dad so will let him now.
Thanks for telling us!
Fab Freak said:
Warning….please read.

Some fraudsters out there are praying on new business to be ignorant to the rules of data protection.

I received in the post today a very official looking form that started in bold big letters and here is some of the content from the top.:

DATA COLLECTION SERVICES
(ENFORCEMENT SECTION)

Our records show you have not yet submitted Notification to the Information Commissioner in accordance with thr Data Protection Act 1998. This act repalaces the data Protection Act 1984.

Failure to register is a criminal office: on conviction an offender is liable to a maximum fine not exceeding the level vive of the criminal justice scale. At present this level is not greater than £5000

Basically they are asking you to send them £95 made payable to D.C.S to commence registration immediately

Of course there is no contact number or name or covering letter with this form, but for one tiny minute it made me panic (thankfully) I woke up from my daydream and realised it was a hoax.

I like to think of my self as an intelligent woman but for a fraction of a second this form had me panicking, and I used to work in marketing so I should know better!

So please becareful if you receive any such letter or form pertaining to be an official agency needing a fee for the fact you have date on person – ignore it as it is bogus.

If you do have any doubts then contact the Direct Marketing Association and they will confirm that its 99.9% likely to be a fraudulent document.

I hope this helps and ensure that no-one ever sends out £95 of your hard earned cash to these criminals.

PS I will be taking mine to the Police for the fraud dept to see if they will do something about this...

I hope something can be done to stop these evil fraudsters, and very soon too.

You would think that the post office, with the police, could 'red flag' that address, so any cheques were intercepted and returned to sender...
Some people will stoop so low for money.

I had one of these a few months back, it is scarey as it does look so real. I put it straight into the bin. But it was in my local paper, someone had gone to the police and citezens advice bureau and got it published in the local rag to warn others. Maybe some of you can do the same to prevent others falling for these fraudsters.

this scam seems to be coming round as often as bank holidays................
Read this : that should put every body's mind at rest lol..............

http://www.stopecg.org/dataprotection.htm

For any body getting this scam letter, take it to the police and file a complaint..........

i received one of these letters today so i guess they are doing the rounds again. i think i might send it back with rude comments and no stamp

i got one today too, i was going to send it back with a chq signed by micky mouse dated april 1st made out to "do you think its april fools already." but decided i couldnt be bothered with the stamp so i binned it.

xxx

NailStyle said:
i got one today too, i was going to send it back with a chq signed by micky mouse dated april 1st made out to "do you think its april fools already." but decided i couldnt be bothered with the stamp so i binned it.

xxx

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I like it!!! We share the same sense of humour !!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

NailStyle said:

xxx

Angie if you post it without a stamp it costs them :( lol lol - but dont send a cheque just incase... :Love: Fab

Fab Freak said:
Warning….please read.

DATA COLLECTION SERVICES
(ENFORCEMENT SECTION)

Thanks for the warning - one to watch out for - I really am at a loss to understand how they can get away with it fo any length of time! :mad: You'd think, as Hollyballoo suggests, the police would just watch the delivery address and arrest the collector of the mail!!!!!

hi
i received one of these demands in the post today, and knew what it was straight away cause i had read about it on this site. It went straight in the bin! Thanks for the warning, i could ave been caught out big time.

Yes it's a con but it's not illegal. Technically it's a loop hole. I was conntacted in the same manner but thought £95 seemed a bit much. I wonder if it's the same company. All salons should register. I gave each member of staff a memo and they had to sign that they have received, read and understood it. You can get in touch direct and the fee if I remember right is about £15.00. Within the document I had drawn up it expresevily forbids any employee to use any data within the salon in any shape or form for their personal gain thus making it difficult for them to leave the Salon and activily try and take your clients. So go on protect yourself and your client's.

Need help! get back to me!

N2D4

HiYa, Yes the letter does panic you. I got in touch and asked wether I had to register and was told it was best to. If you fill out record cards then your clients need to be covered by the data protection act. However it's a good thing all around. It cost approx £15.00.This company is bascially doing it for you charging £95.00 using scare tactics. They have a scale of charges and as tech's we are near the bottom because by and large the scale is on how personal the details are. Names and addrsses are avaiable on the electriol register so this in itself you do not have to register. I know a couple of salons who take card details when a client makes a phone appointment and if the client does not show up for the appointment makes a charge. This salon needs to be covered.

If you want any details on who to connact drop me a line. I can also let you have a copy of the memo I sent out to my staff who signed and dated and said they had received and understood it's contents. great you - you can't use or take your clients details when they have signed and agreed that are not allowed to use any details on the record cards etc for fininal gain in any shape or form!!!!!!!!!

Very cloud has a silver lineling

:D :D

Hi

Received exact same letter yesterday.. Wasnt sure what to do about it, seemed strange no contact telephone number. Glad i read your thread.. Thank you

i too have had a similar "scare the pants off you" letter, thing that made me wonder was there was no contact number and the letter wasnt even signed!!! i spoke directly to the local trading standards office, they were very helpful and even put me in contact with the PROPER data people, who then sent me all the info i needed.

Zoe x

Latest posts

Back