Please can someone help. Hair loss disaster!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to this forum so not really sure if I'm doing this right but I'm desperate at the moment so here goes.
I'm 28 years old and have always had quite thick healthy hair. Last January I started noticing hair loss but my hair had been thinking for a while before that. It got to the point I no longer recognised my own hair. It was flat, so thin that you could see scalp and the ends were limp and fly away. I went to see my gp in February last year who sent me for blood tests to rule out iron deficiency, thyroid problems ect. It came back that my ferritin was low and I was prescribed ferrous sulphate 200mg x3 daily and I don't know whether it was because that was the issue or maybe I felt less stressed, thinking I knew the cause of it but slowly, my hair grew back and had some sort of life to it. I was taken off the tablets in October and since have been experiencing the same hair loss. Only this time it's much much worse :( I have balding spots on my temples, a receding hairline, and round my ears and front it's so thin you can see scalp :( I've been back to the doctors, who have since sent me for another blood test that came back normal so no further action was taken. I told the doctor how upsetting it was for me and she just said to try relax as stress may make it worse :/ she said they 'don't really know' what causes hair loss and sent me packing. I'm devastated. I daren't wear my halo extensions in case the rubbing on my scalp is causing the hair loss, I've tried just about every multivitamin going, I've stopped dying my hair thinking it could be caused by the dye, I'm currently using nizoral shampoo just incase I have some sort of scalp infection. I'm literally at my wits end :( if anyone's ever experienced anything like this I'd love to hear what helped as I feel I'm getting nowhere with my doctors xxx

Hi, I'm new to this forum so not really sure if I'm doing this right but I'm desperate at the moment so here goes.
I'm 28 years old and have always had quite thick healthy hair. Last January I started noticing hair loss but my hair had been thinking for a while before that. It got to the point I no longer recognised my own hair. It was flat, so thin that you could see scalp and the ends were limp and fly away. I went to see my gp in February last year who sent me for blood tests to rule out iron deficiency, thyroid problems ect. It came back that my ferritin was low and I was prescribed ferrous sulphate 200mg x3 daily and I don't know whether it was because that was the issue or maybe I felt less stressed, thinking I knew the cause of it but slowly, my hair grew back and had some sort of life to it. I was taken off the tablets in October and since have been experiencing the same hair loss. Only this time it's much much worse :( I have balding spots on my temples, a receding hairline, and round my ears and front it's so thin you can see scalp :( I've been back to the doctors, who have since sent me for another blood test that came back normal so no further action was taken. I told the doctor how upsetting it was for me and she just said to try relax as stress may make it worse :/ she said they 'don't really know' what causes hair loss and sent me packing. I'm devastated. I daren't wear my halo extensions in case the rubbing on my scalp is causing the hair loss, I've tried just about every multivitamin going, I've stopped dying my hair thinking it could be caused by the dye, I'm currently using nizoral shampoo just incase I have some sort of scalp infection. I'm literally at my wits end :( if anyone's ever experienced anything like this I'd love to hear what helped as I feel I'm getting nowhere with my doctors xxx

I'm not sure if GP's can refer you to a trichologist due to NHS funding might be worth asking? Otherwise have a Google search and pay to see a trichologist x

I'm not sure if GP's can refer you to a trichologist due to NHS funding might be worth asking? Otherwise have a Google search and pay to see a trichologist x
Thank you

Thank you for replying :) I've sort of hinted at my gp for that but I'm guessing they don't really want to as it may be pricey. I'd love to see a private trichologist but I'm a single working parent and can't really afford it. I'll upload some pictures x

image.jpg
Thank you

Thank you for replying :) I've sort of hinted at my gp for that but I'm guessing they don't really want to as it may be pricey. I'd love to see a private trichologist but I'm a single working parent and can't really afford it. I'll upload some pictures x
image.jpg

Take a look at on you tube by Joico. I've seen some amazing results from it. X

Take a look at on you tube by Joico. I've seen some amazing results from it. X

Thank you both for taking the time to comment. I'll have a look at the video now thanks :) x

Have you tried any lotions with Minoxidil? This was prescribed to my daughter for her hair loss. Why did they stop the medication that you were on? Did they offer any reason?

Have you tried any lotions with Minoxidil? This was prescribed to my daughter for her hair loss. Why did they stop the medication that you were on? Did they offer any reason?

Hi che-la
No I've not tried of monoxil as of yet. I have read up on it though and it does seem promising, I'm just wanting to get to the root cause more than anything (no pun intended ha). For the past year the doctors haven't taken it seriously and I've been made to feel like I've been imagining it, I think if I could just get a diagnosis or a 'yes that's what it is' then I could look at what options I have to try safety hide the thinning (without aggravating it). I'm a little bit sceptical about these miracle cures online because

Hi che-la
No I've not tried of monoxil as of yet. I have read up on it though and it does seem promising, I'm just wanting to get to the root cause more than anything (no pun intended ha). For the past year the doctors haven't taken it seriously and I've been made to feel like I've been imagining it, I think if I could just get a diagnosis or a 'yes that's what it is' then I could look at what options I have to try safety hide the thinning (without aggravating it). I'm a little bit sceptical about these miracle cures online because
They all seem to promise the world x

and in regards to medication they said I no longer needed it as my ferritin levels were 'normal'. I just find it strange how the problems started again once I'd discontinued the iron tablets x

Might be worth noting aswell that I am on anti depressant medication but I've been on it four years and only suffered hair loss around the last 2 x

Hi che-la
Yes, I understand that. Minoxidil works as long as you use it. My daughter has been losing her hair for the last ten years, she has female pattern baldness. So for her there is no cure. Actually, she has just shaved her head and is wearing a wig.
It might take a while to get to the cause of yours, but don't be fobbed off. Its very distressing xx

Thank you che-la it's nice to have some one understand :) I've been almost made to feel vain by being so concerned about it. Hope you don't mind me asking but did your daughters hair start off like mine? X

Thank you che-la it's nice to have some one understand :) I've been almost made to feel vain by being so concerned about it. Hope you don't mind me asking but did your daughters hair start off like mine? X
Aw, you're welcome. No, my daughters hair started thinning on the top by her parting. She has a ring on her crown that has very little hair, like a typical gents bald patch. I wish she had taken more care of the little hair that she had left, but she was always colouring or bleaching it. Not that it has made any difference. She has been told to apply the minoxidil twice a day and she will be assessed over the next 12 months. I don't think she can have a transplant. You could try the lotion to see if it makes a difference, I think it's sold under the name Regraine in the UK. Definitely keep taking photos and see if you can be referred to a tricologist. (sp?) It's not something that you should ignore and like I said, its quite distressing. xx

Bless her, I have total sympathy for your daughter. I'm nearing 30 but couldn't imagine going through it in my teens! Yeah I think they sell rograine in boots for around 40-50 pounds so that might definitely be an option . I'm seeing my gp again Thursday and I'm going to say I want some answers and a possible referral. I don't know if this is relevant but over the years I've used a lot of dry shampoo. Almost on a daily basis. It seems to hide the thinning well but maybe it's suffocating my scalp? Ahh guess I won't know until I'm being properly seen x

Bless her, I have total sympathy for your daughter. I'm nearing 30 but couldn't imagine going through it in my teens! Yeah I think they sell rograine in boots for around 40-50 pounds so that might definitely be an option . I'm seeing my gp again Thursday and I'm going to say I want some answers and a possible referral. I don't know if this is relevant but over the years I've used a lot of dry shampoo. Almost on a daily basis. It seems to hide the thinning well but maybe it's suffocating my scalp? Ahh guess I won't know until I'm being properly seen x
I'd ditch the dry shampoo if you can. There are also fibres that you can buy that covers the thinned area, which my daughter also used, but they are not without their challenges. My daughter actually looks quite good with her shaved head, I don't think she'll stick with the wig all the time. luckily, she is a confident person, so she copes well with this. Good luck at the Dr. xx

Yeah definitely. Been doing some research on dry shampoo and came across a lot of forums with quite a lot of people saying it has caused their hair to thin. Funnily enough, my hairs thin where I use it. So going to stay clear of that from now on :) aww your daughter sounds amazing! Well done her for coping so well, especially at such a young age! ☺️ And thank you in regards to wishing me well at the Drs! I'm going to be a bit pushy this time and not leave until I have some explanation xx

Hi there

If your ferritin levels came back normal, they may be 'normal' but for optimum hair growth you may need a little more. Your hair follicle is last priority in your body so if there isn't enough of something the follicle will suffer, everywhere else gets oxygen and nutrients first. An iron supplement containing lysine is the best, this helps the body absorb the iron better.

Minoxidil may help you, it has its contraindications if you have blood pressure problems. 2% foam or lotion is usually advised first and is very effective.

I would push your doctor to be referred to a trichologist tomorrow. Let us know how you get on.

Latest posts

Back