Please help - what on earth is this?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello! I made an account specifically to write on here.
I have the same problem, except I've had this issue for almost 8 months now.
I use hair gel every day and can't shake the specks.
Was there ever a solution to your issue?

If you do a search for a nioxin salon ask for a scalp microdermabrasion treatment. You can have one of them every 6 weeks if you need it but if you are losing hair invest in a nioxin trial kit too. They are about £30 but also come with a 30 day money back guarantee. If you have the microdermabrasion and follow it with the nioxin take home treatments I’m sure it will help wether it is scalp or product. Try using an oil on your hair after washing to help smooth it down too, good luck!!!!!

Hi hair geeks, I've nipped over from nails to see if any of you clever old hair geeks can possibly help me. Basically, for the last 2 weeks, every single time after I've washed my hair I'm ending up with tiny, sticky white flakes in my hair on the top of my head and it's driving me nuts coz I don't know what's going on:cry:. I can only liken it to looking similar to when you've accidentally left a tissue in the washing machine and you have all those tiny bits stuck to the clothes!. I thought it might be caused by one of the styling products I was using(macadamia oil, osmo thickening blow dry cream and Tesco panthenol hairspray), SO I left out each product one by one to eliminate them but my hair was still flaky (it's nothing like dandruff though). I also changed my shampoo and conditioner but it made no difference at all. Tonight I gave it 2 thorough washes with Tresemme clarifying shampoo and conditioner and blow me, when I took the towel off my head the specks/flakes were there again!!!!. What the bliiming heck can this be? I do have coloured hair that was last coloured (tinted) about 6weeks ago so could it be the colour flaking off or something???. Please, please can you give me some advice as to what it might be and how to get rid of it coz it's driving me nuts as I'm having to wear my hair with the crown pulled up to try and hide it as the flakes are all in the crown/fringe/scalp area and not on the lengths at all.
Crossing my fingers you'll help me and sorry for the long post
Big hugs and thankyou :hug: xxxxxxxxxxxx
Treseme shampoos always give me weird “lice looking” white specks in my hair and they are so hard to get out. Soon as I use a different shampoo, they are gone!
You might need to steer clear of that brand of shampoo, too. If you’ve found a shampoo that works for you, I’d love to try it out! ☺️

Thankyou sooooo much ladies. I'v already stopped using hairspray for the last few days but yesterday bought Ellnett as an alternative as I thought that would brush out easier but should I ban this too????. I used the Tresemme Clarifying shampoo and conditioner last night and left the conditioner on for 5 mins but am gonna give it a good scrub again tonight. Would product build up also cause my hair to go frizzy and dull and shed more than usual?? And the specks always seem to be in exactly the same place which is weird???.....Which Clarifying shampoo and conditioner do you reccommend I use?????
Thankyou for your help. Blimey, it's amazing how much we stress over our hair isn't it!! xxxxxxx
Sorry this has happened to you but reading your comments it sounds the same as what's happening to my hair. It is hairspray causing it. The white colour appears on the thinner parts of your hair. It looks similar to paint on your hair after decorating and can be quite noticeable. You describe your hair loss and frizziness, this could be thyroid probs or a lack of vitamins and protein in your diet. It could also be caused by anaemia. A blood test by your GP will rule this out. You could try hair mousse. There are some good spray on hair colourants around, they may cover the colour if nothing else helps.
Good luck.

Sorry you have this. Agree with the other replies. It's likely either build-up of product, and the product itself flaking, product stopping your skin function and causing the natural desquamation of your scalp to stick there and build up or irritated scalp caused by products not suiting your skin type. Tresemme in my opinion and all hairdressers that I have ever worked with is not a great product to say the least and Ellnet hairspray is horrid and leaves flake like particles on your hair and will flake all over the place.

Go for a salon brand, Redken, Phyto are both great. Phyto has some good shampoos if you have irritation. If you are using these products they won't lather like a cheap shop bought product so will feel a lot different to use but you will get clean hair. It may take a few washes for everything to settle down.

Latest posts

Back