Plucking, waxing, tweezing what's the difference?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

florence2004

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what the difference is between plucking, waxing and tweezing in terms of what effect it has on hair growth etc?

I have some very corse dark hairs on my chin which I have had for a while and I tend to pluck them. I have been told not to do this as it makes them even more corse. But why does waxing not have this effect? are the hair not being pulled out from the root the same?

And why is it ok to tweeze eyebrows and it doesn't make them corse?

Can anyone tell me what the difference is between plucking, waxing and tweezing in terms of what effect it has on hair growth etc?

I have some very corse dark hairs on my chin which I have had for a while and I tend to pluck them. I have been told not to do this as it makes them even more corse. But why does waxing not have this effect? are the hair not being pulled out from the root the same?

And why is it ok to tweeze eyebrows and it doesn't make them corse?

Ive never really quite understood it either,

but as far as im aware this is how the story goes...

plucking each hair individually stimulates the dermal papilla more than waxing an area. Because you may tweak the hair a few times with tweezers before you actually pull it out, if you have a few hairs, thats alot more stimulation than if you just waxed it right off.

The dermal papilla is where the hair and blood supply comes from, so if you stimulate this, your making the hair stronger bacause it will get 'fed' more.

eyebrows are what we call terminal hair, so they cannot get any worse. like the hair on our heads, bikini line, eyelashes. The hair on a womans lip and chin, and all over their body really, is superflous hair, its fine downy hair, that if plucked, can get worse due to this stimulation.

I could be wrong, theres not really much information on this to behonest. I dont think any scientists care enough to research it! lol.

That's my understanding too - there has never been any research into it, but several respected electrolysis texts warn that any hair removal method which "plucks" the hair from its the root (i.e. waxing, sugaring, threading or tweezing) will cause irritation and potential damage to the follicle - this in turn stimulates an increase in blood supply, which of course carries hormones that stimulate hair growth. In addition, if any damage is caused to the follicle, it is believed that it will rebuild itself a little sturdier with a more developed capillary system each time. Eventually, as Katelisa said, these two factors may result in the vellus hair becoming terminal hair.

Bear in mind, however, that we're talking about a loooong period of time here - the occasional tweeze or wax isn't going to turn anyone into a gorilla overnight! :)

I believe it's more of an issue for facial hair due to its visibility and an increased sensitivity in this area to hormonal changes (not sure how true that is), and for this reason some technicians recommend electrolysis or IPL rather than starting down the road of waxing. Opinion on that remains divided amongst hair removal technicians, however! :D

Andy x

If you wax then it slows the hair growth down as well and makes it thinner.
Using tweezers can cause ingrowing hairs if not done right.

waxing is notorious for causing ingrown hairs if you don't exfoliate, especially on bline, not just tweezing!!!

Oh goodness, these are very outdated myths.

Please read Katelisa's and Axiom's posts, as they will provide you with the sturdier facts that have research and evidence to back them up :green:

thanks guys, I still don't understand why these methods don't make eyebrows grow back corser??

Those hairs that start growing out of our chin tend to be hormonal. They are much more coarse and stubborn. In some people they tend to start around our late 20's to early 30's and they really take over once us women start menopause. We also start around the same age frame getting those dark thicker hairs on the back of our thighs and our bikini lines tend to start expanding... all hormonal.

eyebrows are what we call terminal hair, so they cannot get any worse. like the hair on our heads, bikini line, eyelashes. The hair on a womans lip and chin, and all over their body really, is superflous hair, its fine downy hair, that if plucked, can get worse due to this stimulation.

thanks guys, I still don't understand why these methods don't make eyebrows grow back corser??

This should help Honey xx

Ok guys... I understand what you've all said, but this leaves one thing unclear... Most people that start getting those ugly dark hairs on the chins weren't waxing or tweezing them before they appeared... they started after, to get rid of them.

Believe me when I say, hormones play a huge role in what happens to our hair.... I can tell you from personal experience, as well as listening to my female clients.

ok now I get it!! Thanks guys
So what is best for these pesky hair on my chin??

Ok guys... I understand what you've all said, but this leaves one thing unclear... Most people that start getting those ugly dark hairs on the chins weren't waxing or tweezing them before they appeared... they started after, to get rid of them.

Believe me when I say, hormones play a huge role in what happens to our hair.... I can tell you from personal experience, as well as listening to my female clients.

Absolutely. Hair is such a complicated thing, and unfortunately there has never been a clinical study that I'm aware of into the effects of plucking/waxing on hair growth, but it is logical to assume that hair fed with hormone-rich blood will result in changes to its structure and growth (whether naturally over a period of time, or as a result of irritation or trauma to the follicle).

I completely agree that the hair may well change of its own accord without any prior waxing or tweezing (as you mentioned earlier, Anita, hormonal changes result in androgens becoming more dominant with age and this will certainly have an impact), but is it also possible that plucking the hair may speed up the process by causing overnourishment as described above? Some would say yes, some no... I don't know if there is a definitive answer, but we can certainly speculate! :D

Fascinating stuff though! Maybe I need to get out more, lol...? :lol:

no doubt that hormones can play havok with hair growth, you lose it in one place and then it pops up in a far more inconvenient location!! lol.

but back to the original question...

"Can anyone tell me what the difference is between plucking, waxing and tweezing in terms of what effect it has on hair growth etc?"

Chances are unless you were born with the hairs on your chin, you have some kind little hormone (most likely testosterone) in your body that decided to put it there, and by plucking it, theres a possibility that you could make it thicker, stronger, and more resiliant to your removal techniques!!

=]

If you wax then it slows the hair growth down as well and makes it thinner

is this true??
Above it has been rightfully explained that the hair becomes terminal and thus coarse over a sustained period of time... so how can it become thinner?

I also hate it that if you wax a part of the body where there were very fine hairs, they begin to grow a lot thicker and more quickly too!

Comments please?

(p.s. Sorry for digging up an old thread, just seemed very relevant!)

Here are a couple of facts that I know to be true from personal experience as a full time waxer:-

Plucking and Shaving:
God only know why, but these methods of hair removal can make the hair grow back stronger. Seems odd as shaving doesn't touch the root but believe me, it makes the hair so hard to pull out.

Waxing:
This does not make the hair grow back any less in the long term. Maybe whilst you're getting waxed regularly, but if you stop getting waxed, it will grow back stronger again.

If you find a clients hair grows back sparser, it is probably to do with hormones and just a coincidence. Some people's does and some doesn't.

Hair growth is a mystery but thank God for re-growth as it's given me a good living:)

Here are a couple of facts that I know to be true from personal experience as a full time waxer:-

Plucking and Shaving:
God only know why, but these methods of hair removal can make the hair grow back stronger. Seems odd as shaving doesn't touch the root but believe me, it makes the hair so hard to pull out.

Waxing:
This does not make the hair grow back any less in the long term. Maybe whilst you're getting waxed regularly, but if you stop getting waxed, it will grow back stronger again.

If you find a clients hair grows back sparser, it is probably to do with hormones and just a coincidence. Some people's does and some doesn't.

Hair growth is a mystery but thank God for re-growth as it's given me a good living:)
Thanks Kim... My thoughts too.
And trimming is the same as shaving??

Anybody care to say otherwise?

Yes it is. Nobody knows why. xx

so its better to get my sack and more importantly, crack, waxed then!?

As you can tell by my username ... I loathe body hair!!

18 weeks into pregnancy whilst forming n the womb, the hair cycle is developing, later in life the hairs that grow are spurred on by hormonal imbalances, androgens also increaded levels by stress , menopause, pregnancy, steroids are all examples of determining factors that result in terminal hair in UNwanted area's, think its fascinating to know its all designed so to speak in the womb!!!!

Latest posts

Back