Pregnancy/maternity advice for self employed mobile therapist

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nimue

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Now, I'm not pregnant yet but I am planning to be in the near future, and I thought it would be the responsible thing to do to make some plans and enquiries first about business arrangements. I would be grateful for your advice. - lots of questions though.

1/ When did you stop carrying your equipment?

2/How long did you take off for maternity leave? Bearing in mind there will be no income whilst off?

3/What did you do with the clients whilst off, did you get someone else to cover for you? Did the therapist covering use your equipment/products, also if so did they give you any money for the use of equipment and use of your client database?

4/Did many of your regular clients come back to you afterwards, or did they stay with the tempory therapist?

5/How much roughly is the self-employed materniy allowence?

Lots of questions, but I just thought it would be better to find out first, rather than be pregnant then find out I can't support myself and loose the business.

Thank-you in advance xxx

Hope I can help, I've been self employed and had two maternity leaves doing this job. xx

1/ When did you stop carrying your equipment? Couch - AS SOON AS YOU KNOW YOU ARE PREGNANT! Don't risk it. I carried my couch in my first pregnancy and later miscarried, not that I am blaming this but you never know. Other equipment you can carry if light/ get the client to help if you can ask them nicely.

2/How long did you take off for maternity leave? Bearing in mind there will be no income whilst off? I got maternity pay by paying NI contributions so around 9 months now.

3/What did you do with the clients whilst off, did you get someone else to cover for you? Did the therapist covering use your equipment/products, also if so did they give you any money for the use of equipment and use of your client database? My clients were mobile so pretty much stuck to me and I did the odd appointment after a few weeks of having babies.

4/Did many of your regular clients come back to you afterwards, or did they stay with the tempory therapist? Yes - not if they like you

5/How much roughly is the self-employed materniy allowence? It's about £100+ a week

Latest posts

Back