Pretailoring tips

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DONZIE

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Yesterday I posted a thread asking for advice on applying creative tips. Thank you to those who replied to try to help me but you mentioned pretailoring the tips. Can some one please confirm what pretailoring actually means please? As I understand it means cutting back the well so that it does not cover any more than 1/3 of the nail plate and thinning out the tip prior to applying so that less filing is done when on the nail. But not all tips need to be tailored do they? for instance Velocity?
Thanks to anyone who can help
Donna

no you shouldnt not need to cut well down ,but to thin to avoid blending on the nail plate and cause damage. Also if tip is not perfect to take side down to create that perfect fit>>

I don't really understand because at Creative I was taught to cut the well back with curved scissors on both the formation and eclipse tips (no need on the velocity cos its only got a shallow contact area anyway). So I always cut the well area back to the same sort of depth as that on the velocity
Donna

hi ya
ive just brought a pair of curved scissors havent used hem yet i thought u could cut nearly the whole of the well area out just leave a slight step? or should i leave more so it looks like a velocity tip/

emmalouisa said:
hi ya
ive just brought a pair of curved scissors havent used hem yet i thought u could cut nearly the whole of the well area out just leave a slight step? or should i leave more so it looks like a velocity tip/
It depends on whether or not you want to sit the tip on the free edge line or have the tip reinforce more of the nail plate.
Not all natural nails are the same. Some only require length, some require stability. Pre tailor the tip to do the job you need it to do.

I was taught to take as much off as possible, including on the velocity tips. At the end of the day the product is alot stronger than the tip and the more of this you can get on the natural nail the better! It makes sense to me!

Hi Ladies,

I pre-tailor all tips inc velocity. To pre-tailor i use my file at an angle to file out a lot of the well area to give myself a really nice and thin well, also i file across the well to thin it out and when the tip is adhered to the nail plate it will only need minimal blending in. Of course as geeg says you cannot do this for all nail types, so i customise to suit each individual client.What i also do, is when i have a little free time, i pre-blend the tips in my box, so i have some ready to save myself time when it some to doing a full set, i dont do them all though as you have to account for clients with different nail shapes.
HTH.

Michelle x

I usually cut the same amount out of the tip for all customers, is this wrong? How do you know which nails you need to cut a bigger area out of the tip for?

Sorry if this is a dumb question!

i dont think its a dumb question at all alex! i pre tailor pretty much always when applying a liquid and powder overlay...not the same for each client tho as some have lower side walls etc.

Oh I see, so do you alter the curve of the smile line according to the clients natural smile line?

Latest posts

Back