Previous jobs / careers

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fran_a89

Reaction score
Just being nosey.... before you got involved in the beauty industry did you have another career/jobs?

Do any of you still do another job alongside?

I'm currently working as an estate agent but looking to do nails in my spare time and ideally move away from it altogether...

I was a mechanical engineer for MOD, but left last year and do beauty full time x

Everyone says that, although I miss the banter with the men I worked with,

You do what you thinks better, xx

I ran the family building company for 15 years before coming back into beauty and now also do direct sales/party plan on the side.

I was a chef for 17 years before taking the plunge and going self employed. I'm also a trained dog groomer and teaching assistant lol. But doing hair doesn't feel like work as I really enjoy it so it was a no brainer!

Before being a barber I was a restuarant manager, chef, and waiter. Now I own a barbershop and I work for the company that provides me my salon software. I'm not really sure how I even got here :D

Nurse & briefly a building society Cashier clerk. Then beauty training, then salon owner, then teaching beauty & now back home doing clients 30 years later!

I've been in and out of the hair and beauty industry for years. when I wasn't doing nails, beauty or barbering I worked in a bakery 4olcock in the morning starts. chipp shop. waitress, cleaner.dinner lady. shop assistant. back to doing nails and beauty which I love and hope to stay that way.

I worked as a legal secretary for a few years before before finding estate agency (snap fran089) and I spent 12 years in that.

I left to have my family and retrained in nails so I could work around them once they were at school full time [emoji4]

I do still have a real interest in agency tho altho too busy now with nails to work at that as well. I do miss the buzz sometimes

I work as a personal assistant/carer for a disabled young lady as well as doing nails. Nails is only small part though, would like to build it up more but would hate it if I had to let someone down due to main work commitments.

I worked as a legal secretary for a few years before before finding estate agency (snap fran089) and I spent 12 years in that.

I left to have my family and retrained in nails so I could work around them once they were at school full time [emoji4]

I do still have a real interest in agency tho altho too busy now with nails to work at that as well. I do miss the buzz sometimes

That's interesting! I'm now at nearly 9 years in agency and I'm really keen to break away now whether it's nails full time eventually or just having that on the side I don't know yet!

Iv done 26 years in the Beauty industry, I started in retail which I loved - but evening / weekend work made me quit, then I retrained into therapy - worked in a salon to gain experience but pay made me quit (after 3 years) now I'm self employed in a team of associates - which is fab - however been a single mum and self employed is scary so iv had to take on additional job for sick pay/ pension in a school ( crap pay ) , I work days in a school - late afternoon , evenings and sats in a salon - 60 hrs - but beauty doesn't feel like work - your getting paid for something you love xxx

Florist, shelf stacker, petrol station attendant, carer to autistic child, chronic illness myself (several)! And now a trainee nail tech. Completely exhausted but I love it.

I have been in education for 17 years. Firstly as a secondary school teacher, then working for an exam board and book publisher. I am currently training and already loving it, wishing I'd done it years ago. I am old enough to be the mum of most of the girls on the course but they are lovely and make me feel young again.

My first job was as a library assistant and I worked weekends and holidays in my local borough for 7 years in total! After graduating dance college then drama school I got the odd job as a stage manager and production manager for the odd small show, then I spent four almost wonderful summers working abroad as lead vocalist; mostly at Thomson First Choice's Holiday Villages, spending the winters either doing touring Panto's or working in Santas grottos as an elf! I now work full time for basically the uks second largest casting network as website assistant- I've gone from being on my feet and highly active all hours of the day and night to a desk job ha! I'm hoping to slowly build my confidence and skills up so that I can rely on doing nails at least a couple of days a week as my boyfriend and I want to eventually move somewhere up north Manchester/Leeds way.

Secondry school teacher here too. I don't think I'd ever leave it. I love educating, but also love the beauty industry. I'm very lucky I can do both!

Latest posts

Back