problem buffing gel

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bagpuss

Sleepy Geek Zzzzzzzz
Reaction score
Hiya,

This is not a problem with the gel but with how i am buffing it off. I mess about with my own nails sooooo much, always trying to perfect this and perfect that but each time i do this it means i am buffing the gel off and have where i may have some lifting (due to poorly nails to start with) i am filing above the lift line as demonstrated in my training so as not to chase it but its then just getting nearer and nearer my own nail each time and the line is still there. I start with my blizzard board at 180 the go down to my Koala Buffer 240. I can see there is still gel on the nail but it starts to feel very tender and i end up leaving it.

The reason why i am soooo worried is that as yet i haven't had to remove my gel from a client as they all love it and are just having there re balance and infill's but i know the day will come and i would never want to do to a clients nails what i have done to my own.

I have tried to buff off most of the gel then do a soak but maybe i did that wrong as nothing came off or softened. (i used product remover)

I think its down to my lack of experience and like i said i love my Brisa gel and don't want a soak off type, but any help you can offer with regards to filing/buffing safely would be great....thanks

Hi

Sorry, I cant answer your question. I am a new Gel user and have used it on a couple of clients myself. Like you, I am worried about the day they ask me to remove them (hopefully that wont happen!!), when that day comes I have no idea what to do.

I usually use L&P and find they soak off well (although it takes ages, don't know why people say 20 mins!!). So when it comes to gel I have no idea what to do.

Help?

I also recently had a client who had fibre glass on her natural nails. She wanted an infill but I dont do fibre glass yet. So in the end I buffed down and put gel on. She was so pleased with the results as was I. But I did panic as if she had wanted them taken off I would have had no idea how to do it.

K x

thanks Karin, i was worried i was the only one and didn't want to look a complete nesbit, at least i feel human now, inexperienced...but human. thanks again xxx

Hi Amber,
I usually buff down but leave a very thin small amount of gel on the natural nail it will not be noticed and saves buffing right down and damaging the natural nail.
Hths

I know how you feel ! I had problems at first. When I was learning I used to put the gel on and take it off my own nails and they were in a right state. Then I would worry what if the same happened to a clients nails. so I practised on my husband! They were fine and it really helped to boost my confidence. Try it on a friend maybe . You'll be fine !

lell said:
Hi Amber,
I usually buff down but leave a very thin small amount of gel on the natural nail it will not be noticed and saves buffing right down and damaging the natural nail.
Hths

hiya thanks, i read that somewhere on here, do i make the client aware that i am leaving a little on and what reason would i give or as you say it wont be noticed so do i not say anything. I would feel better leaving a little on.

Ali, great idea...i could put the clear on hubby then practise buffing off

the gel files down beautifully, it doesnt take long so i may be being just to heavy handed...or using the wrong file.

xxx

ali bongo said:
I know how you feel ! I had problems at first. When I was learning I used to put the gel on and take it off my own nails and they were in a right state. Then I would worry what if the same happened to a clients nails. so I practised on my husband! They were fine and it really helped to boost my confidence. Try it on a friend maybe . You'll be fine !

try it on a friend maybe..............................

Who hoooooooo i am here!!

U can try it on me if u want matey!!!!!! i've really botched mine !!! Cannot do the whites on my right had for love nor money......so all off and start fresh i say.......................when ya free !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

moi x

I normally leave a thin layer on and let it grow out.

MINKUS said:
try it on a friend maybe..............................

Who hoooooooo i am here!!

U can try it on me if u want matey!!!!!! i've really botched mine !!! Cannot do the whites on my right had for love nor money......so all off and start fresh i say.......................when ya free !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

moi x

oh you do make me laugh xxx anytime hun

can i pay u in spray tans !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Only jokin'.

If can help u out and get a bit of 'training' at the same time....muchos happy bunny (ous).
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Ambx

hi amberrose
When removing gel the best way to do this is:

Cut down length
Remove bulk of product with 100/180 file
When you have a thin layer of gel left graduate down to a 240 to smooth (wipe over the nail with cleaner as this shows up the definition between gel and nail)
Smooth over thin layer with 3 way buffer and add a coat of clear polish

The thin layer will grow off the nail unnoticabely and your client will have a bit of extra strength to her nail.

HTH
clare

Oceana said:
The thin layer will grow off the nail unnoticabely and your client will have a bit of extra strength to her nail.

HTH
clare
What if if some reason the client doesnt want to be left with any layer at all??? (me) is this impossible with file off gels without trashing the nail plate?
I want to remove every trace of gel asap, help!

Oceana said:
hi amberrose
When removing gel the best way to do this is:

Cut down length
Remove bulk of product with 100/180 file
When you have a thin layer of gel left graduate down to a 240 to smooth (wipe over the nail with cleaner as this shows up the definition between gel and nail)
Smooth over thin layer with 3 way buffer and add a coat of clear polish

HTH
clare

thanks alot guys, i will do the above, as when everything is taken from the nails they can feel a bit odd for a few days, so leaving a little on would help them, a nice manicure with a bit of polish sounds ace...also i have been thinking the only reason my nails are soooo bad is cos i have done it over and over but with a client it would be just the once so i shouldnt have the same problem, do you think !!

xxxx

Youve gone and put the curse on me haven't you !!!

One of my customers who normally wears sculpted BIO ....i put Brisa on her the other week..........she doesnt like it!!!

Trapped her finger in the car door this morning - and ripped half her nail off.

She doesnt like the fact its so strong - prefers the flexibility of the BIO.
icon_frown.gif
blinkin ora.....cant please everyone !!

Dreading filing off !! - probably just going to buff as much as i can off then Bio over the top!!

AMB XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

no way !!!!! that may still have happened anyway, she must have really wacked it. but if its bio she wants i'd go with that. I had a lady this morning who rang to say the nails i did last night are fab but she had broken 1 already, she said she did it on the zip of her boots. I have fixed it for her for free, i dont think i will ever get used to the feeling of the phone ringing to say they have broke 1, i always feel its my fault and that they must think i am rubbish. xxx

hi Glo!
Yeo course you can buff it all off (I agree some people like every last scrap of gel off!) In this case just gently go over with 240 and keep wiping with cleaner/scrubfresh to see the definition between nail and gel, the last layer of gel will "flake" off.
It won't trash the nail plate if you are supa careful!! softly softly!

cb xxxxx

Oceana said:
hi Glo!
Yeo course you can buff it all off (I agree some people like every last scrap of gel off!) In this case just gently go over with 240 and keep wiping with cleaner/scrubfresh to see the definition between nail and gel, the last layer of gel will "flake" off.
It won't trash the nail plate if you are supa careful!! softly softly!

cb xxxxx
Thanx Clare softly it is ... its not that I want it off ... I 'NEED' it off... have other things planned, lol! :wink2:

Latest posts

Back