Problems with achieving ashy hair color

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ashmaniac

Reaction score
Hi!

I'm naturally about 9-10 level fine-haired blond and I have struggled for quite a while to achieve about 6-7 level ashy hair color. I don't want it to be ash brown but rather dark grey which seems to be the hardest color there to achieve.

Something like this: http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/236x/0a/18/08/0a18089c15915f4999c87f61720b8f50.jpg

Supermarket ash browns as well as the ash browns in salon hair color lines tend to be a little too brownish for my taste. And no matter how ashy they say the are, they eventually turn orange. Usually in warm and natural lighting they have an orange tinge right from the start.

Professional hair colors have quite often some "super ashy" dyes in their product ranges, but for some reason they won't stick to my virgin hair. It only gives them a light green tinge. I'm wondering whether there are blue based ash dyes in the market?

Except for the supermarket dyes, so far I have tried:

- CHI Ionic 6A
Too brown and has an orange tinge.

- CHI Ionic 6AA
Didn't dye at all, gave only a light green tinge.

- A mix between IGORA 6-12 and 8-11
Dyed a little since they seem to include some brown pigments, but gave mostly just a green tinge.

- A mix between Koleston 10/0 and 22/0
Oobs! Turned black! After removing color and using a different mixing ratio the result was still a black. But due to the bleaching the color faded quite nicely. Anyway, apparently too much can go wrong with this. Koleston doesn't have a 3% developer so I used 6%. Maybe that was the problem?

What should I try next? Should I use a stronger developer (6%) or a different brand? Any suggestions?

Thank You in advance!

Best thing to do is go to a salon, im guessing your not a hairdresser because any hairdresser who knows wella would not mix 22/0 and 10/0 together!

I'm a short-haired guy and I did the bleaching two months ago. So I guess my hair has already outgrown it all since I cut my hair regularly.

You mean I could achieve the desired result with 0/11 + 6 %?

This is a site for professionals, and as such won't provide you with the advice you are seeking.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using SalonGeek mobile app

I'm a short-haired guy and I did the bleaching two months ago. So I guess my hair has already outgrown it all since I cut my hair regularly.

You'll achieve the desired shade by going to a professional who know how to do it correctly.

As already stated, we can't and won't give a non pro hair messer formulas

Sent from my D5503 using SalonGeek mobile app

No that's not what I would advise at all, you need to go to a professional, and you can't take advice from a forum for professionals when you don't understand the hair colouring systems.

There's a lot more to it than you would first think x

Sent from my HTC One using SalonGeek mobile app

There's a lot more to colouring hair successfully than just slapping on some dye.

However, I think you need to understand that if you have bleached your hair, it will expose it to a yellow base and when you add a blue based ash dye, it will go Green as
Blue + Yellow = Green!

Please find yourself a decent colourist. :)

That Koleston disaster happened a long time ago (in terms of my hair growth). I understand you can't give me any advices, but do you have any idea why very ashy hair colors don't really stick to my VIRGIN hair except for the green tinge and why ashy browns turn orangish in the end. Some of those colors, I listed, were used by a professional and he didn't know what was going on. I don't think it's rocket science to use "professional" colors 'cause there isn't really a difference between them and supermarket colors except for the selection. You can get the same effect with black and blond market dyes as I had with Koleston, but like I mentioned, it wasn't my idea :D

That Koleston disaster happened a long time ago (in terms of my hair growth). I understand you can't give me any advices, but do you have any idea why very ashy hair colors don't really stick to my VIRGIN hair except for the green tinge and why ashy browns turn orangish in the end. Some of those colors, I listed, were used by a professional and he didn't know what was going on. I don't think it's rocket science to use "professional" colors 'cause there isn't really a difference between them and supermarket colors except for the selection. You can get the same effect with black and blond market dyes as I had with Koleston, but like I mentioned, it wasn't my idea :D

:what::what::what:: 😳😳😳

Sent from my SM-G900F using SalonGeek mobile app

Surely you wouldn't be having a problem if salon colours where the same as supermarket colours really annoys me when people are like I will just get a box dye ok then if you want crap hair .....

Welll if it's not rocket science do it yourself,don't come back when you have green hair!

Sent from my HTC One using SalonGeek mobile app

Yeah not rocket science... bit of an odd comment as you wouldn't be having the problem you're having now....

Sent from my SM-G900F using SalonGeek mobile app

It's not green but brown that has a little greenish tinge in cold lighting, it's not bad just not what I'm looking for, more grey that is. Also, I'm curious why ashy colors tend not to stick well to my hair if compared for example to ordinary browns. This the best I have got with IGORA 6-12 and 8-11 so far. Probably gonna go next time with 7-1 and E-1. But if the E-1 is also green based then it's probably no use :/

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kio0ecag2pj96sl/Photo 5.12.2014 4.10.31.png?dl=0

I think your questions alone show how little you know about color. Sorry, but there is a great deal more to it than you realize.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using SalonGeek mobile app

It's not green but brown that has a little greenish tinge in cold lighting, it's not bad just not what I'm looking for, more grey that is. Also, I'm curious why ashy colors tend not to stick well to my hair if compared for example to ordinary browns. This the best I have got with IGORA 6-12 and 8-11 so far. Probably gonna go next time with 7-1 and E-1. But if the E-1 is also green based then it's probably no use :/

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kio0ecag2pj96sl/Photo 5.12.2014 4.10.31.png?dl=0

With all the money you're wasting messing up your colour, you could of spent that in a salon, had it done correctly and probsbly had change out of it

Sent from my D5503 using SalonGeek mobile app

Latest posts

Back