Pros/cons of warm/hot wax on large areas

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Hi,

I'd like to hear some opinions on why people don't use hard/film wax on larger areas such as legs/arms (stripless)?

I know that it's probably slightly less cost effective, as it will be using more wax which is more expensive, however other than that the benefits seem to outweigh the one con I can think of - it's easier, less ingrown hairs etc etc.

It may also take slightly longer, however I could imagine I would rather give my client an extra 5 mins for a better service.

Opinions welcome

I don’t find hard wax works as well on some areas such as legs but would always use for facial, underarm and Hollywood. Legs, backs and arms work better with strip wax

This just wouldn't work for me. I would have to more than double my usual price. Xx

Surely the fact that you can do a full leg wax with warm wax so much faster than with hot wax sways the argument?

Also - not convinced that a client would get less in growing hairs with one system than another. In my 27 years of waxing , it seems to me that it is more to do with that particular client's hair growth pattern.

Surely the fact that you can do a full leg wax with warm wax so much faster than with hot wax sways the argument?

Also - not convinced that a client would get less in growing hairs with one system than another. In my 27 years of waxing , it seems to me that it is more to do with that particular client's hair growth pattern.

I've been looking at the Sienna X film hot wax in particular, and their first 'selling point' is that it causes less ingrown hairs and is less painful. Would you not agree with this?

Just interested in knowing your opinion, from what I've gathered on here and by doing some research using hot/film wax is almost a more 'modern' way.

Thanks for your answers so far

I've been looking at the Sienna X film hot wax in particular, and their first 'selling point' is that it causes less ingrown hairs and is less painful. Would you not agree with this?

Just interested in knowing your opinion, from what I've gathered on here and by doing some research using hot/film wax is almost a more 'modern' way.

Thanks for your answers so far

I might be out here on my own with regard to my thoughts on ingrowing hairs but I've been waxing with warm wax for 27 years and I have also taught all types of waxing to students over the last decade.
If you have a read of what ingrowing hairs actually are and then think about how ANY wax works on the skin, then you'll see that it doesn't matter what you rip the hairs out with, it is down to the individuals hair type and area being treated. Some people get ingrowing hairs, some don't.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/ingrown-hairs/

If we look at the history of hot wax:
In the early eighties lots of salons were using hot wax, sieving the used wax, reheating and re-using. Due to the obvious hygiene issues with this, warm wax became more popular as we moved into the late eighties because it was disposable and at a lower temperature. Hence hot wax pretty much died out in salons.
Fast forward to the last decade and companies started to bring out disposable hot wax. As with any re-launch the companies made out that this was some new fabulous idea, lots of hyped up marketing and everyone jumps on the bandwagon. Hence how the salon industry is currently at a point where hot wax is receiving more press than warm wax.

In my view (and this is just my own opinion):
  • What type of wax you use will not make any difference to whether the client gets ingrowing hairs or not
  • The amount of pain a client feels is down to therapist skill - not the type of wax

sorry, rant over but I hate it when people believe everything a company tells them!

I might be out here on my own with regard to my thoughts on ingrowing hairs but I've been waxing with warm wax for 27 years and I have also taught all types of waxing to students over the last decade.
If you have a read of what ingrowing hairs actually are and then think about how ANY wax works on the skin, then you'll see that it doesn't matter what you rip the hairs out with, it is down to the individuals hair type and area being treated. Some people get ingrowing hairs, some don't.

In the early eighties lots of salons were using hot wax, sieving the used wax, reheating and re-using. Due to the obvious hygiene issues with this, warm wax became more popular as we moved into the late eighties because it was disposable and at a lower temperature. Hence hot wax pretty much died out in salons.
Fast forward to the last decade and companies started to bring out disposable hot wax. As with any re-launch the companies made out that this was some new fabulous idea, lots of hyped up marketing and everyone jumps on the bandwagon. Hence how the salon industry is currently at a point where hot wax is receiving more press than warm wax.

• What type of wax you use will not make any difference to whether the client gets ingrowing hairs or not
  • The amount of pain a client feels is down to therapist skill - not the type of wax

sorry, rant over but I hate it when people believe everything a company tells them!

Hi,

Thanks a lot for your reply, I found it really helpful.

Just to clear up, the reason I made this post was to get peoples opinions because I wasn't sure if I should believe what Sienna X says - I didn't just believe them. I took your post as advice and information, rather than a rant.

Thanks again

Hi,

Thanks a lot for your reply, I found it really helpful.

Just to clear up, the reason I made this post was to get peoples opinions because I wasn't sure if I should believe what Sienna X says - I didn't just believe them. I took your post as advice and information, rather than a rant.

Thanks again
Excellent, sensible person! Hope you are pleased with which ever brand you choose
:)

Excellent, sensible person! Hope you are pleased with which ever brand you choose
:)
Which brand do you use?

Which brand do you use?
Clean + easy roll on system- so fast!
Choice of wax types too - I buy from Ellisons.
I've tried several other roll on systems but this one is the best and most reliable

At college we taught with a whole range of brands though

From another angle some clients are allergic to the film and hot wax , myself being one of them. A lot of my clients also are , hence why I moved to sugaring and there is less fuss but costs a lot more however people don’t seem to mind the price .

Why do you get ingrowns from strip as opposed to film unless you not removing it correctly maybe???

From another angle some clients are allergic to the film and hot wax , myself being one of them. A lot of my clients also are , hence why I moved to sugaring and there is less fuss but costs a lot more however people don’t seem to mind the price .

Why do you get ingrowns from strip as opposed to film unless you not removing it correctly maybe???
Hiya,

Not me personally, just quoting what the majority of hot wax sellers say re: the ingrown hairs.

I would love to try out sugaring one day!

Love your responsed

Latest posts

Back