Ptlls microteach.. help!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

katb30

Reaction score
Im doing my micro teach soon and im really unsure what to do it on!! Its only 20 mins so how do i cram it all in.....hope someone can help me!! xx

What is your favourite aspect of beauty therapy? It's easier to do a micro teach on something you really love and are passionate about because that comes through in your delivery.

Ideas include: file and paint, indian head massage, basic reflexology. These would all be quite simple to set up, easy to teach, easy to resource, and I've seen them all done quite successfully.

Ideas to definitely stay away from - I've seen these done and it was a disaster, and I don't know how it got past the idea stage: any type of waxing, anything to do with hair apart from hair up, electrolysis, ear piercing.

when i did mine i did indian head massage, and got the whole group to interact. They all enjoyed it not everyone got to have a massage but it was a good experience all round. As long as you start with your introduction, get your health and safety covered and draw a conclusion at the end. You will be fine
good luck

I know the PTTLS has to be done for insurance / accreditation. But does the course actually *teach* you anything?

Will I be that much of a better trainer for it?

Thanks x was thinking file and paint but indian head sounds quite good now youve mentioned!!Im a skin geek by heart but cant really do much in 20 mins as it'll get to confusing for them...
We've been advised to try and demo something then get them involved but all that in such a short time!! x:lol:

I know the PTTLS has to be done for insurance / accreditation. But does the course actually *teach* you anything?

Will I be that much of a better trainer for it?

It's far more geared for those teaching in further education because it covers the terms, theories, standards currently in use in FE. I think it can teach you stuff like helping struggling students, dealing with difficult students (although a private trainer would hope not to get these), and writing a course spec.

The most use would come from lesson planning etc which has to be done and there is a certain knack to it - including terms used, learning objectives and so on. This is important for a private trainer submitting a course for approval and I haven't seen it explained well in any book so far.

Thanks x was thinking file and paint but indian head sounds quite good now youve mentioned!!Im a skin geek by heart but cant really do much in 20 mins as it'll get to confusing for them...
We've been advised to try and demo something then get them involved but all that in such a short time!! x:lol:
IHM is one of the ones that works the best. A bit of the history and theory in a powerpoint, demonstration, active participation, job done. Everyone can get involved, in pairs, either massaging or being massaged. Usually goes down a bomb.

I did mine in threading - it was a hoot!

I did my PTLLS recently and decided to do an intensive course :)eek:) when it came to the microteach, I just couldnt think of anything to do and felt so stressed as I only had half an evening to put it together. The best advice I can give you is to do something that you enjoy and are passionate about and keep it simple and interesting - I did making money on ebay!! - it went down really well, there was loads of interest and I felt really confident.

Good luck

Sue

Remember to practise loads before hand. Do handouts, quizzes etc...have something as a back up incase you are left with more time.

I did file and polish, it went down really well and I got excellent feedback...keep it simple and remember to check your students are learning throughout.

When I am planning a new lesson I almost script it....literally starting with 'good morning' etc etc...I find it helps me manage my time better...

Good luck and stay calm....

Sarah x

Hi-
I did my mirco teach five years ago now. I did nail painting, and built differentation in with 50`s half moon painting and gendre stero typing by creating a Power Point with male nail techs on it not women.

I had all learners practise on fake nails attached to bed roll with blu tac to ensure all learners were actively engaged.

:hug: I have just started my B.A. in education- if you need any subject specifics for your confrence paper- message me- Ive been there I know what it like!xxx

Last edited:
I did a hand and arm massage for mine and it worked well and everyone got involved. Good luck with your microteach.

Latest posts

Back