Question about men!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made my husband have one after my training (nouvatan) he loved it telling everyone he'd been to Mexico when they asked if he had been away - 12% . he hasn't had one since mind, he's not a typical vain type but he would have one if he had a social life!
Sounds a good idea Steve, but its having the call for it for a large size bottle. I've only done 2 blokes in 16mths.
I do wish Nouvatan would have the choice of 1/2 litre sizes like most other suppliers, when you offer so many % its hard to stock and use all if you don't do many. I'm not keen on mixing. Just a thought :Love:

I tan my husband, I must admit at first he was like

"NO WAY, NO WAY LISA, I'M A HAIRY ASSED MAN WHO WORKS IN A CAR FACTORY, NO, NO, NO!"

Then I did the spray tan and now he asks for me to spray tan. It's usually for special occasions, holidays and even our wedding in May! This is both of us wearing our Nouvatan spray tans on our wedding day, I have a 6% and he has a 10%. :biggrin:

He's 44 btw.

Oh and I do regularly spray tan a husband and wife to be, in fact I've done quite a few male spray tans thinking about it. :biggrin:

Attachments

• IMG_1146.JPG
    IMG_1146.JPG
    109.6 KB · Views: 226
I think there may be a couple of things going on here.

Firstly although not such a problem as it was a few years ago there are still many men who are terrified by having to come into what is perceived as such a feminine environment. As a man myself I still see them coming into the salon to buy a treatment for their wife's birthday and literally breaking out into a cold sweat!

Secondly many female therapists won't treat men. Unfortunately there are many horror stories out there about all the "pervs" out there and some people tar everyone with the same brush. We have had a number of male groups in the past getting a tan for charity who have tried to book into a number of salons before ours only to be told something like the therapist won't tan men as her boyfriend wouldn't like it.

I realise that I am painting a picture with very broad strokes here and the above sweeping statements certainly don't apply to many people but practical experience says that they are still issues out there!

Also don't forget the "macho factor" men tend to think that health problems are something that occur to other people, they are less likely to be aware of health education messages, less likely to have routine contact with health services and less likely to seek help early if problems occur, all of which can have a detrimental effect on their health.

Firstly, I was shocked by the higher ratio of male skin cancer. You obviously have a real interest in this, and good on you. I hope all goes well.

I thought about it, and discussed it with hubby, who immediately said "Construction industry". I would also say that men have to be nagged into using an SPF.

I think a "man-tan" is a great, and viable concept. I have strongly encouraged- OK, bullied- my OH into good skincare, and he has also used a gradual facial tanner. He is 62 on Saturday :biggrin:

Mine refuses. Actually, come to think of it, in the 3+ years I've been spray tanning, not one single man has ever booked one with me. However I have noticed that the sunbed place down the road is always out the door with men.

Steve, you know I have the job of seeing naked men every working day and these are men that are really into their grooming. However, I have never had one that had a spray tan.

I think it's because it looks like make up on a man which would turn them off and I'm guessing that the coverage wouldn't be so great on hairy legs/backs etc. x

Well, I tan my husband (ginger pale skin only tan he will get) his 71 year old father (same colouring) and my son who all love having a bit of colour. Would they get a spray tan if they had to go out to get one, probably not .... but they love the result!

Sent from my GT-I9305 using SalonGeek mobile app

I made my hubby have a tan after I trained and promised he could wash it off straight away ------- he absolutely loved it and kept it on the full time ( I use nouvatan )

I also sprayed a boxer yesterday who could not stop looking in the mirror he said it made his muscles look more defined and his waist smaller , he was really really pleased with it

Laura 🐶 x

Steve, you know I have the job of seeing naked men every working day and these are men that are really into their grooming. However, I have never had one that had a spray tan.

I think it's because it looks like make up on a man which would turn them off and I'm guessing that the coverage wouldn't be so great on hairy legs/backs etc. x

Hi Kim, I do my husband and he's like a silverback gorilla :green:

I also use Nouvatan and we have absolutely no problems with the coverage, having said that I would buy a Nouvaman solution for the odd bloke who asks for a tan.

Ok heres something for you all to look at.. i have come up with a new concept in male tanning. its clear that men won't go into a salon and that they are not going to buy products packaged for females. Mens skin is thicker oilier hairier Ect and men dont want to look as obviously "FAKE TANNED" as the ladies do. So me being a bloke.. and for those of you who have met me know i am a proper bloke.. :biggrin: and probabally the most unlikely man ever to enter the beauty industry.
I give you Nouvaman Tanning and Male Grooming Products The first Self tanning range i am aware of that is aimed solely at Men, we have changed the formula Reduced the percentage of the dha and used more eurythrolose to help penetrate male skin types better, and made it in a lovely fresh apple flavour. we launch it on monday At liverpool fashion week its not a spray tan its a self application range in macho packaging.... really hoping its a success :Scared::Scared:

Ok heres something for you all to look at.. i have come up with a new concept in male tanning. its clear that men won't go into a salon and that they are not going to buy products packaged for females. Mens skin is thicker oilier hairier Ect and men dont want to look as obviously "FAKE TANNED" as the ladies do. So me being a bloke.. and for those of you who have met me know i am a proper bloke.. :biggrin: and probabally the most unlikely man ever to enter the beauty industry.
I give you Nouvaman Tanning and Male Grooming Products The first Self tanning range i am aware of that is aimed solely at Men, we have changed the formula Reduced the percentage of the dha and used more eurythrolose to help penetrate male skin types better, and made it in a lovely fresh apple flavour. we launch it on monday At liverpool fashion week its not a spray tan its a self application range in macho packaging.... really hoping its a success :Scared::Scared:

Good luck with it, looks fab!
Ive posted the link on my business facebook page. The skin cancer in men statistics are scary, the more awareness the better.

Xx

Last edited:
Good luck with it, looks fab!
Ive posted the link on my business facebook page. The skin cancer in men statistics are scary, the more awareness the better.

Xx
My father has had 3 skin cancer ops and has had another biopsy on a growth on his thigh this week. I wont patronise anybody by saying this is the reason i have launched Nouvaman, because that is not the case,I have always wanted to try and get the other 50% of the population to accept False tanning as being acceptable. but if this product helps to stop someone getting melanoma how great wold that be.. We launched Nouvaman last week at Liverpool Fashion week and it was greatly recieved :biggrin:

My father has had 3 skin cancer ops and has had another biopsy on a growth on his thigh this week. I wont patronise anybody by saying this is the reason i have launched Nouvaman, because that is not the case,I have always wanted to try and get the other 50% of the population to accept False tanning as being acceptable. but if this product helps to stop someone getting melanoma how great wold that be.. We launched Nouvaman last week at Liverpool Fashion week and it was greatly recieved :biggrin:

I managed to get my step dad to have his 1st spray tan last week, still working on my boyfriend! Xx

DO you ladies advertise for man tan if so do you get many coming in for it

I don't because my husband doesn't want me to do men. Had a phone call the other week at 10 pm from a man asking for a tan. Number was withheld and I said I didn't do men. Bit strange...

I managed to get my step dad to have his 1st spray tan last week, still working on my boyfriend! Xx

First of all: Well done! Is he a convert now?

I ask this of people who don't like spray tanning: How is a spray tan different from a real tan?
They come up with the usual: "it's fake" or "it's just someone trying to show off" and stuff like that.

I usually respond with: 1. A real tan is "trying to show off" just as much--why else would we get a tan if not to look good and show off that we have time to get a tan? A spray tan accomplishes that same thing. 2. If it looks real then whose going to know to "call him out" anyways?

So I would suggest that to your boyfriend: "if the end result is the same, why does it matter so much how you got your tan?"

First of all: Well done! Is he a convert now?

I ask this of people who don't like spray tanning: How is a spray tan different from a real tan?
They come up with the usual: "it's fake" or "it's just someone trying to show off" and stuff like that.

I usually respond with: 1. A real tan is "trying to show off" just as much--why else would we get a tan if not to look good and show off that we have time to get a tan? A spray tan accomplishes that same thing. 2. If it looks real then whose going to know to "call him out" anyways?

So I would suggest that to your boyfriend: "if the end result is the same, why does it matter so much how you got your tan?"

My stepdad is, my boyfriend isnt keen on the development process... But il keep working on him. Think it helped seeing my stepdad looking natural, I personally like my tans dark so that has probably put him off. Xx

My OH does like a tan in summer, as he doesn't tan naturally at all and He is really pale he likes it to look natural.
The main thing that ours him off is the smell. He thinks it's accepted for a woman to smell like that now but not for a man.

Laura xx

I use OMG tanning and I generally use the coconut fragranced one for everyone, men too. They like it as it isn't girlie and it reminds them of their holidays. Why not try other smells?

Well men will buy fake tanning products, i made an initial batch of 1000 Nouvaman Mousse and 1000 gradual Tanning creme expecting it to be a slow starter.. and it sold out in 5 days :lol:
as i suspected,men are much happier to apply self tanning products themselves rather than have a spray tan. many customers have already re ordered so its all good

Latest posts

Back