Questionable Massage Client?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are no sexual references in my literature, so this is not the case. I am not 'asking for it.' It is not anywhere on my advertising. Please read my initial post again and you'll see that I mentioned it on the phone when I wasn't sure what he was asking for.

My website is The Orchid Beauty Room

I am quite used to treating men in the established salon where I also work, so have no issues giving men BNS massages or full body massages. It is merely the fact that I thought I heard him say something dodgy on the phone which is causing me to question his intentions.

Sorry, I should have put a quote box in. My reply was to Sunshineinme and not yourself.

Ah okay. Sorry, my mistake as well for being so quick to defend!

I honestly think it's because you are stating that you offer no sexual favours that you attracting these calls.
It's like when people advertise on ebay and state 'absolutely no swaps'. People know that this means they will accept swaps.
It is you that has mentioned the word 'sexual' in your advertising and I think that makes people, rightly or wrongly, assume that you will offer sexual favours.
I hope that makes sense. You need to take out any sexual references in your literature.
You could put that you are professional service but I really think you need to review your wording.
Do you have a link to your website?

I know what you mean. When I advertised my old car on auto trader I put strictly no offers and what did I get ? A load of offers !!! Lesson learnt.

Im sure people either think you mean the opposite of what you say or do it as a wind up.

Its the same when you see adverts that state no time wasters. Its almost certain thats exactly what you will get.

also if it does mention no sensual maasage or sexual massage on your website if somebody googles trying to find that kind of place in the area it will come up with key words and could bring up your web page x

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

I don't think it matters what treatments you offer or indeed you put in your adverts you only offer a female service only (as I do), you'll always get people trying it on...

I've started getting a few blocked calls from men asking what treatments I offer, then they ask outright if I do massage, to which I reply no.

I had a blocked call this evening, followed by a text which said...

"Hiya darlin, do you do body waxing or shaving..."

I replied that I only offered female only treatments, he then replied

"if you wax me then I'll pay you good?"

At that point my boyfriend wanted to give him a ring and ask him what part of my text didn't he understand... He didn't!

I've just ignored it, but kept his number stored as "crank"

Speaking as a man I would be incredibly offended if I received a text like that. Having to state that there are no sexual aspects to the massages you offer gives the impression that you assume that is what the male client is after.
After all it goes without saying that I dont offer any kind of happy endings or sexual/sensual favours to my female clients, I dont feel the need that I have to reinforce this.
I also think that by "body to body" he means is it a manual massage using your hands, or do you use any kind of tools such as an electric massage machine or Hot stones.

I hope this does not sound like a rant, but us men suffer a lot of prejudice within this industry and I feel its unfair.

Speaking as a man I would be incredibly offended if I received a text like that. Having to state that there are no sexual aspects to the massages you offer gives the impression that you assume that is what the male client is after.
After all it goes without saying that I dont offer any kind of happy endings or sexual/sensual favours to my female clients, I dont feel the need that I have to reinforce this.
I also think that by "body to body" he means is it a manual massage using your hands, or do you use any kind of tools such as an electric massage machine or Hot stones.

I hope this does not sound like a rant, but us men suffer a lot of prejudice within this industry and I feel its unfair.

I totally understand that and that's why I wanted to clarify that I see plenty of men for massages and have not had issues with them or even thought for one minute something dodgy was going on.

However in this instance I felt it was strange when I put everything together afterwards.

I decided to do a text reminder the day before as I do with all my clients. This time I wrote "hi there, this is just a reminder of your appointment for tomorrow, saturday 30th march 2012 at 3.30pm for a swedish full body massage at the orchid beauty room. The salon is situated in cutters hair and beauty, address and postcode. Parking is available at the front of the hair salon and is free of charge."

I thought it was friendly, professional and helpful. Then it shows it is a professional massage in a beauty room in a hair salon. If he 's genuine then i'm being helpful. If he's dodgy then i'm warning him.

Needless to say, I had a no show at 3.30pm on saturday.

Zeroprojection, what are your thoughts on my text? How would you feel if you received it the day before visiting a salon for the first time?

Also as a male in the industry I have to agree with Zeroprojection, however I think the text you sent was spot on.

If I was to receive that, I'd just think it was a nice touch, telling me how to find the place and where to park.

Although I am a girl I agree with immx. I think the text would be a nice touch for all new customers.

I have had a male client, who got naked and then whipped his towel off in the middle of the massage. I just told him to get dressed and left the room. I too was in a hairdressers, so if he'd tried anything, people would have heard.

hth

Im currently assistant manager in a spa with a very good reputation. Ive been lucky as Ive only had a handfull of "strange" clients in my 6yrs of doing beauty. I did however have a male client in with me recently for full body massage, seemed normal enough on the phone when booking, said a few things that looking back on it now were a warning but didnt think anything of it at the time as was so busy in work.

The spa is on 2 levels, recp and thermal ground floor and treatment room on the 2nd floor. It was a tuesday, there was just me and my manager on as it was quiet. When the man arrived he was VERY strange to say the least, he had very poor hygiene and just gave me the shivers. But i could not turn him away at this stage just for me having an "off feeling" about him.

Anyway to cut a long story short as i was doing his massage on his back his hands kept twitching at his side, i asked was the pressure ok as could see his hands by the towel so he wasnt playing with himself or anything! he kept asking me do i do an abdomen massage and I confirmed several times that i dont- when it came to doing his leg I was horrified to see that the heavy, hairy, unclean, middle aged man had pulled his underpants down. I could feel my knees knocking off each other as I asked him to get dressed and get off my treatment bed-

I went down to recp as he dressed to tell my manager the story incase she thought I was over reacting- as i said i was upstairs on my own- if there was other girls around i dont think i would have been as freaked out! Thankfully he has not returned to the spa. In saying this I have alot of male clients and 99.9% I have never had any trouble with.

In relation to previous posts I would not dream of texting my male clients to inform them I only do a professional service, i personally would be mortified if they were a genuine client wanting a massage.

I honestly don't think there is any need to mention that you 'don't do sexual favours' .... Why on earth would you offer them?! If a client turned up expecting this then it's them that will be walking out red faced. You wouldn't say this to a lesbian woman who wanted a massage so I think you could be running into an 'equality' debate if you start doing with men.

Funnily enough I have had a phone call today about a spray tab not a massage... This man has phoned before and explained he is getting married and wants a spray tab (perfectly normal) so I explain about doing a trial run and if both tans are paid up front then it can be t a reduced rate etc etc, explain all
About the akin types, that he shouldn't feel intimidated etc and then he goes on to ask about underwear (again I am very obliging) ...suddenly he says 'can I just wear nothing... I don't mind if you don't ....I Do mind, however remain professional and explain that for health and safety reasons we cannot tan intimate areas (totally just plucked this from
Nowhere but makes sense to me) so the first convo was in febuary with this man and he rang with the exact same vice and conversation this afternoon. I am not scared/intimidated by this... I just feel sorry for him as he has nothing better to do as he then called back asking if I 'do extras'. Bless him! Ha. I think it would be unfair though, for me to presume the next man wanting a spray tan is a perv and answer his request with 'nice try'. I think in this industry we will always come across the odd strange client... Be it man or woman. My salon has sunbeds and if I had a pound for every time I got asked 'can I have 9mins on the bed with you' and one man that informed me that we had run out of soap in the bathroom which prevented him from 'washing his hands after his sunbed wank'.

Just be the bigger person, laugh it off where possible and if it is someone that u have serious concerns about then be 'booked up' haha x

Im currently assistant manager in a spa with a very good reputation. Ive been lucky as Ive only had a handfull of "strange" clients in my 6yrs of doing beauty. I did however have a male client in with me recently for full body massage, seemed normal enough on the phone when booking, said a few things that looking back on it now were a warning but didnt think anything of it at the time as was so busy in work.

The spa is on 2 levels, recp and thermal ground floor and treatment room on the 2nd floor. It was a tuesday, there was just me and my manager on as it was quiet. When the man arrived he was VERY strange to say the least, he had very poor hygiene and just gave me the shivers. But i could not turn him away at this stage just for me having an "off feeling" about him.

Anyway to cut a long story short as i was doing his massage on his back his hands kept twitching at his side, i asked was the pressure ok as could see his hands by the towel so he wasnt playing with himself or anything! he kept asking me do i do an abdomen massage and I confirmed several times that i dont- when it came to doing his leg I was horrified to see that the heavy, hairy, unclean, middle aged man had pulled his underpants down. I could feel my knees knocking off each other as I asked him to get dressed and get off my treatment bed-

I went down to recp as he dressed to tell my manager the story incase she thought I was over reacting- as i said i was upstairs on my own- if there was other girls around i dont think i would have been as freaked out! Thankfully he has not returned to the spa. In saying this I have alot of male clients and 99.9% I have never had any trouble with.

In relation to previous posts I would not dream of texting my male clients to inform them I only do a professional service, i personally would be mortified if they were a genuine client wanting a massage.

You know this story makes me feel sick and I don't how you managed to handle it so well.

I, personally would of been tempted to ring the police up and make a complaint because as far as I'm concerned it's indecent exposure and perverts like this need to be dealt with.

Why should members of the public have to feel threatened or intimidated in their work place.

My blood is BOILING!!

Yeah lisa have to say I dont know how I managed to handle it either!! Even though he didnt do anything I felt violated if that makes sense!? The cheek of people to think they came pay€70 and we would give them something like that- ewww! Was wary of male clients for a while after that but have had no issues with people since so happy days! Althought since the incident I did see him out perving in a night club last week- took ALOT of strenght to not make a show of him or at least say something to him- but I knew it would be very unperfessional so I just had to bite my lip :(

one man that informed me that we had run out of soap in the bathroom which prevented him from 'washing his hands after his sunbed wank'.

Just be the bigger person, laugh it off where possible and if it is someone that u have serious concerns about then be 'booked up' haha x

OMG I had to ready that twice, I thought I had missed something or that it was a joke.

Kirsty

OMG I had to ready that twice, I thought I had missed something or that it was a joke.

Kirsty

Unfortunately not! Takes all sorts to make a world! Ha

Latest posts

Back