Re: staff member issue

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AmyLee

Reaction score
Hi geeks,

I need some advice please! I have a self employed stylist working with me who gets a lot of perks eg : 4 weeks a year free, doesn't have to provide backwash or styling products. Use Tigi and Loreal so don't use cheap rubbish. She also gets a lot of my clients passed over to her as I am only part time. I have a disabled 3 year old with cerebral palsy and a brain injury and we spend quite a lot of time at a pre school for disabled children,at hospital apps and with our portage worker so working full time for me at the moment isn't an option.

I've always been very relaxed about things but my main gripe is that the salon needs to be open 10-6. 10-4 at the very minimum on quiet days.

Yesterday after we had finished at an app at pre school I drove past her at 2.55. She had closed the salon and gone home.

I'm annoyed and wondering how to handle it?!

Thanks in advance xx

I would casually drop into the conversation what time she left yesterday to see if she lies. If she does you need to ask yourself do you need a replacement? It's annoying when people take kindness for weakness.

Sorry that's actually not much help, but it really annoys me when people ate advantage of someone's good nature. :(

This kind of thing was up the other week about a self employed wanting a week off in december.
The hard truth is she's self employed and you have no dictation that the shop is open 10 - 6 unless you pay her regardless of "perks".
Xoxo

This kind of thing was up the other week about a self employed wanting a week off in december.
The hard truth is she's self employed and you have no dictation that the shop is open 10 - 6 unless you pay her regardless of "perks".
Xoxo

Agree .:-/

Sent from my LT18i using SalonGeek

Unfortunatly as said above if she is self employed, she can choose her own hours. If the book was empty from 2.30-4 or 6 she most likely didn't want to sit around doing nothing for no money.

You may need to employ some one instead so you can choose their hours, and most likely make more money for yourself too especially if you are giving her your clients! Xx

Well yes she is self employed. How about just talking to her and asking if she would mind staying until closing when you are not available? She may well do it, especially if you mention that she could get someone come in on the off chance or passing on their way home etc. She might just need a gentle nudge to remind her. Give it a try and see what happens. You wont know what to do until you try it out. If she doesnt want to then get a receptionist or someone who could stay.

I don't agree that she can call the shots. She might be self employed but she's self employed in YOUR salon……….so you call the shots.

Tell her nicely that you need someone there at certain times and if she can't do that then you'll have to part company. Better still, ask her to tell you exactly what times she will be working and tell her that you'll get another self employed person to work the other hours so that the salon is covered. She won't want to lose clients.

I don't agree that she can call the shots. She might be self employed but she's self employed in YOUR salon……….so you call the shots.

Tell her nicely that you need someone there at certain times and if she can't do that then you'll have to part company. Better still, ask her to tell you exactly what times she will be working and tell her that you'll get another self employed person to work the other hours so that the salon is covered. She won't want to lose clients.

So the op gets to be a boss yet call the person self employed? As stated above when someone is self employed the salon owner has no say in anything at all, and if try try to impose their choices on the self employed they are breaking the law... Which would come under trying to avoid tax and national insurance xoxo

So the op gets to be a boss yet call the person self employed? As stated above when someone is self employed the salon owner has no say in anything at all, and if try try to impose their choices on the self employed they are breaking the law... Which would come under trying to avoid tax and national insurance xoxo

This sort of of attitude is what puts me off staff entirely!

Why the hell should asking for the salon to be open a set amount of hours be turned down because someone is self employed.... All the salons I've been in always ask this and staff don't get their knickers on this much of a twist!

I'm with you on this one!

I'm with you on this one!

How blue? It's like your landlord saying you must be open 9-9 Monday to Friday. Same thing really isn't it xoxo

How blue? It's like your landlord saying you must be open 9-9 Monday to Friday. Same thing really isn't it xoxo

Tomme ,im with you ,if you want your shop to be open certain hours employ someone simple as ,and leave the self employed to do there own thing as that is the hole point in being self employed,you ether want the pros and cons of one or the other you can not have both :-/

Sent from my LT18i using SalonGeek

If the salon is allowing you to work their it's only gods good grace that you stay open for what they want!

My landlord asks I don't have more than 14 days closed at one time as it looks like business closed down.

Hi Geeks, for what it is worth I am with Blue and Kim on this.

I see self employed Beauty therapists or Hair professionals as contract workers (of sorts). You need to work to keep the contract. If you are not up to scratch then you lose the contract and your place within the business.

Even though you are your own boss it is a business of another which enables you to carry out your trade.

If you fail that business then the business ultimately will fail you. It's a simplified way to look at a complex set of issues.

This works equallly for both sides of the business relationship
x

I see self employed Beauty therapists or Hair professionals as contract workers (of sorts). You need to work to keep the contract. If you are not up to scratch then you lose the contract and your place within the business.

Even though you are your own boss it is a business of another which enables you to carry out your trade.

If you fail that business then the business ultimately will fail you. It's a simplified way to look at a complex set of issues.

x

That explains what I wanted to say!

x

I see what you mean by the way you wrote it, but where I am the owner isn't present, I pay her a set rate per week and that's it. If she said I had to be there x hours I'd probably hand her my notice as I do the hours I do for me and my business not here xoxo

x

Beautifully put!

Self employed therapists need to stop thinking they call the shots, they don't!

This really grinds my gears. I tell my staff that if we agree on days and hours, they must stick to those hours REGARDLESS. Clients like routine and if your salon opening hours say you are open til 6 then it should be.

being closed before that or at erratic times will inly make clients think that there is a problem with the business.

I would tell her before she damages your reputation, what you expect of her in the way of working hours, it is YOUR business. If you are paying to advertise and to fill the shelves with product then she can give you some faith in return.

I see what you mean by the way you wrote it, but where I am the owner isn't present, I pay her a set rate per week and that's it. If she said I had to be there x hours I'd probably hand her my notice as I do the hours I do for me and my business not here xoxo

The contract theory would still apply as it is still a business relationship reliant on mutual benefit.

All beneficial events need to be equal or reciprocal for the business to survive, in your case everything balances as it stands. In the case of the OP this balance has tipped away from the salon owner toward the contractor, which is why the situation needs to be addressed.

I think your point is very valid and no one who has posted is wrong either way.

I think to help resolve the OP's original dilemma the issues for the business need to be laid out and re-negotiated so both parties agree on how to move forward and work together.

I don't want this to sound like it's going round the houses, but it is how this type of business works. If everyone doesn't agree it needs to be bashed out until a new agreement or compromise is made

x

Blimey tbh if it was me I would be saying to s/e I'm hoping to get a receptionist / therapist in next year so we have some one in to answer phone ect when we are not there and the cost of that will be factored in to rent review as its benefits' both parties also does your landlord give your a 4week break .... No so why are you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back