Re: staff member issue

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There's something like 3.5 million self employed people in the UK. My window cleaner is self employed and when he didn't turn up a couple of time 'because it looked like rain (hello this is England)……….I got rid of him. I need someone that i can reply on to do what I pay them to do and when I want them to do it.

I've never had my own salon but I do know that their overheads would keep most people awake at night. They still have to pay rent, rates, insurance, licenses, bills etc etc, whether they are open or shut. If I want the luxury of paying a weekly rent for having all the benefits but none of the worry, then I've always been more than happy to hand over my rent for 52 weeks of the year with no questions asked. You can't have it both ways.

There's something like 3.5 million self employed people in the UK. My window cleaner is self employed and when he didn't turn up a couple of time 'because it looked like rain (hello this is England)……….I got rid of him. I need someone that i can reply on to do what I pay them to do and when I want them to do it.

I've never had my own salon but I do know that their overheads would keep most people awake at night. They still have to pay rent, rates, insurance, licenses, bills etc etc, whether they are open or shut. If I want the luxury of paying a weekly rent for having all the benefits but none of the worry, then I've always been more than happy to hand over my rent for 52 weeks of the year with no questions asked. You can't have it both ways.

Well said!

It is your responsibly-more than hers- to make sure the salon is open and keep the good reputation.

It is your responsibly-more than hers- to make sure the salon is open and keep the good reputation.

Erm think not! If she works there she needs to keep the place clean, tidy and standards upto what are required in order to maintain reputation! And without her there to keep it open she then has no salon to be self played in!

Maybe the salon owner should take a second self employed stylist than?

I'd be careful telling a self-employed person when they have to work, she may agree now but could take you to a tribunal at a later date.

She would be entitled to sick pay, statutory holidays, N.I. Contributions etc. if the tribunal agreed she actually was employed.

It might be worth using this tool to check if the law would consider her self-employed, if not you may need to consider employing someone to suit your needs.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/calcs/esi.htm

Sorry I know it's probably not the answer that you want but it's best to cover yourself legally now then regret it later :)

your salon not hers! it is your responsibilty to keep the salon open when you want it to be, you do not pay her a wage, pay her N.I or tax so you have no say as to when she works!!!! Sounds to me like you need to employ a part time stylist to do the hours you dont!

Erm think not! If she works there she needs to keep the place clean, tidy and standards upto what are required in order to maintain reputation! And without her there to keep it open she then has no salon to be self played in!

I'm not going to disagree that in an ideal world a salon of self employed stylists works this way. But most who own rental salons do so because they don't want to pay the extras it costs to have employees. Therefore it is up to the owner to be there every hour they wish it to be open.
The salon I rent in, the owner works only 3 days, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. I am there on Fridays and occasionally on Saturdays. If she had the nerve to require me to be there certain hours to cover her not being there, I would tell her what sun deprived place she can put her combs.
I do take on half the responsibility of cleaning because I feel I should. But it is not a requirement as she is the landlord. If a salon owner wants a staff that they can tell what to do, then they need to pay the insurances and other related fees to have employees. If they choose to staff with self employed people, they have no say in the hours that stylist works.
Stylists work self employed for the freedom of having their own schedule. I take clients on appointment only, so I don't sit around wasting time waiting for walk ins, as a self employed stylist that is my right and prerogative.
When the day comes that I take on my own salon, I plan to have employed stylist as I want things run a certain way. And I will be there every working hour, or have a designated manager to cover times when I cannot be there. Hat is just how the business goes.

I'm not going to disagree that in an ideal world a salon of self employed stylists works this way. But most who own rental salons do so because they don't want to pay the extras it costs to have employees. Therefore it is up to the owner to be there every hour they wish it to be open.
The salon I rent in, the owner works only 3 days, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. I am there on Fridays and occasionally on Saturdays. If she had the nerve to require me to be there certain hours to cover her not being there, I would tell her what sun deprived place she can put her combs.
I do take on half the responsibility of cleaning because I feel I should. But it is not a requirement as she is the landlord. If a salon owner wants a staff that they can tell what to do, then they need to pay the insurances and other related fees to have employees. If they choose to staff with self employed people, they have no say in the hours that stylist works.
Stylists work self employed for the freedom of having their own schedule. I take clients on appointment only, so I don't sit around wasting time waiting for walk ins, as a self employed stylist that is my right and prerogative.
When the day comes that I take on my own salon, I plan to have employed stylist as I want things run a certain way. And I will be there every working hour, or have a designated manager to cover times when I cannot be there. Hat is just how the business goes.

Couldn't have put it better :)

What happened to the days when people actually used to work! And they would be thankful for a job of any sort! Nowadays people feel it's below them to "clean" or do something that is not directly linked to the job!

I am self employed in a salon that has only just started advertising nails, despite me having very few clients yet I am still there on my 3 days, the salon owner has my times of start and finish in the appt book so if someone calls in she can (or whoever is near the phone at the time) book in on days and times that I'm in. On slow days I sweep hair, clean, tidy, help the beauty girl set her rooms out, clean mirrors etc etc.

I'm trying to get myself off benefits and am thankful for having the opportunity to put my college training to use.. I do a little mobile now but with no car it's hard so the salon was fab option too, I can't understand why folk don't all just get on with it and muck in.. Blimey even the salon owner runs around for me if she's quiet making my clients tea n coffee etc.

I'm not sure what my rant was about but as a self employed person I know that my days and times are in the book so staff know when I'll be in and if I had to leave early or felt Ill the respectable thing would be for me to speak to the salon owner and let her know of my actions.

Walk ins are a main part of my numbers right now and I know I could even get a two fingernails repair pop in just before we close.. As per today :)

Business is money, being available is business :)

I am self employed in a salon that has only just started advertising nails, despite me having very few clients yet I am still there on my 3 days, the salon owner has my times of start and finish in the appt book so if someone calls in she can (or whoever is near the phone at the time) book in on days and times that I'm in. On slow days I sweep hair, clean, tidy, help the beauty girl set her rooms out, clean mirrors etc etc.

I'm trying to get myself off benefits and am thankful for having the opportunity to put my college training to use.. I do a little mobile now but with no car it's hard so the salon was fab option too, I can't understand why folk don't all just get on with it and muck in.. Blimey even the salon owner runs around for me if she's quiet making my clients tea n coffee etc.

I'm not sure what my rant was about but as a self employed person I know that my days and times are in the book so staff know when I'll be in and if I had to leave early or felt Ill the respectable thing would be for me to speak to the salon owner and let her know of my actions.

Walk ins are a main part of my numbers right now and I know I could even get a two fingernails repair pop in just before we close.. As per today :)

Business is money, being available is business :)

How do you manage walk ins?

How do you manage walk ins?

I'm not sure I understand what you mean Blue, think I'm being daft BUT.. They see we have nail set up from passing and they pop in and ask if we do nails now, then ask if we can fit them in now, or today I had a lady ask about nail repairs to natural nails and as I was just finishing my previous walk in she waited the 10 mins then had her repairs done.
Is that what you meant?

I'm not sure I understand what you mean Blue, think I'm being daft BUT.. They see we have nail set up from passing and they pop in and ask if we do nails now, then ask if we can fit them in now, or today I had a lady ask about nail repairs to natural nails and as I was just finishing my previous walk in she waited the 10 mins then had her repairs done.
Is that what you meant?

Sorry Hun I mean how do you decide who get the client? X

Sorry Hun I mean how do you decide who get the client? X

Lol ahaa I get you now ;)
I'm the only nail person so that's easy, they're mine all mine ;) x

I set the opening times and the treatments costs in MY salon. If anyone had a problem, they'd be out if the door.

Ever heard of the phrase, too many chiefs???

You can not take someone to a tribunal if your are self employed as far as I am aware.

If you are self employed and can't be bothered to put the initiative into having your own salon, buy the stock, designing the price lists, doing the advertising, waking and breathing your business, then you should expect to have ground rules such as opening times.

Get a grip people!

I set the opening times and the treatments costs in MY salon. If anyone had a problem, they'd be out if the door.

You can not take someone to a tribunal if your are self employed as far as I am aware.

If you are self employed and can't be bothered to put the initiative into having your own salon, buy the stock, designing the price lists, doing the advertising, waking and breathing your business, then you should expect to have ground rules such as opening times.

Get a grip people!

Agree!

I rent a beauty room in a salon. It's my business within the salon and if I don't have a client I talk to the hair clients about my products etc, make the tea, sweep the floor, answer the phone and anything else that needs doing. I work the salon hours and I wouldn't dream on leaving early unless I had a good reason. My land lady wants me to be there for her clients if they want me and so do i and i want the place looking its best for my clients. She got rid of the last person renting my room because of this and I don't blame her. I open up every morning (I like to go in an hour before start time to get organised, sad I know! Lol!) and I leave with everyone else even if it's 12 hours later. Anyway what I'm trying to say is you can't tell people what to do when they are paying rent as you're not their boss but you shouldn't have to as they should know better.
P.s. I don't have a contract.

Get a grip people!

This is where salons differ...

You, a salon owner are not responsible for advertising or stock of a self employed person.

If this suits you and your S.E therapists and you have an agreement on opening hours and this works for you then great.

But that doesn't mean that all salon owners can dictate SE hours.

Our SE have the chance to work 61 hours per week in our salon-they choose not to work quiet days, but still pay 1 flat rate rent so the owner is happy. They sort their own appointments, stock, hours, uniforms, advertising. They don't answer to anyone, if they want to work 10-1 or 9-8 that's is their choice.

Xx

Get a grip people!

Then you should be paying the staff pay checks each week on a commission, as well as handling taxes, if you are dictating when they work and what they charge.
I pay rent in a salon to carry on my own business. I pay for ALL my own supplies, insurance, marketing, etc.. And the reason I am self employed is the freedom of my own business, as well as the choices of carrying my own products. My rent only pays for my chair and an empty retail shelf. Everything else comes from my own pocket.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back