Refund on hair?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tinkers89

Reaction score
hi i was just wondering if anyone could provide me with some advice on some trouble I'm having with a client. I'll start from the beginning. A couple of days ago a new client came into the salon wanting a complete change in style and colour, her hair was long thick dark brown with patches of black hair, of where she applied the colour herself previously. She wanted to change to a lighter brown with a flash of blue and have it cut passed her shoulders. So I explain to her i would have to strip (bleach) the old uneven colour out to do this, then apply the new lighter brown and bleach the section of hair (again) to where she wanted the blue using crazy colour (semi permanent colour). She was happy for me to do so. So just before I started I told the client it would be a long process due to the change she wanted and have you got time she said yes that's fine no rush.
So I began doing this everything was going perfectly hair lifted great blow dried it applied the lighter brown (6.3 with a hint 12.1 to tone the orange with 20vol) and section the hair to add the second bleaching (in foils) . Colour was perfect bleach lifted to level 9. Processed to apply the crazy colour for the flash, left it on 35 mins. Shampoo it off and for some reason never took at all (I've never known this to happen before using this brand). Anyway continued to cut and blow dry the hair. I explain to the client I'm unsure why the crazy colour never took but come back the following day (free of charge) and I'll reapply another colour she was happy to do this. The whole process took me 5 hours to do. I've used crazy colour for years and never had this problem.
The following morning I receive a phone from this client saying she was unhappy with her hair and she wanted all her money back or she will take me to court (she said this in a very abusive manner). So I tried to explain to her again about coming in (free of charge) for me to sort it out. She didn't want do this she just wanted her money back. So I told to come in the salon and we will have a chat. So she did, when she arrived she was extremely abusive and abrupt towards me and the salon owner and the other girl that worked there. She just wanted all her money, again I offered to do the colour flash free of charge she said no. I said I refund you for the colour flash but not the rest of the work because there is nothing wrong it. she said that wasn't good enough then went on to say she was taking me to court. So i gave her my business details (as I'm self employed).
Later that day her daughter contacted the salon asking to speak the salon owner she was busy that day so she to the daughters client ring or come in tomorrow. So the client rang the following day saying what happened and then asking for half of the money back, she said no due to her being abusive towards me and everyone else. Now her daughter is sending via facebook demanding the money back or she will take me to court.
I was looking for some advice on handling this matter or do I just her a refund?
thanks

Do not refund

.Did you take pictures of the hair after you did it?

She is trying to bully and scare you in to giving her a refund, you need to contact your insurers and let them deal with her, this what you pay them for.

Take screen shots from Facebook and get witness statements from your co workers to back up the abusive behaviour, if it happens again call the police ASAP. Pass your co works details on to your insurers, do not have any further contact with this client what so ever as your insurers will deal with her should she follow up on her claim.

Unfortunately as you have offered a partial refund you have admitted liability so this may go against you should the client take it further.

Can I ask what strengths bleach you used?

Did you carry out strand tests and skin tests?

Sent from my GT-I8190N using SalonGeek mobile app

I've had issues with fudge & crazy colour not taking after bleaching the hair, the only thing I could put it down to was not using an anti oxy shampoo after bleaching I think it may have been the hair was too alkaline after the process and the colour just kept rinsing right back out :(

How are you bleaching the hair?

yes i always take photos of before and after each client. ok thanks Lady Murasaki i will do that, as the client seems to continue to send me via facebook.
blondor with 40vol as her hair was quite dark. first bleach all over a part from the roots as she was 80% grey. then i reapplied the bleach to lift it a slightly more so the crazy colour would really pop (as if it would of taken).
it was the crazy colour lilic that i used and it just rinsed right out but before i rinsed i checked it and it appeared to take so im unsure what happened. ive contacted crazy colour to find out why this could.

yes i always take photos of before and after each client. ok thanks Lady Murasaki i will do that, as the client seems to continue to send me via facebook.
blondor with 40vol as her hair was quite dark. first bleach all over a part from the roots as she was 80% grey. then i reapplied the bleach to lift it a slightly more so the crazy colour would really pop (as if it would of taken).
it was the crazy colour lilic that i used and it just rinsed right out but before i rinsed i checked it and it appeared to take so im unsure what happened. ive contacted crazy colour to find out why this could.

It sounds to me the double application of bleach has trashed the cuticle and they're not closing up again, hence the crazy colour just washing straight out

Sent from my D5503 using SalonGeek mobile app

Using 12% is your answer.

You would have been better with 3%, if you've broken manufacturers instructions ( which I'm guessing you may have unless you have use a bleach that recommend this) then the client has an argument.

As said above, crazy colour works on the cuticle layer, if that's trashed then the product won't work.

Manufacturers instructions state to pre lighten hair to white for the crazy colour for the I colour to be vibrant. Then for the crazy colour to be applied to towel dried hair. After I shampoo I applied small amount of conditioner to close the cuticle up. So I'm still unsure why this happened as I've never had any trouble with this before.

Manufacturers instructions state to pre lighten hair to white for the crazy colour for the I colour to be vibrant. Then for the crazy colour to be applied to towel dried hair. After I shampoo I applied small amount of conditioner to close the cuticle up. So I'm still unsure why this happened as I've never had any trouble with this before.

Could the conditioner acted as a barrier?
I had this before with crazy clours pinkissimo, the colour took near the ends but not the root or much of the mid-lengths. I never did get to rectify it as the client got impatient and made excuses to have me leave and told ppl what a terrible hairdresser i was.

When i did underneath my own fringe at home as an experiment i dampened dry hair with water only and applied the pinkissimo and it took brilliantly (i was already bleach blonde at the time) so maybe your clients cuticles remained open or the conditioner acted as a barrier. Im stumped tbh.

Sent from my GT-S5830i using SalonGeek mobile app

All sounds a bit odd to me.
Why did you use 6.3 and then add 12.1 to counteract the warmth when you could hsve just gone straight in with a cool base, you are not meant to intermix high lifts with anything other than high lifts. This coupled with using 40vol has probably wrecked her hair.
Why didn't you use a colour remover or a bleach bath to preserve her condition?
I am with the others the blue hasn't taken due to the hair being wrecked.
My opinion? give her the money back and maybe invest in a basic colour correction course as there are several errors in your application and techniques.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

I Used 6.3 with a hint of 12.1 to take the orange tone out. I've always found this works wonders.
Her wasn't ruined it was in good condition. as i never left the bleach on for very long. I've never found a colour remover to work very well. if you could recommended one that would be great?
I also heard from the crazy colour company as it could of been the hair wasn't light enough this could be why it never taken. But I think doing that would extremely damage the clients hair.
I've found not using conditioner before application helps it take. So maybe the conditioner acted as barrier.
The matter was resolved with the client and she never got a refund.
Thanks for everyones helpful advice much apprenticed.

I Used 6.3 with a hint of 12.1 to take the orange tone out. I've always found this works wonders.
Her wasn't ruined it was in good condition. as i never left the bleach on for very long. I've never found a colour remover to work very well. if you could recommended one that would be great?
I also heard from the crazy colour company as it could of been the hair wasn't light enough this could be why it never taken. But I think doing that would extremely damage the clients hair.
I've found not using conditioner before application helps it take. So maybe the conditioner acted as barrier.
The matter was resolved with the client and she never got a refund.
Thanks for everyones helpful advice much apprenticed.

I really don't understand a lot of what you did? Using 12% to bleach is a big no-go...but then to go back and re-bleach an area that has already been bleached with 12%?!

What tone is .3 in your range?

And you really shouldn't ever mix a highlift tint with a regular tint.

If this had have been taken further...you may have had a serious problem as you've gone against several manufacturers instructions and could've seriously destroyed her hair.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

I dont know why people are making a big deal about how you bleached it or anything. Blondor says you can use 40vol off scalp and wouldnt say that if you cant. Dont stress if everything but the blue was awsome and you offered to refund her for that then thats all she can have and if witnesses that know she liked it all but that piece then that all she has to stand on.

Sent from my C6603 using SalonGeek mobile app

I dont know why people are making a big deal about how you bleached it or anything. Blondor says you can use 40vol off scalp and wouldnt say that if you cant. Dont stress if everything but the blue was awsome and you offered to refund her for that then thats all she can have and if witnesses that know she liked it all but that piece then that all she has to stand on.

Sent from my C6603 using SalonGeek mobile app

Yes wella state you can use up to 12%. However this doesn't mean you have to. And doesn't mean it's always the correct thing to do based on each individual clients needs.

I only bleach it using 40 vol for 10 mins as I only needed to take the first layer of colour off so I could make the the colour the client wanted even and that little bit lighter. As for the second time it was just the part where the colour flash was intended to be. As crazy colour states the hair needs to be pre lighted to white. Which is what I did it was lifted to a yellow blonde colour as I felt lifting the hair to white would ruin the clients hair and usually unnecessary. As I've found in the past the yellow blonde usually allows the crazy colour to take to a lovely bright colour.

Hair doesn't lift to white anyway! Unless they take it home in a carrier bag.

Sorry but there's a list of errors and lack of understanding that when on here. And to be honest the client may of had a case.

You need to look at - counteracting shades, the use of bleach during a colour correction, peroxide strengths.

Hair doesn't lift to white anyway! Unless they take it home in a carrier bag.

Sorry but there's a list of errors and lack of understanding that when on here. And to be honest the client may of had a case.

You need to look at - counteracting shades, the use of bleach during a colour correction, peroxide strengths.

Agreed.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

I only bleach it using 40 vol for 10 mins .... As crazy colour states the hair needs to be pre lighted to white. .

Where does it say that? It doesn't on any bottles I've got here.
You need to apply to pre-lightened hair which for bright colours usually means to a pale yellow. Also, it lasts longer if applied to dry hair rather than damp hair in my experience and you could retail a fresh bottle and gloves to the client to use for topping up the colour.

Latest posts

Back