Rent advice

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kel's25

Reaction score
HI guys,

im after some advice i already rent a room above a hairdressers i pay 460 a month and that includes all bills. well im getting so busy i cant take anymore clients on so they have offered to jiggle things around and put me in another room. so i can take on someone else on.

she want 460 a month for that room too. considering they do the reception for me and i have alot of there clients coming to me, and i save on rates etc.

her rent for the whole shop is 14,000 a yr and ill be paying 11.000ish of it.
im thinking i might aswell well do a shop of my own but then its not just that its all that goes with opening a salon.

what do you guys pay for your rooms and if you have two rooms what do you pay and what does it include?

mini dilemma

thanks in advance

xx

Last edited:
What will you gain by having another room hun? Will you be taking someone else on? If you are already busy that you cannot take any more clients, will there be a benefit to taking an additional room?

What will you gain by having another room hun? Will you be taking someone else on? If you are already busy that you cannot take any more clients, will there be a benefit to taking an additional room?

Yes im a bit confused by that too.....

sorry guys ive edited my post. i am going to take someone else on to work for me in the new room xx its been a long bust day ha ha

It sounds like your next step would be to get a salon of your own. If you're doing that well, maybe you should look into the pros and cons.

If you had another room for the same price and were paying staff, would it be worth your while?

I have a room within a hairdressers. I pay £280 per month, utilities included but i buy my own products. HTH xx

I have to say that as a salon owner my rent is one sixth of my monthly outgoings. When i hear people say they want to open their own shop cos what they are paying for one room almost pays the rent on the whole shop, it makes me realise that people really don't know how much money you need to run a salon.
On top of your rent is; rates, water, gas, electric, phone, advertising, accountant fees, solicitors fees, upkeep of the shop, stock, ppl licence, prs licence, any other licences for certain services, vat bills, PDQ machine rental fees, printing costs,waste collection, salon software and so forth. Even silly things add up like tea, coffee, toilet rolls, laundry.......and the list goes on.
I would think very carefully before thinking you can run your own salon and make sure you have taken everything into account.
I don't mean to sound like a killjoy but i hear this a lot and people should be aware of what it all entails before going ahead.

Your not a killjoy just realistic! i know what else goes into running a salon as i have managed salons and ask question and have a fab book rcommended by the salon magazine.

i just wanted to see how much people pay for two rooms so i can way up pros and cons if you know what i mean.

thank you for your advice its great

xx

Your own salon is gonna cost a lot more than £1000 per month. If you can fill another therapists column then you got a decent deal.

If you are taking someone else on and having to pay rent on another room then you need to make sure she will be busy enough to be able to cover the rent and her wages.
If you know you can then go ahead.
Having a new therapist though you will need to have a chat beforehand to make sure your services are the same.
For example if client A goes to see you for a facial and she has a great facial she will be happy. If next time client A goes to the other therapist and she again has a great facial but the therapist included a hand and arm massage whilst the mask was setting then the client is more likely to go back to the 2nd therapist as she has gotten more for her money.
Therapists all have their own way of doing things but you need to talk through things like this first as believe me it will save a lot of problems later.

thanks for your help i have a therapist who works 1 day a wk for me and ive trained her up so we are both consientant with our treatments.

she covered my clients while on holiday and they all were happy with her and her standards and services. so im half way there.

i think the only thing that bothers me is that i will be paying nearly all the hairdressers shop rent, i know i dont have all the other bills, rates, suppliers etc.

i think i might talk to her and see if i can come up with some other deal.

oh if your therapists are on comission only what is your percentage split? also if you do comission bases are you liable for holidays etc?

thanks for your words of wisdom and knowledge xx

I pay 40/60 on commission basis.
I supply all furniture and stock. I do the advertising, take appointments etc....
All they have to do is the treatments and i provide everything else.
Being on commission they are self-employed so can really decide their own hours.

:smack:
HI guys,

im after some advice i already rent a room above a hairdressers i pay 460 a month and that includes all bills. well im getting so busy i cant take anymore clients on so they have offered to jiggle things around and put me in another room. so i can take on someone else on.

she want 460 a month for that room too. considering they do the reception for me and i have alot of there clients coming to me, and i save on rates etc.

her rent for the whole shop is 14,000 a yr and ill be paying 11.000ish of it.
im thinking i might aswell well do a shop of my own but then its not just that its all that goes with opening a salon.

what do you guys pay for your rooms and if you have two rooms what do you pay and what does it include?

mini dilemma

thanks in advance

xx

What the salon owner pays in rent is not really your concern. A room for 460 amonth all in is an ok deal. The fact is that without HER SALON you wouldn't even be having the dilemma of being so busy you need staff!!!
The rent and rates on a salon is only the very start. There is no reason why the salon owner should give you a free ride.

Latest posts

Back