Renting a Room in a hair salon

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

desiree53

Reaction score
Hi everyone

I have been offered the opportunity to rent a room in a hair and beauty salon. The owner wants £100.00 per week for the rent Plus 30% of my takings. Is this a good deal? They will do my marketing and provide all facilities i.e. phone, reception area and teas and coffees for my Clients. I think this might be a little too high? Would be a great help if I could get your advice on this.

They have also offered to reduce the rent for the first few months until I get up and running.

Lynn :)

Do you have to provide the products as well?

I would say it was a little high usually you are commission based or pay rent but I have never heard of both!

The salon I work at works on commisson and it works really well for all of us we get advertising phone etc.

I'd shop around and work out how much you need to make to break even before making any decisons. For me that would be almost 4 sets of nails a week to cover the rent and then they would take 30% off seems a lot!

Yes I would have to provide all my own products. They will supply the desk, but I would have to supply a chair for me and for the Client. It's a great salon and is well established. I've not heard of rent plus commission either. The other thing I have to think about is that I would have to travel about 45 mins there and back. I don't want to miss out on a good opportunity, but also don't want to find myself working hard for little return.

Thanks for your advice :)

hi,

I personally think this is alot to take off you £100pw plus a commission , i would say one or the other not both.

x

It is a lot chick and that travelling isn't too bad but you need to think of your petrol costs.

If you are providing your own products you are looking for a 50/50 or 60/40 split in your favour.

Hello :) I tried this before and i was paying £80 a week in a hairdressing salon. It didn't work out for me, but i think it depends. do you already have clients that will follow you there? are there chances of gaining alot of new clients? 100 pw plus 30% does seem alot. maybe you could sort of plan a typical day or week and sort of get some numbers you could work with to get an idea? hope this helps and i didn't go on!!

Thanks very much for all your comments. I knew it was asking too much but it's a great help to get other peoples opinion. I think I am going to hold out for something better and closer to home.

Yeah that seems hell of a lot, I rent a beauty room in a hair salon and she only takes 30% off me and I supply all my own products and thats all! xx

That very interesting because I have also been offered a lovely nail bar in a hair salon but it is 30 - 40 minutes drive away. I am in two minds whether just to go for it or to try to find something closer to home???? The customers I have are all in the opposite direction???
Good luck with your choice

Hi Everyone

I spoke to the owner and told him that I think it's too much and he has asked me to wait until tomorrow before I make a final decision to turn it down. I think he is going to come back to me with a better offer. I will have to travel but it is in the right area and that is what matters. So Melons, if you think that your opportunity is in a good catchmet area, then I think it would be worth considering. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Bit late....but I also think thats a bit high. Especially as its quite a drive away as well. I pay half of that and no commission. I supply all my own products and everything, but they are quite good like taking telephone bookings for me and offering tea&coffee if someones not busy etc... And theyve done one side of the window with all my nail stuff to advertise me too. Hth xx

That really is a lot of money, for that price you could rent your own room off a private landlord and really be your own boss, there is no other way !!!

Hi Hun,
No way! That is way too much, it needs to be one or the other.
I did rent beauty rooms over hair salon, was very lucky I only paid 15%.
But it was rubbish, read my blog on New salon to see why I left......
I am now about to rent a new nail room only - in sunbed shop, it is tiny, but a busy shop and no other nails salons too near, I am paying £50 per week for 6 months then a rent review. I think mine is very fair.
£100 a week is probably OK if it is a very afluent area......mine is not.
Good luck hun.
Lotsa luv x x :hug: x x

Latest posts

Back