Renting a room...Is this reasonable??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoSu

Reaction score
I am about to open my new beauty salon and have a woman interested in renting a room in order to practice Reiki and Mediumship.

The salon is brand new and completely refurbished and I have told her that she can decorate the room herself, own furniture, etc. We have decided on £60 p/week rent but the only thing is, she wants to pay on a weekly basis.

I was thinking more down the lines of a month's rent in advance for a deposit and then either monthly or weekly in advance as I don't want her to just walk away without any notice. Is this a reasonable request? As a business landlord how often do you collect rent from tenants?

Also, I don't know this woman at all and therefore don't really want her working outwith the normal hours of my salon as I am afraid that things may go missing (stock, etc) as she will have the run of the salon as will her clients. I don't think my opening hours are unreasonable as I will be open 6 days a week with 2 late nights a week.

Sorry to whine on about it but I don't want the chances of success ruined by not getting this part right from the start (reputation, etc)

Any advice on what to do here as I've just got this strange feeling about the whole thing?:irked:

Anyone??????

Would you find this reasonable as a tenant or landlord??

I always go with my gut instinct and your instinct seems to be trying to tell you something:hug:

My landlord gave me the offer to pay weekly but I pay monthly out of choice.
I would say as landlord you should be able to lay out your terms and reach a mutual understanding.
You could ask for a months deposit and then have the rent payed weekly, that way you are not left hanging if this person just decided to dissapear and don't forget the contract stating that this deposit is non returnable if a months notice to leave is not given.

Your instinct seems to be telling you something.
Do you know this person or have you any mutual freinds?

Sometimes it's good to take chances but gut instinct usually proves to be right.
:hug:

i think you need to tread carefully

I would have a written contract for service with her
this can be for a fixed period of time as without it she can simply walkout and go at any time--AND TAKE THE CLIENTS

If it is for a fixed period it also gives you the chance to review the rent at the end of the contract
You need to consider the income you are going to receive via vis the cost to you of the room and energy charges,similalrly what might you earn from the room

I might be tempted to look at a weekly rent odr x% of the takings whichever is greater

But back to my initial comment--get a written agreement with her

Latest posts

Back