Renting above hair salon

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KHWiseman

Reaction score
Hi I've been in touch with a hair salon looking to rent out the space above for beauty.
She's asking for £40 per day (based in coastal town, dorset) and that includes laundry, wifi, tea/biscuits for clients. I just need to find out if that covers water, gas ,electric and council tax etc. I'm viewing it on Friday pm.
Is this a good price?
And any questions I need to make sure I ask would be appreciated.
Thanks
Kirstie

Some also take a percentage on bookings too. Ask about marketing, will they be advertising on your behalf too etc xx

Some also take a percentage on bookings too. Ask about marketing, will they be advertising on your behalf too etc xx
Thank you x

Thank you x
I think £40 per day is a bit steep normally about £30-35 max. See if she will give you a better rate if you're there all week.

That's a bit steep if it's just a room but more reasonable if you have a room plus some other space.

I'd be looking for (ideally) a ready made clientele list. Will you have some space on the shop frontage for advertising, leaflets on her reception, etc? If it's upstairs what about access for disabled clients? Can you lock your area off, if not then who else will have access to it? Will you have keys to the shop so you can be open earlier/later/when they're closed if you want?

They're just the first few things off the top of my head.

That's a bit steep if it's just a room but more reasonable if you have a room plus some other space.

I'd be looking for (ideally) a ready made clientele list. Will you have some space on the shop frontage for advertising, leaflets on her reception, etc? If it's upstairs what about access for disabled clients? Can you lock your area off, if not then who else will have access to it? Will you have keys to the shop so you can be open earlier/later/when they're closed if you want?

They're just the first few things off the top of my head.

I think from what she said briefly on the phone today it's the room upstairs and a manicure station as well. And they have clients already waiting for someone to go in and do beauty.
I did think it was a bit steep, she has someone in on a Monday using the room for Indian head and reflexology. But if I want it the rest of the week it's mine type thing. I may see if she will come down to £30- £35 if I'm in there the rest of the week?

Under no circumstances would I share a room.

I too wouldnt be happy sharing my space. What would happen with your equipment etc whilst the other therapist was working there, you dont know her from Adam! And yes most definitely less over all for a 'full time' rental.

I'm based in Oxfordshire and I think £40 sounds ok, so it really depends on your area i guess? Have you looked at other prices for space for your area and compared. With regards to advertising, (I think someone mentioned this?) the salon will probably have a website and adverts locally etc which you should be mentioned on but I believe that as a self employed person it is your own responsibility to advertise your own business. I also wouldn't be happy about sharing the space, however if you are offering different types of treatments, at least you know that noone else is using your stuff?? Let us know how you get on!

Im in essex and pay £85 a week xxx

I rent a large shared room out to a makeup artist and she covers lashes too. I don't see the issue in sharing if they cover separate treatments - There's no conflict of interest and no intimate treatments such as waxing.
I charge 25 per day rising to 30 after 6 months. They receive all utilities /booking system / tea coffee/ some advertising & will receive a key after 6 months. X

So we have come to a agreement. £25 a day for 6 months then £30 a day after that. I will do my own Laundry as have my towels and didn't want to use hers. The daily rent covers utilities/tea&coffee/booking and advertising. And I would rather use all my own equipment than what she already has there.

I also met the Lady who rents the room on the Monday, we are doing no treatments the same. She only does Indian head and reflexology. We can both keep our equipment locked away as there is plenty of storage.

After discussing everything with the owner I've come away feeling very positive and am excited to start in April.

Can anyone recommend a good company for A boards to have outside the salon?

Thanks x

So we have come to a agreement. £25 a day for 6 months then £30 a day after that. I will do my own Laundry as have my towels and didn't want to use hers. The daily rent covers utilities/tea&coffee/booking and advertising. And I would rather use all my own equipment than what she already has there.

I also met the Lady who rents the room on the Monday, we are doing no treatments the same. She only does Indian head and reflexology. We can both keep our equipment locked away as there is plenty of storage.

After discussing everything with the owner I've come away feeling very positive and am excited to start in April.

Can anyone recommend a good company for A boards to have outside the salon?

Thanks x

Congrats! I got a gorgeous one from eBay ....Second hand and very sturdy ...Just cleaned it up and redone the chalk paint xx

Latest posts

Back