Response from Leaflet drop? (Mobile Tech)

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karin

Reaction score
If any of you have done a leaflet drop before, I was wondering on average what the response time is, if and when you get any calls.

Have just done a leaflet drop today and no idea if it will be successful (lets hope so!) but was wondering if you usually get calls straight away or if you get them weeks down the road?

I enquired about a leaflet drop and the guy who runs the delivery company took a shine to me and said that to be honest, out of a 1,000 leaflets, you'd be lucky to get 4 responses (if that). I know myself that I just bin them and don't even bother to read them. Hope that isn't too negative.

Karin said:
If any of you have done a leaflet drop before, I was wondering on average what the response time is, if and when you get any calls.

Have just done a leaflet drop today and no idea if it will be successful (lets hope so!) but was wondering if you usually get calls straight away or if you get them weeks down the road?

HI Karin

I do my own leaflet drops (well with help from my chap) and I do these as and when I can and I have got 5 regular clients out of say 200 leaflets.

I only do my own area ie the 4 or 5 streets near me and yes one client did call straight away but the other ladies booked further down the line (one if I remember well about 3 months after) but she had put it on her pin board and called me when she was ready.

If you have the time then in my experience it's worth a try but don't expect the phone to ring straight away or you will be disapointed. It make take a couple of drops to get a response but what have you got to lose.

I am going to do one soon actually as summer holiday time is coming and this is when if find i start to get busy.

Hope this helps and you get some customers from this cheap method of advertising.

Thanks...

Good luck to you Louise as well. Lets hope we have a busy summer.

its amazing, my daughter used to do my drop, its amazing what they will do for a fiver, do you know any trusting youngsters that can help. I learnt do do the drops in low income areas and that worked best , big housing estates with big houses never seemed to have any money! Had a better responce from ads for bigger houses!

good luck

I had 1,000 leaflets printed and so far have dropped about 450 of them, which I did the week before Easter. So far......I've had 1 call which was from someone who worked with a recipient....

I'd say do it to get your profile raised locally, but don't expect the phone to ring off the hook! I paid to have a full colour ad in the Yellow Pages which was distributed in my area 2 weeks ago - so far..... 4 new clients! I've invested quite a lot of money in my YP ads, but looks like being worth it!

HTH's

Yvette
x

Wish I did know some youngsters that could help, but as I am new to the area it is all down to me!!

It was a lovely sunny day today so it was not too bad until I got to houses that had dogs, surprised I still have any fingers left!

I think it depends when you do your leaflet drop. If you do it when it can be sitting on the door mat mixed in with the post or local papers, the chances are it will get binned along with the rest of the flyers. I intend to do this when we open our salon and we have decided to do it on a Sunday as its a day when nothing normally gets posted through the letterbox. Hopefully they may be inclined to read it and phone for an appointment. Apparently statistics reckon that out of 1000 leaflets you should get about a 2% response, which is about 20 clients.

Hope this helps

Leaflet drops, you are doing well if you get a 2-3% response, you are better to drop in the same area at least 3 times rather than drop in different areas each time. I agree that the people with big houses tend to have tight purses, all my permanent makeup clients have come from the rougher areas of Fareham!! Also don't drop on a Thursday as the freebie papers seem to be delivered at least they are here. Good luck and hope you get lots of new clients.

Well I did a leaflet drop when I opened my first salon and had a good response. I think we got 2% and I think that for what it costs to do it was worth it. We had an offer on the leaflets which did help. Last year when we opened the new salon we did the same thing as it had worked before. We had different offers on the leaflets for different areas as this way you can gauge where they are coming from. One thing that you might like to try that has great success for us is talking to your local resturant to see if they would mind you doing a little goodie bag for mothers day, easter, or xmas etc, as these are given out to all the ladies when they leave and in them is a little chocolate and a 20% off voucher. They are cheap to do and it saves the restaurant doing anything.

About 2 weeks ago I delivered about 150 and nil response. Today I delivered around 200 so fingers crossed.

I have also posted quite a few A4 posters off to the local hospital and other large companies in the area in the hope that they will place them on their noticeboards.

zpocock said:
Well I did a leaflet drop when I opened my first salon and had a good response. I think we got 2% and I think that for what it costs to do it was worth it. We had an offer on the leaflets which did help. Last year when we opened the new salon we did the same thing as it had worked before. We had different offers on the leaflets for different areas as this way you can gauge where they are coming from. One thing that you might like to try that has great success for us is talking to your local resturant to see if they would mind you doing a little goodie bag for mothers day, easter, or xmas etc, as these are given out to all the ladies when they leave and in them is a little chocolate and a 20% off voucher. They are cheap to do and it saves the restaurant doing anything.

Ive done my own leaflet drops and i have to say ive probably had a couple of clients out of about 500 leaflets but im still going to do more untill i have covered my area! If you dont do it they wont no you are there so i think its def worth a shot and lets face it its great excersise isnt it!!!
Karin said:

On average, when you do get a client from a leaflet drop, how much time has passed since you dropped the leaflet to you getting that call?

sorry didnt work that well for me either....we have a monthly local directory and i put a add in there for three months...£75.00...this goes to every house in my village every month...there is no way i could have done that with flyers for £75.00....i got loads of calls from that as people keep the directories as it has plumbers...painters..etc

xxxxx

Angie

I have just done the same thing myself, it cost me £80 for 3 months. It only came out in April so I am still waiting, although I have had one call for wedding nails already (she wants to get them done for 1st time, the day before the wedding!!).

K

I agree with Zoe that it is a good idea to drop your leaflets on a Sunday (late morning or early afternoon) because nothing else comes through the door. I also agree with Chris that its a great idea to have "Introductory or Special Offers" on the leaflet.

I think it is well worth the money to get high quality leaflets printed, or spend the time properly designing and printing them yourself on high quality glossy paper. Nothing makes me bin leaflets quicker than tatty black and white photocopies on thin copier paper. A cheap paper cutter is worth the money so that you can print and cut more than 1 from each sheet of A4.

Also, don't forget that the best form of advertising is word of mouth. So even if you only get a small response, if each person recommends two others, and those two recommend another two etc... soon your diary will be full!

I had some people ring me from the leaflet drop with in a few days, and others that kept them for months. I also think that I had an equal response from large and small houses.

Hi

Does your area have a local newsletter, both villages near me do and one of them I've just emailed to ask on the cost of adverts. The newsletter is a local action group to help with things of concern in the village. The other i'll be getting their number tommorrow to ask them.
Flyers gonna do once i've moved, only 2miles away, just too much on to be pounding streets at mo.
XXXX

NailStyle said:
sorry didnt work that well for me either....we have a monthly local directory and i put a add in there for three months...£75.00...this goes to every house in my village every month...there is no way i could have done that with flyers for £75.00....i got loads of calls from that as people keep the directories as it has plumbers...painters..etc

xxxxx
That's good to hear - I've got an ad coming out in the next week or so in our local mag (I'm hoping it will work!).

glynis said:
I think it is well worth the money to get high quality leaflets printed, or spend the time properly designing and printing them yourself on high quality glossy paper. Nothing makes me bin leaflets quicker than tatty black and white photocopies on thin copier paper. A cheap paper cutter is worth the money so that you can print and cut more than 1 from each sheet of A4.

Also, don't forget that the best form of advertising is word of mouth. So even if you only get a small response, if each person recommends two others, and those two recommend another two etc... soon your diary will be full!

I do agree with this - I think the more quality and impact the flyer has, the better chance it has of achieving its purpose - all too often we get these trifold, cheap old menus from the local take-aways or A5 black and white flyers and they go straight in the bin without so much as a blink of the eye.

Some time back, I did receive this very glossy pink heart embossed design on really expensive, thick paper through the door (must have cost her a bomb) advertising her home nail biz and I have to say, that stoppped me in my tracks. Of course I was interested in who was mooching about on my patch :mad: and had a good old nosey at the prices/services etc, I feel certain it must have had quite some impact on plenty of potential clients. How many, who can say, but it certainly did get my attention and it is something I would definitely look to do similarly if I wanted to build up my client base.

As Glynis says, you only need a couple of responses to reach a whole circle of potential clients and entice them in by treating them to a first treatment discount or a goody bag of minis, and some form of incentive perhaps for every client they introduce for a limited period.

I recently (8 weeks ago) started work in a hairdressers doing Nails and got 1,500 leaflets delivered around the shop area letting people know that they now do Nail enhancements, pedicures, manicures, nail art.
When a client comes in for an appt I always ask where they heard about me and it's always been the poster in the window or recommendation from a friend, no leaflets.
I am now concentrating on this and am in the process of getting a sandwich board made.

Latest posts

Back